Literally just the title of the thread is all I need to know. I've got an amp with two 4 ohm outputs and I need to know whether it can handle 8 ohm cabs as well as 4 ohm cabs because the 8 ohm cabs are a lot easier to come by than the 4 ohm ones.
Quote by Ponyexpress
Literally just the title of the thread is all I need to know. I've got an amp with two 4 ohm outputs and I need to know whether it can handle 8 ohm cabs as well as 4 ohm cabs because the 8 ohm cabs are a lot easier to come by than the 4 ohm ones.

depends on the amp in question.

two 8ohm cabs run in parallel is 4ohms

16ohm cabs can be rewired to be 4ohms
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 11, 2016,
Quote by Ponyexpress
it's an 81' Fender Bassman 135

yeah use two 8ohm cabs and you will have a 4ohm load and be safe.

Are you playing bass out of it or guitar?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Just my guessing on the matter, since I am solely looking up pretty much everything stated so far, but guitar seems to be the more reasonable choice for that particular one. I dunno, just guessing
Quote by CherokeShredder
Just my guessing on the matter, since I am solely looking up pretty much everything stated so far, but guitar seems to be the more reasonable choice for that particular one. I dunno, just guessing

Yeah that is why I was asking, most people play guitar through a bassman not bass
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
lol well, sorry. I was trying to see if it would help any :P

I have NO clue on this matter at all, but hoping Google doesn't turn into a massive clusterscrew of wrong info
Quote by Ponyexpress
Literally just the title of the thread is all I need to know. I've got an amp with two 4 ohm outputs and I need to know whether it can handle 8 ohm cabs as well as 4 ohm cabs

Yup.
Quote by Ponyexpress
I was looking at pairing it with a SVT 115 and SVT 210

Lemme suggest that you pick ONE of those two cabinets and double up on it. Either a pair of 2x10s or a pair of 1x15s.

Here's the gospel: You do NOT get lower bass because one of the speakers is a 1x15. You do not get better mids because one of the cabinets is filled with 10s. But what you're more likely to do is blow up the 1x15.

Wait, you have a Fender 135? In that case, put whatever you want on it. Fender vastly overrated that amp at 135W (it's pretty much just a 100W amp). As I recall, it's mid-scooped. You do NOT want to crank up the bass knob. In fact, you'll probably want to start with the bass and treble at about 2 and the mids at around 10 to get something near flat response, and then adjust from there. If you crank the bass knob up with out having installed an HPF, you'll just start getting a lot of farting out. There's not enough power.
Last edited by dspellman at Feb 13, 2016,