Hey guys, Im in the market for a new cab and I found an Avatar 2x12 with eminemce legends for 300$ and a THD 4x12 with the THD stock speakers, which Ive heard great things about, for 400$. Is the THD worth the extra 100$? I mainly play hard rock/metal, (Gojira, Lamb of God, ect...) and I know the THD is pretty rare but I know avatar cabs come highly recommended here, any help would be great, thanks!\

EDIT: I'll be running a Peavey 6534+ through it, completely forgot to add that.
Last edited by PancakesGO!!!! at Feb 13, 2016,
Both would be good cabs. What do you need in terms of volume? If the 2x12 is all you need it will save you money and be easier to move around. If it money and portability aren't concerns go the THD.
---
Quote by Robfreitag
Both would be good cabs. What do you need in terms of volume? If the 2x12 is all you need it will save you money and be easier to move around. If it money and portability aren't concerns go the THD.

I dont need stupid amounts of volume, enough to play over a drummer but thats it, and portability isnt really an issue, and money isnt a massive issue but I'd rather spend more money and get something a little better.
Quote by PancakesGO!!!!
I dont need stupid amounts of volume, enough to play over a drummer but thats it, and portability isnt really an issue, and money isnt a massive issue but I'd rather spend more money and get something a little better.

Given all that, I'd go for the 4x12. The THD is probably a bit better quality and a 4x12 does a better job projecting sound... With a 2x12 you gotta get it off the ground to really hear it well, at least in my experience.

That said, I had an Avatar 2x12 for a while and it was fantastic... Probably the highest quality piece of kit I've owned, which isn't saying much in my case but you get the idea. I would not hesitate to buy either.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I'm no longer a big fan of 4x12s, but the THD may be a bit unique.
Have you had the grill cloth off a THD? If it's like mine, it's velcroed on.

THD, at one point, decided to incorporate beam blockers into their baffle:

This was an attempt to mitigate the thing that the 4x12 is notorious for: beaming icepick treble above 500Hz. Between you and me, it's not particularly effective, but when you resell it, it's a great talking point. But the reason you need to know it's there is that it *will* affect where you put a mike. Just to the outside of that center disk is a pretty good spot, and it's one you can find by feel in the dark .
i disagree with 4x12 almost for any reason aside from being a touring musician...like a pro, with roadies. WTF has time and space for those darn cabs? that, or you play in a high gain metal band and really you need the low end punch and response to even achieve your sound remotely. thats about the ONLY reason these days.

or, you are a big dude, but with big friends (who always love to help you carry your sh*t, no really, we dont have anything better to be doing, please i would love to carry your big stupid**s Sh*t for you please when can i start carry it i am so excited!!!)

...with a big truck, playing on stages with ample room (seriously, when was the last time you saw a bar stage and though, oh man we have way too much room up here, no problems at all this is great)

...yeah.

_______

avatar makes a fantastic product which is every bit as quality as big name brands charging 2-3x through normal distribution channels.

but personally, these days for 99% of guitarists, just invest in a "QUALITY" 1x12. cab. and get a good lunchbox head. like a mesa mark 5:25. and you can play just about anything just about anywhere except a massive outdoor venue with no large PA, where your band brings the PA, and you may be playing un-miced to a crowd of about 100+ in a large open area....on windy day. at a bar/ party scene.

seriously, that happens almost never. most places have a legit house setup..
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
i disagree with 4x12 almost for any reason aside from being a touring musician...like a pro, with roadies. WTF has time and space for those darn cabs? that, or you play in a high gain metal band and really you need the low end punch and response to even achieve your sound remotely. thats about the ONLY reason these days.

or, you are a big dude, but with big friends (who always love to help you carry your sh*t, no really, we dont have anything better to be doing, please i would love to carry your big stupid**s Sh*t for you please when can i start carry it i am so excited!!!)

...with a big truck, playing on stages with ample room (seriously, when was the last time you saw a bar stage and though, oh man we have way too much room up here, no problems at all this is great)

...yeah.

_______

avatar makes a fantastic product which is every bit as quality as big name brands charging 2-3x through normal distribution channels.

but personally, these days for 99% of guitarists, just invest in a "QUALITY" 1x12. cab. and get a good lunchbox head. like a mesa mark 5:25. and you can play just about anything just about anywhere except a massive outdoor venue with no large PA, where your band brings the PA, and you may be playing un-miced to a crowd of about 100+ in a large open area....on windy day. at a bar/ party scene.

seriously, that happens almost never. most places have a legit house setup..

I agree, but like you said, Im in a high gain metal band and Im kinda addicted to that low end punch you get, its not practical at all but I can carry it myself and I honestly think it looks cool.
I like the 4x12's better .... even for home , much fuller sound ...... I have one 1x12 several(3) 2x12's and just got a 4x12 .... I'll take the 4x12's over the others any day of the week , just make sure it has wheels
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Feb 14, 2016,
Buy both and sell one?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by ikey_

I have a really small house but find room for my 4x12. It's actually quite slim, so doesn't take up too much space (at home or on stage). You can put the head on top to save space (keep that between us).
Not sure why I'd need more time???
I don't play in a high gain metal band but still prefer the cab for what I do play.
I am tall and thin.
In my band we all offer to help each other carry things in, sounds like my friends are more helpful than yours. That said, I have no problems getting the cab in and out of the back of an old Toyota Starlet on my own. It also has wheels for rolling it around.

BTW, you forgot 'IMO' in your rant
Last edited by SpiderM at Feb 15, 2016,