First of all I believe they are EMG 81/89's. They sound held back in a very noticeable volume and distortion kind of way compared to my uncle's carvin guitar on the same amp with the same settings and chord. I pulled the jack out and looked at the connection and soldering along with the soldering of the pots and switch. Everything looked nice and tight. Now I'm not sure if its normal but my neck volume knob controls the volume to my rhythm position of the switch I believe and ALSO the middle position of the switch but yet the lead part of the switch is controlled by ONLY the bridge volume knob. Why does the neck volume control 2 switch positions but yet the bridge is only controlled by one switch position? And it does have the push/pull knobs for "coil-tapping" or whatever you want to call it. It's in a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR btw.
Okay, time for some knowledge.
First of all I believe they are EMG 81/89's. They sound held back in a very noticeable volume and distortion kind of way compared to my uncle's carvin guitar on the same amp with the same settings and chord.
Yeah, that's the EMG sound honestly. Very contained. Did you try swapping the battery for a new one?
Now I'm not sure if its normal but my neck volume knob controls the volume to my rhythm position of the switch I believe and ALSO the middle position of the switch but yet the lead part of the switch is controlled by ONLY the bridge volume knob. Why does the neck volume control 2 switch positions but yet the bridge is only controlled by one switch position?

The way these guitars (and almost all guitars with 2 volume controls and a 3 way switch) are wired, turning 1 volume control down (either one) will mute the output in the middle position, because a path to ground is created.
And it does have the push/pull knobs for "coil-tapping" or whatever you want to call it. It's in a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR btw.
Pull on the knobs. Do they pop up? If yes, yes. If no, no. You won't hurt anything.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Is it not strange that his guitar on the same settings sounds mean and heavy but yet mine (with the same settings and chord) sounds like it has just a slight distorted sound but yet still fairly clean? Even he thought the EMG's were supposed to be louder and meaner. I can even tell that his guitar is quite a bit louder than mine.

The battery is new btw.

And I was stating that it has the coil-tapping pots. Didn't mean to make that sound like a question earlier if it came off that way.

And i noticed you have EMG's as well. Do you have to run a distortion effect/pedal just to get it to sound mean and heavy or will yours sound that way with just the gain?

Thanks.
Nope. And that guitar has Bareknuckles in it now.

There's a possibility there's a cold solder joint that's making the output quite low.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Nope. And that guitar has Bareknuckles in it now.

There's a possibility there's a cold solder joint that's making the output quite low.

Bareknuckles better than emg actives?

So you think that a solder joint is the problem?

Thanks one!
Last edited by HarleyDC at Feb 11, 2016,
Did you replace the cable yet?

You probably have a bad solder joint or the battery is not making good contact if you have a dedicated battery slot.

Something is amiss.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
Did you replace the cable yet?

You probably have a bad solder joint or the battery is not making good contact if you have a dedicated battery slot.

Something is amiss.

I have a new cable on the way. Ordered a monster cable for 29$. Before you judge me, I ordered it because it was free shipping and cheap cable was going to come out to 27$ after shipping. His cable has a short in it so idk if that would throw my pickups off or what. Checked the connection to the battery terminals and they are perfectly fine. Even plugged in with the jack pulled out to make sure that i could see it making good contact and it is.
Waiting on the cable and for him to get back from nashville. Until then, I am going through everything trying to figure out more possibilities. My main curiosity is whether or not my pickups are acting right as i described in the opening post about how the switches and pots are acting.

Thanks guys
Quote by HarleyDC
Bareknuckles better than emg actives?

Absolutely.

And it's either a cold solder joint or a bad battery clip.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Is it thew new quick connect stuff EMG uses or he old school solder connections?
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
If it's quick connect the connections could be a little loose maybe.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
If it's quick connect the connections could be a little loose maybe.

I'll have to check them. And i see you have boss pedals. Think i'd be happy with the boss distortion pedal that's 49.99$? Trying to get a metallica sound.
Are the pickup height the same? If pickups are higher and closer to the strings, they are louder..
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
honestly if you want to keep the EMG's, cut the quick connect shit [NOT on the pickup] though on the pots/jack/battery clip/switch, and solder it all in.

i have gotten screwed twice by the quick connect junk on my SG. not again.

/trashed's opinion
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
honestly if you want to keep the EMG's, cut the quick connect shit [NOT on the pickup] though on the pots/jack/battery clip/switch, and solder it all in.

i have gotten screwed twice by the quick connect junk on my SG. not again.

/trashed's opinion

My pots and everything are all soldered.
i have also a battery clip fail on me, and it didn't have as much output, maybe that is what your problem is.

chase the wires down with a meter, check for continuity and resistance, that will lead you to the bad connection.

also, its not always a bad thing to reflow solder joints. its quick and easy.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by HarleyDC
I'll have to check them. And i see you have boss pedals. Think i'd be happy with the boss distortion pedal that's 49.99$? Trying to get a metallica sound.

Honestly I would stay away from Boss distortion pedals, I have never heard one that sounded good.

I like the sounds of my DD-3, CH-1, and FRV-1, but I only got these due to the 3 for 2 deal boss were doing a few months ago.

The best distortion pedals I have heard are EVH 5150 pedal and just simply using something like a Tubescreamer to piush your amp harder.

You are always going to get the best tones from a decent valve amp distortion channel though.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay