Poll: Did you like the recording and/or song?
Poll Options
View poll results: Did you like the recording and/or song?
Yes
0 0%
No
0 0%
HELL NO
0 0%
HELL YES
0 0%
Needs Work - Yes
2 100%
Needs Work - No
0 0%
Voters: 2.
Here is the text from one of my recent posts in other threads on my song.

Hope ya enjoy, and sorry for the lack of a TL;DR in this case

Quote by CherokeShredder
Now. About this official recording xD oh joy.

It is done at the computer Lounge at my College. It's the College's computer and mic and acoustics, so I cannot change that whatsoever as I don't have a computer or software or recording stuff of my own.

I have no vocal training whatsoever except for listening to others sing, but I still went for it and felt it was a good, honest effort. That being said, I hope it's not too bad.

The reason my guitar may or may not sound off or buzzing is simply the guitar and strings that I have, which are both newer and also not so broken in as I thought despite the about 2 months of playing on both. Acoustic-electric, in this case because I usually went for acoustic-style playing on even my pure electric heh

(Yes, I chose Vocaroo for the recording because it was the easiest system for me to use: just record and try again lol)

With that all in mind, I hope it's enjoyed

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1QJH0t7W3j2

Lyrics: https://shrib.com/2sz7vw5GbNJ97Y6

First official and original song of mine ever, and yes, that is in all the time I've spent with music, so about 8-9 years now lol I hope it's not too bad

-Sharky
Song sounds nice - I think you have a nice grasp on how to build a song. One part that did stand out as not-as-good was 2:20 - there was this solo/instrumental sect that imo really didn't work on acoustic only. That's an another thing - I think this wasn't that much of a "man and his guitar" type song, it sounded like it should be a rock song with a full band. But it still sounded good, I just think you need to keep the fact that there's just an acoustic guitar in mind and make the song sound full and complete with just a single instrument.

About the recording - please, no computer mics It just doesn't sound good. This way of recording does not make the song justice.

Guitar - You can play guitar well, I liked the acoustic parts and think that you definitely have the chops to pull of nice songs.

Vocals - I like your tone and it fits the song very well, but a) you weren't in tune b) you weren't really singing. It was more along the lines of speaking with a melody. You really need to use your diaphragm and push to get those vocals out crisp and clear. Tone was good, technique needs work.

Overall, it's a very nice "first song", with really crappy production. Get a cheap condenser mic and record it properly and you have a great track.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Fair enough, fair enough.

I agree the solo work was not so well because I was still trying to figure out how to make it work.

I can't do anything about the mic or sound quality because there are no music studios near me, I have no money for a mic or equipment, I have no computer of my own and thus have to use the computers the college gives me, and I agree about the quality itself.

Thank you for the guitar work. I try

I can't tell with vocal pitch because, even though I have done singing for the past couple of years, I have no training whatsoever except for listening to others sing lol that, and I have no concept of "perfect pitch", so I won't ever be completely on the mark. My hearing is also slightly degrading more than it should recently. I have no clue how to use my diaphragm fully ;~; I understand the speaking melody concept, though, and will definitely work on it. Sad to say, but that is probably the best I can do on my own for now xD

I am thinking of going to others' studios in the next year or two, though, to try it out. I can't have someone else sing the song for me, despite my best wishes on the matter, because only I know the vocal tempo well enough on my own song x3

-Sharky
Yea this is a rock song played on your acoustic. You know it's not a good quality recording so Ill try not to point out the obvious but considering all circumstances it's impressive as a first take, it means you know your song well. At 2:23 without context that some drums would give you it's a little weird. Vocally I think you can put more power behind it and go a little crazy. But vocal melody wise I think it flows very nicely I enjoy it a lot. Good job with the lyrics I think you have a great song in the making keep working on it and get everything you need around you gear wise to make it kickass.
Definitely will do. I tried to make it more Metal/Power Metal feeling, that kind of inspiration take. I designed it more for solo guitar and just one person, but I can see everyone's points that bass and drums would work with this. ...now to find out about bassists, drummers, recording studios and computers around my area, since I am or have none of those of my own to work with

-Sharky
Quote by CherokeShredder
I can't do anything about the mic or sound quality because there are no music studios near me, I have no money for a mic or equipment, I have no computer of my own and thus have to use the computers the college gives me, and I agree about the quality itself.

Well, passable recording gear would only cost about 300$ but if you don't have a computer that doesn't really matter

Quote by CherokeShredder

I can't tell with vocal pitch because, even though I have done singing for the past couple of years, I have no training whatsoever except for listening to others sing lol that, and I have no concept of "perfect pitch", so I won't ever be completely on the mark.

Well, this isn't a case of not being completely on the mark, you just didn't really sing cleanly at all. Not trying to insult you, honestly, but the vocals were pretty far off. It's like a guitar being slightly out of tune, it's not glaringly obvious but it still sounds all wrong. Learning to use your lungs and diaphragm properly would definitely help though, and you need to learn how to listen to yourself.

Quote by CherokeShredder

I am thinking of going to others' studios in the next year or two, though, to try it out. I can't have someone else sing the song for me, despite my best wishes on the matter, because only I know the vocal tempo well enough on my own song x3

-Sharky

Um, what? any decent singer can definitely sing the song for you just fine.

Quote by CherokeShredder
Definitely will do. I tried to make it more Metal/Power Metal feeling, that kind of inspiration take. I designed it more for solo guitar and just one person, but I can see everyone's points that bass and drums would work with this. ...now to find out about bassists, drummers, recording studios and computers around my area, since I am or have none of those of my own to work with

-Sharky

That's a tough situation, but I wish you luck! Research the studio prices there and compare them to recording equipment pricing, you can find good PCs for surprisingly cheap. Even a dedicated pocket recorder would help you a lot, and those go for pretty low.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
$300?!? Yeaaaaaaaaah, I don't even have $10 on hand :/

Myself is...annoying, immature, repetitive, hyper, etc. Even I don't wish to listen for very long :P

Decent singer. That would mean that there are some near me right now to go to

Got anything for $3? lol

-Sharky
Quote by CherokeShredder
Got anything for $3? lol

-Sharky

You could buy me a beer and I could record your stuff
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Mang, I could buy my own beer, but be happy to share it... if we make it more tamer stuff. I hate beer, truly, but will drink it if it's at least passable to me
CS,
I think I owe you a review. This reminds me of the Violent Femmes (a compliment). Guitar riffs & playing are pretty good overall, as are the vocals & melodies. The guitar playing is not always flawless timing wise, but I typically need drums to keep my timing decent. I'd be inclined to put some Melodyne pitch correction on the vocals, but I realize you don't have loads of cash to spend. I think the lyrics are uplifting. Carry on!
I might just do another take if I have enough time in the near future for it heh if not, that is how it will be for now
I really like this song. You have some great ideas and I can see where you were going in the solo spot. Just need a band behind you. Great arrangment and vocal control.