Has anyone added a 1/4 inch output for a cab on their vypyr vip amp? Trying to find info online on how to do it. Saw someone did it to the older vypyr amps but can not find any info for the VIP series. Any help would be great.
Just cut the two wires going to the speaker in half, and solder a 1/4" jack onto the two wires on each end. Use a short speaker cable to connect the two to use the internal speaker. The amp model shouldn't matter, that's how you'd do it on pretty much any combo amp.
cool now when I go pick out either a 2x12 or 4x12 Does it need to be 8 ohm being thats what the stock speaker in the combo is?
Quote by ussoldier1984
cool now when I go pick out either a 2x12 or 4x12 Does it need to be 8 ohm being thats what the stock speaker in the combo is?

To be honest I would NOT connect your internal speaker to the jack via the wires. Take a speaker cable and plug it in to the jack and the other end to your speaker. That way when you hook up a cab, you just unplug your internal speaker..
Quote by surjer
To be honest I would NOT connect your internal speaker to the jack via the wires. Take a speaker cable and plug it in to the jack and the other end to your speaker. That way when you hook up a cab, you just unplug your internal speaker..

That is basically what I was planning on doing. I was also thinking of a 3 way switch on 1 which would be internal speaker, middle position all off and on 2 which would only send signal out to the jack for the external cab
Having trouble finding a 1/4 inch female socket jack for this setup locally. anyone have a source online? I want to find some sort of plate as well to make it a cleaner install.
Last edited by ussoldier1984 at Feb 11, 2016,
That would work but I do not think it would be long enough to go through the wood on the amp I have to go through about 1/2 inch and still have enough space to thread the nut on the jack. or If I can find a nice plate I can cut a larger hole out and mount the plate to the amp and the jack to the jack plate. But I can not seem to find what I need.
If you get a switched 1/4" jack you can wire it up so it cuts off the internal speaker when you plug something into it.
Switchcraft is a good choice.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If you get a switched 1/4" jack you can wire it up so it cuts off the internal speaker when you plug something into it.
Switchcraft is a good choice.

I was looking into those since you mentioned it. It would make it easier so I wouldn't have to flip a switch or unplug the factory speaker and plug in the cab. I found the jack you were talking about now just need a solution on how to mount it since the wood is too thick for a standard 1/4 inch jack.
Quote by ussoldier1984
I was looking into those since you mentioned it. It would make it easier so I wouldn't have to flip a switch or unplug the factory speaker and plug in the cab. I found the jack you were talking about now just need a solution on how to mount it since the wood is too thick for a standard 1/4 inch jack.

Just make a hole on the back of the amp that is bigger than you need for the jack and mount the jack on a thinner plate and screw the plate over the hole. The Jack plates for Les Paul's work great for this.
Quote by Way Cool JR.
Just make a hole on the back of the amp that is bigger than you need for the jack and mount the jack on a thinner plate and screw the plate over the hole. The Jack plates for Les Paul's work great for this.

That is a great Idea. I just took a look at my gibson les paul and I do not know why I didn't think of that. I was looking around online for some fancy thing that I couldn't find when the answer was right in front of my face lol.
Thank you everyone for the help with this now I have all the parts list needed to complete this all I have to do is order the parts. Next step is trying to find a 8 ohm cab. Hopefully I can find a used one as I am on a budget. Either a 2x12 or a 4x12.
One last question, Could I get better quality sound out of my vip 3 by just replacing the stock speaker with a higher quality one that matches ohms and watts?
So I just finished installing the 1/4 inch out jack for a cab. Couldn't find a disconnect 1/4 inch so I got a high quality on off on switch. Down position sends power only to combo speaker, middle position is all off and up position is signal out to cab. Came out nice. here is a pic of the finished product.

Nice job. Be careful of that middle position though - no load on an amp is BAD. If this were a tube amp you could destroy the output transformer with no load. Don't know how this amp will be affected.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I plan on switching to either combo or cab before I turn on the amp. It was a really easy job to do. The hardest part was finding the proper materials. I decided to get a stainless steel outlet cover to mount the switch and jack. I thought the stainless looked good against the black and it matches my sanpera II pedal and the front control panel on the amp.