Hello,

I own a KH602, a Peavy 30 and a digitech RP500.

I have fallen for Eric Clapton's tone, esp in his solo of While guitar gently weeps (starts at 2:01)
https://youtu.be/rj4J6i_vw0w?t=2m7s
The problem - I dont konw t he correct settings i'd have to input into my effect box and/or amp to achieve such tone.

Can you please help me ?

Thanks in advance,

Paul.
probably neck pickup and fuzz (i'm guessing the vypyr or the multifx will have a fuzz model).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Peavey 30 watt? Classic? Vypyr?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Dave_Mc
probably neck pickup and fuzz (i'm guessing the vypyr or the multifx will have a fuzz model).

not neck the selector switch appears to be in the #2 position (bridge and middle). i don't think eric really uses fuzz pedals so not so likely to be that either. hard to tell from video what amp he is using as that would make a difference. pretty sure his strat has a mid boost though. sounds like an overdrive with some delay and perhaps reverb.

OP yeah what amp do you have?
Quote by monwobobbo
not neck the selector switch appears to be in the #2 position (bridge and middle). i don't think eric really uses fuzz pedals so not so likely to be that either. hard to tell from video what amp he is using as that would make a difference. pretty sure his strat has a mid boost though. sounds like an overdrive with some delay and perhaps reverb.

He uses Tweed amps nowadays mostly. Either Twins or I guess his EC Twinolux amp. Prior he has used Plexis, Dual Showmans, JCMs in the 80s and Musicman amps.

He doesn't use a fuzz. Aside from a wah and a leslie sim of some sort for certain songs he doesn't use much. He just cranks it up. I don't think he has used fuzzes in any era really. Not with Mayall, Cream, Blind Faith etc...
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Feb 11, 2016,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
He uses Tweed amps nowadays mostly. Either Twins or I guess his EC Twinolux amp. Prior he has used Plexis, Dual Showmans, JCMs in the 80s and Musicman amps.

He doesn't use a fuzz. Aside from a wah and a leslie sim of some sort for certain songs he doesn't use much. He just cranks it up. I don't think he has used fuzzes in any era really. Not with Mayall, Cream, Blind Faith etc...

you forgot soldanos which may be what was used on this song. eric did use aomething like a range master with Cream but nothing i know of since. he also used a bunch of rack gear for a while to. really sounds like he has some added dirt on that song so he must have used something. his fender amps don't get that kind of gain by themselves.
Quote by monwobobbo
you forgot soldanos which may be what was used on this song. eric did use aomething like a range master with Cream but nothing i know of since. he also used a bunch of rack gear for a while to. really sounds like he has some added dirt on that song so he must have used something. his fender amps don't get that kind of gain by themselves.

He didnt use a rangemaster. Never. Thats guitar legend. From his own mouth and from Mike Vernon. The rack stuff was used when he slaved his MM amps into Marshall poweramps but im not too versed in his later career shit so you might be more knowledgable there.

Mayall, Cream and some BF stuff was all Marshall and a wah. Even live photos of Clapton back then show the only thing on the floor was a wah and there is no rangemaster on top of the amp or anywhere near.

Quote by Ippon
That was from the Concert for G Harrison (have the DVD somewhere). He used a Fender, not the Soldano.

Yup
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by monwobobbo

looks more like neck/middle or middle alone? though it's hard to see really, it's not close enough in.

Ooof on the fuzz, it sounds like a fuzz to me If i were trying to sound like that with pretty standard gear, though, I'd probably use a fuzz
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If I were to guess he's using the middle position and a fender amp of some sort (twin-o-lux, or possibly Soldano), but it sound to me like he's not using the drive on the amp (or if he is just a slight bit of drive on the amp) but possibly an external overdrive to get that creamy (no pun intended) overdrive sound. Maybe something like a Chandler Tube Driver.
Clapton has never been a big effects user. A big part of his legend has always been a guitar straight into a wah pedal then directly into an amp. He is a tone nerd (and I mean that as a compliment). He likes the most direct tone from his guitar and amp. Check out the Cream reunion concert (2005) and you'll see Clapton's Strat, two amps and a wah (and an organ Leslie for "Badge"). That's it. Even in the 60's with Cream it was a Les Paul into a wah and a Marshal. It is a beautiful pure tone.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Feb 12, 2016,
I was backstage (actually UNDER stage) at a concert and was shown a small ring (almost a wad) of five different miked amps, including a real Leslie that he was using. I have to confess that I wasn't interested enough to write down what else was there.

This seems to be a pretty thorough rundown of his rigs through the years: http://www.whereseric.com/the-vault/guitars-amps-and-related-equipment/eric-claptons-guitar-amp-and-equipment-set-historical
Last edited by dspellman at Feb 12, 2016,
Quote by dspellman
I was backstage (actually UNDER stage) at a concert and was shown a small ring (almost a wad) of five different miked amps, including a real Leslie that he was using. I have to confess that I wasn't interested enough to write down what else was there.

This seems to be a pretty thorough rundown of his rigs through the years: http://www.whereseric.com/the-vault/guitars-amps-and-related-equipment/eric-claptons-guitar-amp-and-equipment-set-historical

interesting site. hmm... according to them eric did use a fuzz occasioally in cream. it would seem that for the concert in ? he was using his 25db boost circuit built into his guitar as a clean boost.
It's been debated to death either way. At the end of the day if it gets you the sound you want then it doesn't matter.

While my Guitar was done on a LP into a Marshall straight according to George and Eric. The video posted sounds like he was going for that tone on his stratocaster. You could get close by just dialing in a distorted Marshall tone or Fender Tweed sound on your Vypyr and either do the middle and roll the tone down a bit or use the neck pickup instead and you will be in the ballpark. Bit of reverb too. IMO fuzz wouldn't be needed but try it and see if it works.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Feb 12, 2016,