Page 1 of 2
Excited to be a member of the forum!

I have a straightforward question that might open a "can of worms".
I am looking to buy a great new guitar and sell my current one. It will be the only good guitar i will have for now, apart from a cheap backup guitar.

I need the guitar to be versatile. By that i dont mean many buttons and extra switches. I need volume and a 5 way pickup selection; "humbucker, middle pickup, humbucker" configuration.

I am thinking PRS, Suhr, Vigier.

I favor PRS because, the way its built will suit every style of music i can think of, but i heard great things about Suhr's and Vigier's.

From your experience what would you advise as a great versatile guitar?

I won't get a gibson because that would be a second guitar to get in the future when i can.
Last edited by johnatanasoff at Feb 11, 2016,
You're going to need to post a budget and your favourite styles/sounds/artists before anyone can really give decent advice. "Every style of music I can think of" could mean everything from doom metal to indie pop to P-Funk or it could mean several genres of metal, depending on the person; we don't know you and we can't just guess what sounds you want. We also don't know what gear you're currently using. There's tons of stuff we don't know.

PRS, Suhr and Vigier all make great guitars

This thread should give you a decent idea of what we need to know.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
If you want sheer versatility, I would totally recommend a PRS. I'm completely convinced you can play anything and sound good on a PRS.

Suhrs can do it too.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Those are all great, but pricey brands, and I worry that you're putting all of your eggs in one basket. You might be better off with 2 slightly less expensive guitars that are similarly configured. That way you lose little or nothing if you have to use your backup.

Tell us more about your needs, like K33nl4d3 suggested, and we can help you better.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
When it comes to versatility, keep in mind that an hsh setup isn't going to give you Gibson or fender tones. They will sound unique. There are always trade-offs too such as not getting to use both humbuckers together or positions 2-4 not sounding like a strat. A guitar that sounds great for everything you'll be playing doesn't necessarily mean it has aspects of two wildly different guitars. One of the guitars I play is hsh but I wouldn't really say it's more versatile than some 2 pickup guitars or even sss guitars because I can make them sound good for whatever I'm playing. You're going to be missing tones with any guitar. And it's not just because of the pickups. Most hsh guitars aren't going to be the Gibson scale lenth and they won't use the 250k pots that fender uses.

But when it comes down to hsh guitars, one of my favorites is the prs Brent Mason.
I wouldn't sy "cheap", though. Better Suhrs and PRS typically start around $1800-2500. And Vigiers often cost more than $3000.

But for $1800, you can also score a pair of new pro-quality guitars...and if you're willing to go used, you can find some real killers, especially from makers like Carvin or Godin.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Honestly, if you watch reverb very closely, you can score a Vigier for under 1.5k. If you want versitility, I honestly haven't found much better. The HSH Blaze pickups do everything pretty well and the carbon-fiber reinforced neck means that you never have to adjust the truss rod when you change tunings. The latter, I feel, is what's made their stuff one of my go-tos for versitility.

That being said, absolutely go through the used market and two is often better than one. And if you want more advice, price range, location, sound you want etc. would be awesome to give us.
Quote by tfizzle20
Honestly, if you watch reverb very closely, you can score a Vigier for under 1.5k. If you want versitility, I honestly haven't found much better. The HSH Blaze pickups do everything pretty well and the carbon-fiber reinforced neck means that you never have to adjust the truss rod when you change tunings. The latter, I feel, is what's made their stuff one of my go-tos for versitility.

That being said, absolutely go through the used market and two is often better than one. And if you want more advice, price range, location, sound you want etc. would be awesome to give us.

I love Vigiers, and I'll admit part of what contributes to the price I see is I'm mainly hunting for a Surfreter. Not cheap.

Quote by Ippon
You need a versatile amp, too. What amp do you have?

+1 to that.

The most versatile guitar in the world is a Mesa 5:50 Express.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
The most versatile guitar in the world is a Mesa 5:50 Express.

Quote by CherokeShredder
Telecaster/Strat line seems to be many folks' answer to that claim, Rooster

Tele maybe. But since the original poster said he is going to get a Gibson in the future, perhaps the strat since it would be further to the left of the Gibson Mohagany Set Neck Humbucker design. The thing I love about my tele is that it does not have the extreme tone change across pickup selector positions, rather it is more subtle. I love the speed and tone of the strat but note that pickup selector position changes in the middle of a song can be too obvious and sometime disruptive.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I wouldn't sy "cheap", though. Better Suhrs and PRS typically start around $1800-2500. And Vigiers often cost more than $3000.

But for $1800, you can also score a pair of new pro-quality guitars...and if you're willing to go used, you can find some real killers, especially from makers like Carvin or Godin.

Yes, I like the two guitar approach much better. The classic approach for me has always been the Fender/Gibson (e.g. Strat/tele Les Paul/SG) combo. If I went SG I would go tele, if I went Les Paul, I would go Strat. American made Tele/SG is probably a cheaper purchase than American made Strat/Les Paul.

My opinion is that the SG can cover your hard rock and even metal tones with the right amp while the tele is an awesome sparkling clean guitar which some artists use for Jazz. I have a friend who owns may guitars, and he swears the tele is his one "trapped on a desert island" guitar.

The Les Paul/Strat combo is a very versatile combo which can cover such a wide range of tones. In my opinion the two guitars are more extreme in terms of their opposition to each other than the tele/SG combo. This combo is also more expensive to purchase American made new.

Finally, the resale/appreciation value on Fenders and Gibsons has been good. A secondary consideration of course but an objective truth none-the-less.
look for a used PRS CE22 or CE24. They run $900-$1400 used and are Identical to the custom 22/24 except they are a bolt-thru maple neck and they almost never have bird inlays (only moons). I have had one for 12yrs and it is amazing

G&L and EBMM are also worth looking at
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Seriden has done a LOT of homework, I can tell. I do agree with a lot of what was said. Especially the two-guitar concept heh
Quote by Seriden
Yes, I like the two guitar approach much better. The classic approach for me has always been the Fender/Gibson (e.g. Strat/tele Les Paul/SG) combo. If I went SG I would go tele, if I went Les Paul, I would go Strat. American made Tele/SG is probably a cheaper purchase than American made Strat/Les Paul.

Definitely a sensible combo to go for, but it depends if OP is looking for those things - and yeah Tele+SG is probably cheaper than Strat+Les Paul (price was what first set me on the path to buy my Tele...), but if you're after a Strat and a Les Paul a Tele and an SG won't cut it. Between PRS, Suhr and Vigier, I suspect his priorities may well lie more to the humbucker side of that; certainly I can imagine a lot of people looking for versatility would actually have very little use for singlecoils
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Thanks a lot for the replies so far.
I am going to try answer all of the questions asked so far as objectively as i can.

Budget?
- 2250$ for a great used guitar.
- Favorite Artists? - The sound i dig and one of the guitarists i like, are Steve Lukather from Toto. Love his tone.
- I am also into progressive stuff and dig John Petrucci rythm sound. Don't like his lead sound that much...
- Gus G, Ozzy's guitarist also has a great guitar sound.

Preferences?
- I find PRS body shape to suit, metal, rock, jazz, blues.
- As far as necks go, I don’t know so much. I have an Ibanez Jem 7vwh from 1995 and I like the neck as I can play fast. So I don’t want a thick neck of a Gibson unless I get a Gibson, or a super thin neck. Something in the middle.
- 22 frets.
- Maple neck and ebony fretboard would be good. Need a guitar with great sustain.
- Thinking fixed bridge for stability.

Pickups?
- Very hot passive humbuckers, thinking (bare knuckles). 1 in the bridge, 1 in the neck.
- For ex in my ibanez jem, either in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th position, on a clean channel I am able to get a fender tone which is what I want. And then for awesome leads either the bridge or neck pickups. A 3-way selector can do as long and in the middle position I get a good fender type clean.

New or Used? - Used will do.

Location? - Portugal. EU.

Current Gear? - Ibanez Jem 7VWH. Not a versatile guitar and I need to sell it and buy a better one.

Other?
- Due to the music i play and personal taste, i need to get a crystal clean sound, a crunch as good as a mesa mark IV and a plexi sound of a Friedman BE100 for ex.
- I am thinking to get a "Hughes&Kettner MK3" head which is very versatile and sounds great, and quit the Fractal AX8 idea.
- I am definitely getting 2 more guitars when i can but due to money i can only get a good, used one at the moment.
- The reason I insist on a more expensive guitar is because of the quality materials.
Last edited by johnatanasoff at Feb 12, 2016,
On that last point, speaking as someone who has guitars ranging from $500-3500, "quality materials" doesn't account for 100% of that price difference on most expensive guitars. Other common factors include rarity of materials, aesthetics, being hand built, and a brand-name markup.

Put differently, a $2500 guitar may look better than its $1000 cousin, but that doesn't mean it will be a better tool for a performing musician. Do a little research, and you should be able to find 2 guitars in the $700-1200 range that will fit your needs and ensure that your backup sounds just as good as your #1. AND you'll be saving money, so you'll be closer to upgrading your amp (which will actually make more of a difference in your tone than any guitar will*).

So, with that in mind, I'll suggest these 3 much less expensive but still gig-worthy guitars that are all HSH with a 5-way, plus other features:
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinfreewaysap.htm
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinxtsa.html
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/gil-parris-ii/

The Freeway SA was recently discontinued in 2015, but they're easily found.

* which was kind of JustRooster's point.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 12, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
On that last point, speaking as someone who has guitars ranging from $500-3500, "quality materials" doesn't account for 100% of that price difference on most expensive guitars. Other common factors include rarity of materials, aesthetics, being hand built, and a brand-name markup.

Put differently, a $2500 guitar may look better than its $1000 cousin, but that doesn't mean it will be a better tool for a performing musician. Do a little research, and you should be able to find 2 guitars in the $700-1200 range that will fit your needs and ensure that your backup sounds just as good as your #1. AND you'll be saving money, so you'll be closer to upgrading your amp (which will actually make more of a difference in your tone than any guitar will*).

So, with that in mind, I'll suggest these 3 much less expensive but still gig-worthy guitars that are all HSH with a 5-way, plus other features:
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinfreewaysap.htm
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinxtsa.html
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/gil-parris-ii/

The Freeway SA was recently discontinued in 2015, but they're easily found.

* which was kind of JustRooster's point.

You have a point. Any brand has good guitars, bad guitars and not so good guitars.

Personally i would not buy a Godin. I hate those guitars.

I will buy a gibson eventually and a crazy shape guitar like one of Gus G guitars.

For now need a new guitar.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Why do you say your Jem isn't versatile? Jems are very high quality guitars.

They are. One of the reasons i want to sell it is the floating trem. I installed Tremol-no and i still cannot get it to act as a fixed bridge guitar. It's not stable. I thought to remove the trem and block it but i also thought; why not change the sound territory...

Money is the only reason i cannot keep my jem.
Last edited by johnatanasoff at Feb 12, 2016,
You might have difficulty finding a hardtail HSH guitar. Like HSS guitars, those overwhelmingly tend to be equipped with tremolos.

I couldn't remember seeing one off the top if my head, so I did this search on Rverb.com for solidbody electrics between $700-2000 from sellers that ship to Portugal:

https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars/solid-body?item_country=&page=1&price_max=2000.00&price_min=700.00&ships_to=PT&sort=price%7Casc

There were over 2600 results. I looked at all the ones under $1000...and didn't find any.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 12, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
You might have difficulty finding a hardtail HSH guitar. Like HSS guitars, those overwhelmingly tend to be equipped with tremolos.

I couldn't remember seeing one off the top if my head, so I did this search on Rverb.com for solidbody electrics between $700-2000 from sellers that ship to Portugal:

https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars/solid-body?item_country=&page=1&price_max=2000.00&price_min=700.00&ships_to=PT&sort=price%7Casc

There were over 2600 results. I looked at all the ones under $1000...and didn't find any.

I should be able to find a fixed bridge with any kind of pickup configuration.
Any of these 3 configs are good to me. HSH, HH, HSS.

I am more focused on deciding what body shape, woods and brand i go for right now.
Quote by johnatanasoff

Ideally, yes. In the real world, though, some configurations are almost unheard of in production instruments- you'd have to go looking for rare or custom instruments.

I am more focused on deciding what body shape, woods and brand i go for right now.

OK.

Quote by johnatanasoff

ok after reading this thread you seem to be missing something important. i have heard very little said about playability or preferred type of pickups etc. the whole i need an expensive guitar because of quality materials thing misses the mark by a mile. what you need is a guitar that plays well and gives you the sound you need. i'm not really getting the vibe from you that you actually know what you want. body shape, woods and brand should all be secondary considerations.

look i'm a strat guy but you won't see me running out and buying a master built custom shop strat. i can find much cheaper strats that will play and sound great. why because i know what i want out of a guitar. my #1 is a modded MIM strat despite my having a higher end strat. i dunno but you seem to be going about this the wrong way. just throwing money out there doesn't guarantee you a great guitar.
Quote by JustRooster
Have we figured out what amp TS has yet?

no he mentioned a bunch of high end stuff but gave no indication of what he has right now. he gives me the impression of a guy that shops with his eyes and not his hands and ears
Don't know the Portuguese market, but in the USA, you can EASILY get 2 relatively good guitars (new or used) & a pretty decent used amp (combo or head & cab) for $2500-3000. Definitely good enough to gig with.

You could get a brand new Mesa Rect-o-Verb, an HSS Strat, and like 3 Strymon pedals for that dough.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Yeah, but that wouldn't give him a decent backup axe.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Yeah, but that wouldn't give him a decent backup axe.

He already has a jem
Quote by monwobobbo
ok after reading this thread you seem to be missing something important. i have heard very little said about playability or preferred type of pickups etc. the whole i need an expensive guitar because of quality materials thing misses the mark by a mile. what you need is a guitar that plays well and gives you the sound you need. i'm not really getting the vibe from you that you actually know what you want. body shape, woods and brand should all be secondary considerations.

look i'm a strat guy but you won't see me running out and buying a master built custom shop strat. i can find much cheaper strats that will play and sound great. why because i know what i want out of a guitar. my #1 is a modded MIM strat despite my having a higher end strat. i dunno but you seem to be going about this the wrong way. just throwing money out there doesn't guarantee you a great guitar.

I know.
The woods are very important and so are the pickups. I have wrote a long response and i said i am looking to buy Hot "Bare Knuckles pickups".
Suprised I'm the first one to suggest Ibanez. Any of their hsh models would be very versitile. Any new prestige would have dimarzio pickups (tone zone + true velvet + air norton). They also have the premium or iron label series. Iron label RGs only have emgs, which I personally hate, but the s have same pickups as listed above.

That or an hsh strat...
Quote by monwobobbo
no he mentioned a bunch of high end stuff but gave no indication of what he has right now. he gives me the impression of a guy that shops with his eyes and not his hands and ears

Not really man. Ears and hands totally if i can. I haven't yet tried fractal or hughes&kettner mk3.
From what i hard in youtube etc, These are my favorite units so far.
I will obviously try them before i buy them.

I am using a Laney TF300 and a boss GT6. The amp is OK but the GT isn't.
Last edited by johnatanasoff at Feb 13, 2016,
OK. I am thinking to buy a PRS guitar.
In the future a Gibson and a fender.
If i can i will keep my jem.

Thank you all for the feedback! I appreciate it a lot!
Quote by JELIFISH19
He already has a jem

Which he may or may not keep.

Page 1 of 2