Hey guys, you probably saw my other thread about wanting a new mini-head. I have since ruled out the JCA 22h, as it seems that amp struggles to stay clean.

I've been checking out this Marshall and it seems to have very good cleans and light crunch, while the ultra-gain channel sounds like a real Marshall should. Plenty of gain, and it sounds good doing it.

The one possible issue is the lack of an effects loop. I do use a lot of reverb and delay with my cleans, but not as much with overdrive. So I was thinking it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But then again, if I have a pretty lengthy reverb decay set, and switch to the overdrive channel, it could start sounding muddy and washy pretty quickly.

So, if you've owned or played this amp -- please chime in. I want this amp to fill-in the voids my 6505+ leaves -- namely, I want it to have better cleans and better low to medium-gain tones. My 6505 is fine for high-gain, obviously.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I haven't played one but from what I have heard about it I don't think it's really the strongest for cleans light crunch IMO. IIRC it's the clean channel and Ultra Lead 2 from a DSL and the amp tends to get really fizzy if you take the gain past 1 o' clock on the lead channel. In fact, I think the most popular mod for it is to swap some components out to make the Lead 2 into a Lead 1 channel for a bit more usability and range. Lack of effects loop could be a dealbreaker too if you like how certain pedals sound there etc...

I guess it depends on how picky you are about lower-medium gain tones but from what I understand, it has too much gain. If you don't need anything too heavy in distortion and you want something kind of Marshally in flavor I would seriously try to check out a Fender Bassbreaker 15.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I haven't played one but from what I have heard about it I don't think it's really the strongest for cleans light crunch IMO. IIRC it's the clean channel and Ultra Lead 2 from a DSL and the amp tends to get really fizzy if you take the gain past 1 o' clock on the lead channel. In fact, I think the most popular mod for it is to swap some components out to make the Lead 2 into a Lead 1 channel for a bit more usability and range. Lack of effects loop could be a dealbreaker too if you like how certain pedals sound there etc...

Yeah, in all the demos I've seen, the Ultra channel didn't sound good past about noon on the gain, but everything before that sounded pretty good to me. Definitely close to the famous hot-rodded Marshall tone.

I have a NOS 12AT7 tube I could throw in V1 which would probably tame it quite a bit as well as give a little more headroom on cleans. I just don't know. It's probably bad to purchase an amp without ever having played it -- but unfortunately I can't try one. Most of the demos have sounded good to me though.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
i haven't read all the other responses, but i can speak on the subject because I own a Marshall DSL 40c.

the cleans are not what you buy the amp for. They are there but they have, what I would call, an almost bluesy marshall tone to them. Its definitely not super clean or sparkly on the self proclaimed clean setting.

I havent found a marshall clean that would work as a 'clean' standing right next to say a valve king, or any given fender.

and stay away from el34s if clean is what you're after.
Quote by troglodyte

I havent found a marshall clean that would work as a 'clean' standing right next to say a valve king, or any given fender.

and stay away from el34s if clean is what you're after.

The Plexi can get amazingly clean and loud at the same time, I also have a Class5 that has probably the best cleans I've heard on a Marshall.

How about Orange Dual Terror or is that out of budget?
Look at the Karank 1980Jr/1980II Jr. These are the best inexpensive Marshall lunchbox heads I have ever found. very nice clean channel, foot switchable dirty channel that is a modded JCM800 circuit, tube driven FX loop and 20 clean watts out of 2x 6L6 power section. Used they run $300-$400, new they are <$700
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks for the responses guys!

@Diabolical, yeah, the dual terror is out of my budget. The Tiny Terror is approachable though -- I'm just concerned about its clean tone.

@Robbgnarly -- that Krank sounds nice -- but I can't, for the life of me, find one for sale, even on fleabay.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Oh my goodness. There's differences. Crap; hold on lol

All right, so I can't find the exact one anymore because it's been sold off. Unavailable now

...wait wait wait. Not the same at all? Hmmmmm, then I guess I get easily tricked by looks and brand and size and... heh, never mind.

-Sharky
Quote by CherokeShredder
Oh my goodness. There's differences. Crap; hold on lol

All right, so I can't find the exact one anymore because it's been sold off. Unavailable now

...wait wait wait. Not the same at all? Hmmmmm, then I guess I get easily tricked by looks and brand and size and... heh, never mind.

-Sharky

They both have a different front grill to be fair. I mean one is diamond-plate and the other is cloth. Different knobs too.

Quote by Robbgnarly
They had options, mine is silver tolex with a chrome grill. They are very rare, but Krank is now making a 1980 II in 20,30,50,60 and 80 watt

If your not set on a small head, they have a 50watt Krank Chadwick series 2 on GC used right now for $419. It is very similar to the 1980 : A very nice clean channel and a HR marshall dirty channel.
Another nice sounding amp I really like is the Diamond Assassin it is only a single channel, but it sounds good.

Fair enough. I figured the most common ones are as pictured previously though.

When did Krank start up again? Thought he tapped out a few years ago
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Feb 12, 2016,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
They both have a different front grill to be fair. I mean one is diamond-plate and the other is cloth. Different knobs too.

They had options, mine is silver tolex with a chrome grill. They are very rare, but Krank is now making a 1980 II in 20,30,50,60 and 80 watt versions www.krankamps.com

If your not set on a small head, they have a 50watt Krank Chadwick series 2 on GC used right now for $419. It is very similar to the 1980 : A very nice clean channel and a HR marshall dirty channel.
Another nice sounding amp I really like is the Diamond Assassin it is only a single channel, but it sounds good.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 12, 2016,
What about the Peavey Classic 20MH or ValveKing 20MH? They may compliment things nicely.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
^^I'm probably going to just get one of those; likely the Valveking over the Classic 20. I had my eye on a Classic 30 head which I would prefer, but it sold before I had the money.

Looking at all of these mini heads, Peavey just seems to be the best bang for the buck. Either the other brands don't have an effects loop, have only one channel, or they sacrifice cleans for gain or vice versa -- not both.

The Valveking I tried was the combo version, and honestly I haven't tried any amps that had "better" cleans. That includes a Mesa Royal Atlantic (drool), Mark V, and various Fenders. So the VK definitely checks my boxes in the cleans department. I may even look into getting an older 112 version and make a head shell for it. For some reason the combos are going cheaper used than the mini-heads.

I think the gain channel will work for me too. I don't need it to get to "modern metal" tones at all. For this amp I just want a good hard rock tone/maybe thrash at the most. I guess I was just lured to that Marshall DSL overdrive tone which sounded great to me. Nobody seems to like that amp though. Maybe the VK will get close enough...
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I see VK112s on Craigslist under $200 pretty often. I got one for $130 and flipped it for $260. The gain channel with a tubescreamer would pass for Metallica in a pinch. The dummy jack and loop jumper had a huge impact.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
You know what I am going to say, don't you?

Randall RM20 with this card:
http://salvationaudio.com/index.php?page=mash-all

The RM20 has a tube boost circuit that you can kick in to up the gain. So I'd set up the Mashall+ to be a clean JTM/Plexi and use the boost for your crunch.
Or you can use its stellar 2203 mode and boost that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

I guess it depends on how picky you are about lower-medium gain tones but from what I understand, it has too much gain. If you don't need anything too heavy in distortion and you want something kind of Marshally in flavor I would seriously try to check out a Fender Bassbreaker 15.

Out of curiosity, is the lead channel of DSL40C also the Ultra Lead 2 from the big bother DSL's?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Out of curiosity, is the lead channel of DSL40C also the Ultra Lead 2 from the big bother DSL's?

pretty sure the DSL40c has 2 modes for each channel like the DSL100 and the old JCM DSL's: Channel 1 has clean and classic and channel 2 has ultra1 and 2. It is the smaller ones that have the stripped down channels
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
pretty sure the DSL40c has 2 modes for each channel like the DSL100 and the old JCM DSL's: Channel 1 has clean and classic and channel 2 has ultra1 and 2. It is the smaller ones that have the stripped down channels

I just had a nagging memory that it was something different from the rest of the DSL's.

Or maybe it was the DSL401 that I am mixing it with.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
I just had a nagging memory that it was something different from the rest of the DSL's.

Or maybe it was the DSL401 that I am mixing it with.

the DSL40c also has a closed back. The other DSL's all have open back even the old ones and the DSL40c uses el34 tubes and not EL84's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate