Im looking to buy my first tube amp and I dont want to spend more than 600 dollars. Im mainly looking at the Fender Blues jr and the Vox Ac15. But The Hughes and Kettner tubemeister 18 has peaked my interest as well. Im in a sort of shoegazey band, but I play lots of different things except country and metal. I was hoping to get some of your guy's opinions on practice tube amps!

Thanks!
-Samuel
Also consider Carvin.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I looked at both amps and some others and decided on the blues Jr with the nos Jensen speaker. You can't go wrong. People seem to love the blues Jr or hate them. Some say it's only a proper amp after mods. I have played it stock since I got it a few years ago. To me it's a good all around practice amp. Just depends on what sounds good to your ears.

Have you played through these amps before?
I have, I liked them both, I preferred the sound of the of the Vox a little bit, but its bigger and heavier, also it is about 100 dollars more expensive.
Is it worth the extra 100 and the extra weight to you?

If so go for it. You can't go wrong especially if it sounds good to you.
Vox, Traynor, Carvin, Fender, H and K...why haven't I been in this yet?!?

All of these are awesome, to the best of my remembering

-Sharky
Bigger? Heavier? Are you gigging with it? If so, just get a handtruck to wheel it around with. Or look into getting casters for it. And $100, over the lifetime of an amp, is such a minimal cost. If you have played both and liked the Vox better, I say go for the Vox. I've got an AC30 and love it, FWIW. If you can eek out that extra hundo, do it. Eat ramen for a week, or something.

Good luck.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I don't necessarily plan on gigging with it, but I need to load it, as well as all of my other gear in my car as I live about 20 minutes away from my band mates, but im also only sixteen, and 630 dollars is quite a bit. Im just really worried I might regret my decision.
If you like the Vox AC15, Look at either the Vox Night Train, or the Vox AC4C1-12. I have the AC4C1-12 and at high volume, it will cut through. If you gig with it, you just have to Mike it up or run through the PA. I love the tones I get with this amp, and it is real good for low volume practicing.
Quote by prs-user
II have the AC4C1-12............I love the tones I get with this amp, and it is real good for low volume practicing.

So why are you on about improving the tone by changing out the speaker in another thread?
Quote by SpiderM
So why are you on about improving the tone by changing out the speaker in another thread?

haha.

it is still a decent little amp, but you can do better under $600.

look for a used mesa combo or even a tiny/dark/etc. terror.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I've played the special edition Tubemeister 18 with the Soviet valves. I was going to buy the thing, but some other twat had nabbed it by the next time I came back. Beautiful amp, the clean sound has excellent depths, and it's stupidly tiny, transport will be easy. Took me a while to dial in my sound, but it has a beautiful range of sound options. Go play one if you haven't.

@trashedlostfdup
What do you think of the Orange terror lunchbox heads? I'm sick of my 6505, I play mostly shred, power, doom, gothic, etc. I've heard lots good about them, but I can't get my head around the lack of controls, I can't imagine it having a range of sounds?
i have the dual terror, but i can honestly say i don't feel limited by it (even if i were just to use the tiny terror channel). i use a few different OD's on it for the sake of variety, i have a fulltone catalyst, malekko unity fuzz, and zendrive up front for different tones at different times.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
oh, and its great for doom.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!