I have always been a humbucker metal guy but being 33 im kinda growing out of the whole scene. My main go to axe is going the ways of old yeller so I bought a new guitar today. It was a sea foam green fender squier stratocaster i believe. I bonded with it as soon as I got it and It is a new world for me. I know these arent the guitars for metal. I don't want to do brutal B tunings anyways so my question is this...

Is there any newer-ish bands that use them? I am aware of every one in the 70's that used them and I dont play that kind of music... more heavy alternitive

I think Incubus uses them, and the guitarist from flyleaf... just seeing what kind of artist tones I can get out of this beautiful instrument.
Stratocasters are timeless, you're always gonna find some dude playing sweet licks with those. Unfortunately I'm not into recent music that much so I can only think of Erick Clapton, Jimi Hendrix and David Gilmour, but I think you get the idea. You may want to start with some of the good ol' stuff so you can feel a natural progression in your ways of playing. Anyways, if you want an easy start you can always go all the way to Yngwie Malmsteen (lol jk)

EDIT: I just remembered Iron Maiden plays mostly with strats
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ in Lemon Drop
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Michael Kelly 1953 in Blue Jean Wash
-Yamaha C40M
Last edited by RiksRiks at Feb 13, 2016,
The guitarist in Flyleaf puts a Hot Rails in the bridge of his Strat, and he also uses a PRS McCarty. So his main rhythm tone is all humbucker. The dude from Incubus has used pretty much everything; Ibanez, PRS, some Jazzmasters...

Most modern bands that use Strats in a heavier context probably have a humbucker of some sort in the bridge position. It just produces a sound more useful for heavier music, depending on what you're going for.

Tom Morello has used single-coil guitars in the past, I'm pretty sure you can hear his Tele in a lot of Rage's music. Sometimes Claudio from Coheed & Cambria uses a Strat, but mostly he seems to favor Explorers and Les Pauls. I know Brad from Linkin Park used a Strat on much of Minutes to Midnight, and Steven Wilson used to use a Strat or something like it for a while before he switched over to PRS.

You can probably find a lot of punk bands rocking Strats and Teles, as the harshness of a highly distorted single-coil in the bridge is actually quite conducive to the overall aesthetic. El Hefe from NOFX has at least one Tele, and I think I've seen him with a Danelectro with lipstick-tube pickups.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Guitarists who primarily or often play Strats or Stratclones are legion- besides those mentioned, their ranks include:

John Fruciante of RHCP
John Mayer
Henry Garza (Los Lonely Boys)
Eric Johnson
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Jeff Beck
Adrian Belew (before switching to Parker Flys)
Richie Blackmore
Bonnie Raitt
Ry Cooder
Robert Cray
Eddie Hazel
Nile Rodgers
Albert Hammond Jr (The Strokes)
Alex Turner (Arctic Monkeys)
Simon Neil (Biffy Clyro)

And many more.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by kumamilesbear
The guitarist in Flyleaf puts a Hot Rails in the bridge of his Strat, and he also uses a PRS McCarty. So his main rhythm tone is all humbucker. The dude from Incubus has used pretty much everything; Ibanez, PRS, some Jazzmasters...

Most modern bands that use Strats in a heavier context probably have a humbucker of some sort in the bridge position. It just produces a sound more useful for heavier music, depending on what you're going for.

Tom Morello has used single-coil guitars in the past, I'm pretty sure you can hear his Tele in a lot of Rage's music. Sometimes Claudio from Coheed & Cambria uses a Strat, but mostly he seems to favor Explorers and Les Pauls. I know Brad from Linkin Park used a Strat on much of Minutes to Midnight, and Steven Wilson used to use a Strat or something like it for a while before he switched over to PRS.

You can probably find a lot of punk bands rocking Strats and Teles, as the harshness of a highly distorted single-coil in the bridge is actually quite conducive to the overall aesthetic. El Hefe from NOFX has at least one Tele, and I think I've seen him with a Danelectro with lipstick-tube pickups.

I have had three different Stratocaster's with hot rails pickups in the bridge. You can't beat them for an in your face mid sound with no bottom end mud and no high-end trash. So they work well for playing lead in a band at a loud volume. Don't expect any Bell like chime for sure but they do work well for quack tone when combined with the middle pickup.

Anyway I've had so many Stratocaster's I lost count. My first real guitar was a 1963 Stratocaster I bought at the Emerald record shop for $125 and I've been hooked since.

I have had lots of guitars and continue to own lots of different types guitars but if I had to choose just one it would be the Stratocaster.
strats are played by any number of blues rock players both old and new. you will find them on metal albums more than you'd think as they have a different sound (even with heavy distortion) and retain note clarity way better for both chords and single note lines. Opeth used a 63 strat on a couple of albums not to long ago. plenty of strats in indie / alternative rock as well.