Hello,

Although I am not completely new to music, I am very much new to the guitar.
In about three weeks I´ll be travelling to Thailand to work at a volunteer center for 4 months.
During that time, I have decided I would like to pick up on the electric guitar.
The thing is though, that my residence (the center) places a big emphasis on keeping noise down in our spare time, so a guitar amp is pretty much out of the question.

Thus, my question is this: What would provide me with the best solution to practice my electric guitar in a way that is silent to my surroundings, but still allows me in-ear listening of good quality, as well as decent sound on the guitar itself?
Are there any kind of software programs for Mac that may be relevant (preferably as cheap as possible without sacrificing quality) - or maybe even Logic Pro X will do?

Apologies if my question is put forth in a very simple manner, as I simply don´t have much experience with this. I would very much appreciate some input.
I'm sorry if this answer is either obvious or not what you're looking for, but headphones would work well, IF they can be used

-Sharky
There are a number of solutions, ranging from a plug-in multi-FX and a set of headphones to a battery powered Korg Pandora Mini (plus headphones) to Garage Band or Logic Pro or whatever on a Mac or one of the software apps (and adapters) for an iPhone.

The most portable (IMHO) is the Korg Pandora Mini, with a Korg Pandora PX5D right behind. The 5D works on both batteries and/or AC power (there's an adapter), and offers a huge array of practice gizmos (metronome, slower-downer, pitch shifter, tuner, bass and drum lines, phrase trainer) as well as amps/cabs/FX.
Depends on how much you want to spend and how many sound options you want. Headphones amps are cheap but also don't offer a whole lot of options. If you buy a connector to hook up your guitar to a tablet or phone you can use some free apps or buy apps with more choices. Something like the Line 6 Pocket Pod is like a portable multifx device. the Behringer V-AMP 3 is less portable but also cheaper. Then there are countless very powerful multifx pedals, something like the Digitech RP360. Or you can go even go with a small amp with a headphone jack.
Last edited by dthmtl3 at Feb 12, 2016,
dspellman beat me to it. There are all kinds of portable digital modeling devices out there from companies like Korg, Line 6, Boss, Tascam and more, which are used with headphones. In addition to amp & pedal modeling, they typically have features like a tuner, metronome, drum emulation, and recording and/or computer interfacing that make them perfect practice tools.

And since they're all smaller than a softcover novel, they'll fit in a hardshell case, gig bag or biggish pocket.

Some of those features can be found in apps for mobile devices. And many multi-effects pedals have a headphone jack as well.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Buy a cheap external soundcard if you don't already have one, one with one input is enough. Then you could either buy or "find" amplitube 3 it has a lot of good presets, a plethora of amps and effects so that you could get the sound you want! I use that at home exclusively. If you want it to sound even more realistic you could get into IR programs but that is probably overkill in your case!

Glhf!
The amps in Logic Pro X will do fine for practice, if you already have Logic Pro X. I wouldn't buy it specifically for the amp sims it has, though.

A simple interface, a cable and some headphones and you're good to go.
Quote by I K0nijn I
The amps in Logic Pro X will do fine for practice, if you already have Logic Pro X. I wouldn't buy it specifically for the amp sims it has, though.

A simple interface, a cable and some headphones and you're good to go.

Yeah if youre taking a computer just do that. Its a great option and you can get decent interfaces for 50-100.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
If you have an I phone you can use Garage band and a few other apps. You will need an I rig to connect to it they run 10 dollars. I use a Boss Micro BR 80 the recorder and the effects are very good.
If you are new to the guitar, maybe you don't need a lot of sophisticated tone options, in fact they can be a distraction from the more important business of learning to play the notes. While you can get software for your laptop, I would be thinking about something independent and simple like the Vox Amplug. I have the AC30 version, it works OK with lo-fi headphones.
It all depends on how much you want to spend and how light you want to travel.

My favorite silent practice is Peavey ReValver (about $100 for most of the options but starts as free if you want a ValveKing and TubeScreamer) with a RockSmith Video Game Cable ($30?) as the interface.

I use Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones ($169) but less expensive ones will do.

I have the Metal Amplug and it's ok.

I personally like the laptop option so I can run the amp emulations and Guitar Pro simultaneously for learning tabs, practicing exercises, metronome, drum machine, etc.

If you want to record yourself load up the never-ending trial of Reaper and you're all set.

Or use Reaper with free amp sims and speaker IRs. I like ReValver for the user interface.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .