Hi guys,

I've started learning guitar a few months ago and during this period I've been using a guitar and amp on loan to see if I enjoyed it.

I'm now going to buy my own and wanted your opinion on whether what I am thinking of getting is any good?

Vox AC15
http://www.andertons.co.uk/combo-amps/pid18092/cid691/vox-ac15-valve-reactor-combo-amp.asp

Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top HSS
http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid28610/cid671/fender-standard-stratocaster-plus-top-hss-in-tobacco-sunburst.asp

I specifically want a gutitar with a humbucker and single coil for versatility. I'm also looking for good quality and value for money.

I know very little about amps and I've heard mixed things about the AC15 - am I making the wrong choice?

Thanks
Last edited by drkm at Feb 12, 2016,
What are you trying to achieve? What bands do you like, what tones do you want, how much money do you have? Do you only play in your bedroom?

The AC15 is a decent amp. Standard strats are decent guitars. But they're not for everyone, so it'd definitely help to know what sounds you want them to make.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I second Kev's statements. Played on an AC15 before, but only briefly. Nice amp there. Strat is an awesome guitar, but yes, it does come with challenges.

I'd also like the purpose of such

-Sharky
I like many styles of music, so I would like to play classical, blues, rock, pop. You name it. I thought the strat would be best because of the clean single coil and then a humbucker coil for a bit more of a rougher tone (which I could spice up even more with some pedals).

I really love the tones from a tube amp so am really set on getting one of those. I will be playing in my bedroom while I learn, but if I can invest in an amp now that allows me to eventually play with a band then that would be great (I read the AC15 would also allow me to do this).

Out of curiousity, why do you say a strat isn't for everyone?

I have £850 I can spend on both an amp and guitar.
Quote by CherokeShredder
I second Kev's statements. Played on an AC15 before, but only briefly. Nice amp there. Strat is an awesome guitar, but yes, it does come with challenges.

I'd also like the purpose of such

-Sharky

What challenges come from a strat?
Based off my experiences, very little bits here and there. Bend and fret holding pressure being more than I figure. Can be bulkier than expected, too. Granted, string gauge and customizing will fix this, but in general, basically the usual guitar trickiness. Oh well heh
Quote by drkm
What challenges come from a strat?

It is typically personal preference more than anything. I am not a strat fan and have never owned a Strat style guitar in over 20yrs. I find them ugly, plain and I don't like the volume control position. Like I said personal reasons.

with your budget I'd go for a used PRS CE22 or CE24, these are way above fender in fit/finish. They run $900-$1400 used they have humbuckers but are coil tap also so I can get a nice single coil tone.

If you really want true single coil and a hb in the bridge the PRS swamp ash special would be the one to look for
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 12, 2016,
Yikes, that one guitar would run roughshod over my combined total for my 3 guitars lol

Then again, they were very good deals for all three, so that is why they were gotten for about a third of their actual total

-Sharky
Quote by CherokeShredder
Yikes, that one guitar would run roughshod over my combined total for my 3 guitars lol

Then again, they were very good deals for all three, so that is why they were gotten for about a third of their actual total

-Sharky

Yeah PRS are expensive, but IMO one of the best non custom shop guitar brands you will ever find besides EBMM and G&L.

I've had mine since 2004 and I couldn't be happier with it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Now see, me, I just go for what is nice and playable compared to looks and such, which is why I have avoided more of the pricier guitars: to me and just to me, they value looks more than play.

That being said, I do agree that they are very nice guitars. It's just...$900-1400? Wowzah
Another question. How do you think the AC15 compares to the Fender Blues Junior III. Would it be a benefit to save more and the the Blue Junior, or is the AC15 good in comparision?
Quote by Robbgnarly
It is typically personal preference more than anything. I am not a strat fan and have never owned a Strat style guitar in over 20yrs. I find them ugly, plain and I don't like the volume control position. Like I said personal reasons.

This is what I meant. Strats have their own feel and Voxs have their own sound, and you can't really know if they click with you without trying them out. You can buy amps blind usually since there are a lot of examples out there that you can listen to, but you just can't try a guitar over the internet. I for example really don't like how traditional les pauls feel, and greatly prefer strats and superstrats.

Quote by drkm
Another question. How do you think the AC15 compares to the Fender Blues Junior III. Would it be a benefit to save more and the the Blue Junior, or is the AC15 good in comparision?

Blues jr. is a good amp as well. I'd say it's more balanced than the Vox, Voxs have their own, strong signature sound, but a lot of people think that their cleans sound gorgeous. I'd love to own a Vox AC for clean tones, but personally I'd take the Blues jr. as a stronger all-around amp. Could be only me though.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Last edited by Kevätuhri at Feb 12, 2016,
4.8 overall rating for AC15 (and more ratings on that) versus a 4.5 (and much less ratings) for the Junior III...to me, it would seem the better amp is the more critiqued one. But that is just to me.

I've only known ever the Fender amps. I had to look more into Vox and the AC15 to find out. Personally, go with what might work best for you, drkm.
Quote by CherokeShredder
Now see, me, I just go for what is nice and playable compared to looks and such, which is why I have avoided more of the pricier guitars: to me and just to me, they value looks more than play.

That being said, I do agree that they are very nice guitars. It's just...$900-1400? Wowzah

play a real USA made PRS, They are one of the very best playing/feeling guitars you will ever touch. It just happens they are pretty also

They were $2300-$2700 new
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Oh I've heard of PRS and yes, I have played them. They are nice, but again, looks mean close to shite to me lol

$2300?!? Okay, NOW we're being ridiculous here
Quote by drkm

Again a personal thing. Fenders have nice cleans, but unless it is a super sonic or a Old Pro sonic then Fender has crap gain channels. The AC15 will do cleans and I like its drive better
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Again a personal thing. Fenders have nice cleans, but unless it is a super sonic or a Old Pro sonic then Fender has crap gain channels. The AC15 will do cleans and I like its drive better

I on the other hand have heard a lot of iffy things about the AC crunch tones. Not that they're bad, but that they have their own sound and are definitely not for everyone. Neither is an amp I'd pick for good crunch tones in any case.

I think TS could look into Jet City and Hughes&Kettner combos as well. If he wants something more versatile.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Quote by CherokeShredder
Oh I've heard of PRS and yes, I have played them. They are nice, but again, looks mean close to shite to me lol

$2300?!? Okay, NOW we're being ridiculous here

I bought mine because I have been playing semi professionally for years and I wanted a soild great quality guitar, and since I bought it new, I have had to do absolutely nothing but clean it and change strings.and that is at 100+ shows a year plus 2-3 practices a week since I bought it in 04

they make a special run every year called the PRS Dragon. it is made with real precious jewels, metals and retails for $20,000+
This is not paint, it is all inlays
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
$20k?!? Alright, that does it. I am officially conked out of ANY wanting of very pricey guitars, even if they play and sound well you convinced me! heh
Quote by Kevätuhri
I on the other hand have heard a lot of iffy things about the AC crunch tones. Not that they're bad, but that they have their own sound and are definitely not for everyone. Neither is an amp I'd pick for good crunch tones in any case.

I think TS could look into Jet City and Hughes&Kettner combos as well. If he wants something more versatile.

Yeah it is very subjective

I personally don't like H&K amps, especially the tubemeister series, too buzzy on the gain for me. It's like the tried to emulate a JCM900 DR drive channel
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ugh, that's simply the worst, isn't it? (ummmmmmmm...what are we talking about again with channels? bwahahahahahahahaa)
Quote by Robbgnarly
I personally don't like H&K amps, especially the tubemeister series, too buzzy on the gain for me. It's like the tried to emulate a JCM900 DR drive channel

I think they're worth a try if TS can find good demos or if he can actually try the amp himself. I'm not really a fan of their plastic look and the cheesy blue lights but a lot of people like them in that price range.

Quote by CherokeShredder
Ugh, that's simply the worst, isn't it? (ummmmmmmm...what are we talking about again with channels? bwahahahahahahahaa)

Let's just say that the DR isn't the most praised Marshall out there.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Last edited by Kevätuhri at Feb 12, 2016,
Quote by CherokeShredder
$20k?!? Alright, that does it. I am officially conked out of ANY wanting of very pricey guitars, even if they play and sound well you convinced me! heh

Yeah those are stupid prices, but PRS does have a custom shop and they make the PRS private reserve models and those start at $10,000

They are absolutely beautiful guitars

My CE22 used to be the cheapest USA made PRS production guitar but they discontinued it in 06/07
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by CherokeShredder
Well, I sure bet. Again, we're talking completely out of my price range on anything, so they MUST be good ^_^

Look used, I bought my Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 for $500 used.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
They do look pretty, I don't deny that at all. It's just...$20k? I could pay off ALL my college debt so far and then some with that lol
what do you mean when you say rock? voxes (and the blues junior) are good amps but they're probably more aimed at the lighter stuff. if you play a lot of the heavier stuff there are better options.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There was a certain heavier amp that I remember using before, but I can't remember the name of it. It would fit well here
Quote by CherokeShredder
There was a certain heavier amp that I remember using before, but I can't remember the name of it. It would fit well here

Post of the year 2016.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
1) The Strat HSS is the best bang for your buck from a quality, cost, tone and versatility standpoint. If you have more money than get a Musicman Silhouette Special or an Xotic, which are steps above, but much more expensive. Avoid anything with 2 Humbuckers unless you primarily play metal - a neck Humbucker cannot recreate the tone of a neck single coil - the middle positions on those guitars are acceptable, but the neck position is the major weakness, which is why HSS and SSS guitars still exist. A low end PRS or Gibson can't really compete with a similarly priced Strat - the Strat's are just much better priced and have better quality control at in the under $1500 price range.

2) Vox Ac 15 - Vox's are great amps but they can sound a tad shrill when clean with single coils. I would suggest the Blues Junior or Deluxe + some gain pedals. If you have the budget check out a Mesa Boogie Combo.
If it were me I'd go for an LTD super strat with HSS config. Their necks feel great if you like strat style necks.
Just looking about at amps. What do you guys think of the Fender Champion 100 gernally and in comparison to the Vox AC15. Would this amp also be too powerful for a bedroom setting being 100w?
Champ 100 versus the AC15... hmmmmmm, I like Fenders a lot and have very little experience with Vox's. But I'd say, either would work for what you're looking for. The Fender is a 100w, and the AC15 appears to be much weaker to me. Both are rated well, but I prefer the Fender.
Quote by drkm
Just looking about at amps. What do you guys think of the Fender Champion 100 gernally and in comparison to the Vox AC15. Would this amp also be too powerful for a bedroom setting being 100w?

SS 100watt practice amp or a nice tube amp..............I'll take the Vox AC15, the fender is shit at best
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by !..!_Rock_!..!
Or just go for an LTD strat. LTD quality control seems more on point than Fender's to me.

News to me.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/