I use a powerful laptop and it's ideal. Trumps all tablets in terms of power, but is easier to use than a desktop.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
The most options and customizing are offered with a desktop. You have the most opportunity to upgrade any component with a desktop and not need to replace the entire unit. Even low-end systems are ready to run at least a couple monitors out of the box. The main disadvantages are cost and lack of portability.

Laptops are portable and typically allow upgrades to the RAM and hard drive and will also allow the use of any software (Windows/OS X) that you can run on the desktop. The disadvantages are limited upgrades, so if you'd need a better CPU, you'll need a new laptop as they're commonly soldered on the motherboard.

Tablets while an option don't really offer any upgrades, except models that allow for SD card use. iPads lack this option entirely. Tablet OS's and their storage options vary enough from desktop options that the programs for them will not work.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
I use a desktop at home and recently a Surface Pro 4 while out. Pretty great combo imo.
Quote by Fat Lard
post of the year, thank you
I bought a "barebones" desktop system (TigerDirect) that you put together yourself and can customize. This way I got what I need and have the ability to upgrade easily. I am a PC user on every level. I always have been since my first computer an IBM XT in the mid 80's. I like to tinker and customize on a PC. I also have two decent laptops; a Dell Latitude and an HP. Both have plenty of ram and can run all the softwares I use. I use a Tascam interface on my desktop and a Lexicon on my laptops. I still record most of my basic tracks on my Tascam 2488 or my newer Tascam DP24 stand alone recorders and import tracks into Sonor if needed. My laptops can record but I prefer the Tascam recorders. I work much faster with a hands on physical recorder with real faders and knobs than with a virtual mixer in computer.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Feb 11, 2016,
I have a beat up netbook running Win 7 still. Its old and clunky. I also have some other laptops that are newer, and they get little to no use. Go figure. One is a dedicated editing station for the Academy Videos. Got that back in 09, and that's all its ever been used for

Best,

Sean
A crappy/barely decent laptop. It certainly isn't the best, but it works. I also produce with some pretty good headphones which helps out a lot and they make easier to hear exactly what's going on. Good headphones are really important.

I say stay away from tablets when it comes to music production because you are very limited to what you are able modify inside of the tablet. As years go by your tablet will age and the tech inside of it will be ancient. I say go with either a laptop or PC since you have much more flexibility to customize the tech inside and keep your PC up to date.
Last edited by J23L at Feb 11, 2016,
I've always been fond of the Mac Powerbooks. I was also a developer doing mobile apps and the Powerbook does it all. Games. Music. Code Development. Portability.

My General setup is: Mac Powerbook hooked up to a 2nd (or even 3rd) monitor. Dual Boot with Mac OSX and Windows 10 on another partition. It's the best of all worlds as I can run either Windows or Mac stuff. I can even run Windows 10 stuff in a Mac session using Parallels Desktop.

Sure, a desktop can be more powerful. But, my Powerbook plays pretty much any game out there very well and it's not even a new Powerbook. Games will stress test your machine of choice the most and the Powerbook can handle it easily -- Dark Souls II, GTA V, Fallout 4 all run great on it and it's a couple years old now. The newer ones will be even better with better GPU's (mine is an nVidia 750M I think).

Edit - I would also add that Garageband is pretty decent for doing your music. Fairly simple to ramp up with. I used to use Live. More complicated. Garageband is also pretty much free with Mac OSX although you might have to pay a bit more for some of the extra samples. Worth it.
Last edited by edg at Feb 11, 2016,
I use a desktop because I like to get things done. Hackintosh because I like to get things done without wanting to shoot myself when windows does some dumbass bullshit.

I use a macbook pro for performing things and I've thought about a tablet but I doubt I'd use it enough to justify it.
Desktop PC for me. I understand Macs are more reliable, but I'm poor.

No laptop; portability is not an issue for me. I don't make music on the move, and don't need a computer for performance; it's the band or me on my own.
Last edited by jongtr at Feb 11, 2016,
Unless portability is a huge issue, or you dont know how windows works, a PC is the best financial and functional choice.

The only reason designers and music producers favored Macs a LONG time ago, was because they wouldn't freeze when several high capacity programs were run at the same time. Also marketing and sponsorship.

Yeah, I'd rather take a 800$ laptop that crashes every now and then than 2000$ one trick pony mac but I can't deny that if you can afford a high end mac, it will work wonders. It's still horribly overpriced.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
Yeah, I'd rather take a 800$ laptop that crashes every now and then than 2000$ one trick pony mac but I can't deny that if you can afford a high end mac, it will work wonders. It's still horribly overpriced.

True. And it's not even an issue anymore. Only was in the 90's really. I don't think any Mac can out-perform a PC.
Computers are typically more "beefier" than Tablets (both in specs and software power)

If you're going to get a Mac, try to get something before (I think the) 2012 Era. (because everything after that tends to have soldered on parts (meaning you can't upgrade Processor/RAM/GPU/etc.)

PCs are typically more "flexible" in a way than Macs in that (some of them) they allow you to upgrade the specs. And tend to be cheaper than Macs.

And remember, the thinner a device is, the more likely it's going to get hot from the CPU.
(this sort of rules the 12" Macbook out since there is no fan. gg)
Unfortunately, the only computers I can use are the older Dells that my college uses because I have no computer of my own and never have. If I'm lucky, though, I'll be able to afford one in the next 3 months or so :P

-Sharky
Quote by one vision
Unless portability is a huge issue, or you dont know how windows works, a PC is the best financial and functional choice.

The only reason designers and music producers favored Macs a LONG time ago, was because they wouldn't freeze when several high capacity programs were run at the same time. Also marketing and sponsorship.

It has more to do with the fact it was the first consumer computer with a graphical interface and that the earliest versions of design and production software and even more importantly high end typefaces were for the platform. There's also some pretty nice modern reasons to use it, specifically when it comes to drivers (more specifically the lack of need for them in many cases), software signal routing (CoreAudio wipes out the nonexistent default Windows audio driver as well as ASIO4All lbr) and the availability of plug-ins and software (granted this is becoming less and less of an advantage for OSX as time goes on).

Plus OS X is UNIX and therefore instantly better than Windows by default.

EDIT: Just realized I invited myself to get sucked into a debate which is in no way what I want. Mostly because I'm objectively right. And you're wrong if your opinion differs even slightly from mine.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Feb 11, 2016,
D'awwwwww. ...maybe, maybe not xD Personally, I go with any computer that actually works for me -w- Whether it be Dell, HP, Acer, Mac, whatever

-Sharky
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

EDIT: Just realized I invited myself to get sucked into a debate which is in no way what I want. Mostly because I'm objectively wrong. And you're right if your opinion differs even slightly from mine.

I agree.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
A Mac may be overpriced in that you can get the same horsepower for less from an off brand PC-type vendor, but they are well put together. My current main Powerbook (15" 16 Gig RAM) is 2 years old and still going strong. I expect it will continue to perform well and play the best games for at least another couple years. I have older Powerbooks going back 8 years that I still use.

I used to build my own desktops out of parts, which is also a good way to go if you know what you're doing.

Another consideration is the MAC OS X. I have had many problems in the past running Music/Modeling software under Windows that I just haven't encountered on OS X. YMMV.

I really do like having the dual boot capability because I also play games. Windows is generally better for that.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

EDIT: Just realized I invited myself to get sucked into a debate which is in no way what I want. Mostly because I'm objectively right. And you're wrong if your opinion differs even slightly from mine.

LOL. The Mac vs PC debate is timeless and never goes away.

As a developer, the mobile guys generally are 90% Powerbook users and web guys are just the opposite... and never the twain shall meet.