I'm a very new guitar player. I don't know how to judge playability. But I have been offered this guitar for barter. What I'm trading away is worth about $200 right now. I can't figure out how to insert a photo into this post.
Last edited by robbie1299 at Feb 12, 2016,
Hard to tell without a pic, if it is in really good shape then it is probably worth it, 60's Japanese guitars are nothing to write home about and the high prices that people are asking are due to the internet and nostalgia (most of us old folks cut our teeth on them), don't expect it to be a shredder!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by robbie1299
Pics

That neck joint is sketchy I'd pass if I were you, these were made out of cheap wood.

Looks like the screw holes for the neck were stripped and a crappy modification was made, the wood on these gets old and crumbly I had an old MIJ Silvertone (made by Teisco) and had this problem with one of the strap buttons, the wood just kept crumbling when I tried to put larger diameter screws in it, eventually I had to fill the hole with toothpick and wood glue and then re drill it.

If the neck mounting screw holes are stripped I'd walk away from that deal.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Tony Done
Much as I like the mojo of old Teiscos, I wouldn't recommend something like this to a beginner.

agree. unless you want an uphill battle right from the start these guitars don't make good beginner models despite being just that. back in the day if you wanted a cheap starter guitar you bought something like this. it's a wonder that anyone actually went on to play after starting with crappy guitars like this. the old teiscos do have a charm but the action and intonation is often not good and the pickups can be less than wonderful as well.
I would buy it. Why a decent guitar. The wood is not junk. The pickups are different. I personally wood.
Quote by RandellScott
I would buy it. Why a decent guitar. The wood is not junk. The pickups are different. I personally wood.

Are you having a stroke?

A lot the Teiscos I see are falling apart or threatening to. They were made cheaply 30+ years ago, and definitely out of materials that tends not to stand up to the test of time. They are funky and they look cool, but as a first or second guitar for a new player? Absolutely not.

Would you really suggest a guitar that is harder to play, probably needs some serious setup or structural work, and then isn't going to be stable or reliable after that? I'm not saying that's true of every Teisco, but given their track record I think you have to assume that there are going to be some issues.
I like vintage more than new. And it needs some work. They are great little guitars. for slide and all. Most vintage gets a bad rap. Like the Harmony semi hollow. Sears owned the company. They did not make it. It is a bolt on neck. Great pickups. Not worth the 3000 they ask. But buy it off Reverb. 100 a month. They are great along with the Mosrite clone from Japan. And the Harmony offset guitar. Most say too high and unplayable. The new Silvertone remakes is not reissues with the same design flaws. They are remakes of the Offset, Jupiter, And the old Danelectro 1960's versions are great guitars. Mahogany when the Danelectro is still made of masonite. But they convince themselves that the design's was unplayable. People miss out on same great reissues and original guitars because of myths lies and the look of certain guitars.

New silvertones made in Korea by samick. Look just like the originals. Yuck no they design is off. Not It was once owned by Sears. That is the real problem. Go read the thread at the Rickenbacker club on Facebook. Rickenbacker sold at Walmart.com? No you can not never buy from a department store. Why. No never. Why. I would not want it.It is cheaper than other places. You are stupid are you not?

Why did the say that. Because Sears, Montgomery Wards sold guitar years ago so Walmart, Best Buy and others cannot ever sell a guitar? Crazy. Stupid myths. All that all guitar players were smarter than that?
Last edited by RandellScott at Feb 14, 2016,