Page 1 of 2
New thing -> That was predicted like 80 years ago.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I feel like there's only like 5 of us on here that really appreciate what a monumental thing this is (if it's true)
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Quote by JustRooster
>Posts about Avril Lavigne on a music forum
>"We"

you're more of an old man than arby

also I have a masters degree and have studied quantum mechanics fuk u

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Y u keep bringin it up?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Because silly old men on internet forums keep doubting my actual interest in the sciences so I have to bring up my bit of paper to validate myself and feed my ego

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Chemistry but a significant portion of that was physics

Don't see why having an Avril Lavigne avatar and posting on a guitar forum has any sort of relevance to why I would find this discovery interest to be frank with you Rooster.

It doesn't, it's just really cringe and I'm trying to help you realize that. I care about you, man. #toughlove
What would be more cringey would be caring about your opinion of the way I live my life

Quote by EndTheRapture51
What would be more cringey would be caring about your opinion of the way I live my life

Or that post. That post did a pretty good job topping that.

EDIT: I'm just sayin', you've got a killer degree and hobbies and you're known as the "weird blonde pop star fandom guy." You're cooler than you advertise yourself.
Last edited by JustRooster at Feb 11, 2016,
Here we are with the discovery that light is no longer the only thing that travels at lightspeed and the thread turns into

"ur cringe"
"dun judj me"
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
is it for real this time? cuz last time they made a big fuss about it and then it just kinda faded into oblivion

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
is it for real this time? cuz last time they made a big fuss about it and then it just kinda faded into oblivion

This reminds me of the time when that lab in Japan was like "We found a neutrino going faster than light!" Then CERN tried to replicate it and everyone was like, "Ah, nevermind."
Quote by JustRooster
Or that post. That post did a pretty good job topping that.

EDIT: I'm just sayin', you've got a killer degree and hobbies and you're known as the "weird blonde pop star fandom guy." You're cooler than you advertise yourself.

Does it matter how I advertise myself?

I like science. This is just UG however so there's not a lot of meaningful discussion to be had about it because not really many people are educated enough to understand it fully - not to mention chemistry is a pretty dense topic - although I like my exchanges with Jam in the chat thread because he is at a similar level of education

Quote by JustRooster
This reminds me of the time when that lab in Japan was like "We found a neutrino going faster than light!" Then CERN tried to replicate it and everyone was like, "Ah, nevermind."

i think that was italy cuz i remember some talk about how they sent it through the Alps

could be seperate instances tho

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
I'll ask my mate who's doing a PhD in particle physics, see what he says
Quote by EndTheRapture
although I like my exchanges with Jam in the chat thread because he is at a similar level of education

me too bae, sorry if i ever smart-ass shit

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Was wondering what the hype press conference was about. Awesome news.

(Also the state of this thread makes me think this site is no good for me.)
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by JustRooster
It doesn't, it's just really cringe and I'm trying to help you realize that. I care about you, man. #toughlove

Lol, this is the guy who called me cynical.
I guess I did it.

I don't actually understand the significance of this outside the whole first moments of creation thing. I'm not sure I understand the concept either. Then again I'm not sure I understand gravity.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Yeah but don't you work in retail?
thanks stew

this is exciting and all, tbh, but of all big questions i hope will be resolved in my lifetime, this wasn't one of them. maybe cause i thought the existence of gravitational waves was pretty sure and i didn't mind the lack of direct experimental evidence. but this is cool anyway and i hope it's independently confirmed
Quote by TheChaz
Yeah but don't you work in retail?

No I work in pharma lol

Quote by EndTheRapture51
No I work in pharma lol

Okay for some reason I thought you worked retail lol.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I guess I did it.

I don't actually understand the significance of this outside the whole first moments of creation thing. I'm not sure I understand the concept either. Then again I'm not sure I understand gravity.

It's further bolsters general relativity as a model, confirms that light is not the only thing that travels at the speed of light, and furthers our understanding of how gravity works.

In short: one step closer to time travel

Now to discover the elusive graviton
Quote by CaptainCanti

December 14, 2017
Last edited by StewieSwan at Feb 11, 2016,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I guess I did it.

its importance to our understanding of the moments right after the big bang is the main thing obviously, but you have to understand that gravity, unlike electromagnetic interaction, just straight up doesn't give a shit about anything

say you have a really strong electric field from some evil tesla coil, it's nbd you just put shit around it and you don't have to worry about it anymore

but gravity isn't like that, it dont stop for noone. like if you have a super-massive black hole or your mom, you can put all the matter in the universe between yourself and the hole/skank and you will still feel the exact same effects of its gravity. i mean you're also really dumb because now you also have the gravitational pull of all the matter in the universe pulling on you with impossible force but the effect of the hole/skank hasnt diminished at all

so purely theoretically, if we learn how to detect gravitational waves with great accuracy it could be game changing for observing the universe. you dont need to worry about dust and stuff like that when you have waves that pass right through it

obv this is more sci-fi than anything else at this point but baby steps innit

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
im not gonna lie tho, i wrote that purely for the mom joke. read stewieswan's answer for actual info

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by StewieSwan
Here we are with the discovery that light is no longer the only thing that travels at lightspeed and the thread turns into

"ur cringe"
"dun judj me"

Just that on our current models Gluons (strong force boson) have 0 mass and so also travel at speed of light. Don't tell EndTheRapture but I have a degree in Maths, masters in theoretical physics and doctorate in quantum chemistry, but this is guitar forum so it cuts no ice right?
Quote by whirlpool
Just that on our current models Gluons (strong force boson) have 0 mass and so also travel at speed of light. Don't tell EndTheRapture but I have a degree in Maths, masters in theoretical physics and doctorate in quantum chemistry, but this is guitar forum so it cuts no ice right?

But gluons are virtual particles, aren't they?
Quote by CaptainCanti

December 14, 2017
Quote by whirlpool

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

tl;dr nothing anyone says on the internet counts for shit
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Page 1 of 2