Hello People of UG,

For the people on here who actually play an instrument, is anyone else out there struggling at finding band members or people to jam with?

I mean I have heard most people say at how they never get any gigs or how the band disbanded after a couple of months but finding the members is the first thing you wanna do!

This day and age Its so difficult as now people have "standards and wont bother if you don't fit the category"

I.E they know what they are after it isn't you and they cant tell you what sound or whatever they are after

I have been to a few band auditions just to get screwed around I was in a studio with these people they literally shot down everything I was playing and went out for about 10 or 12 smokes in about 2 hours another band wanted to have a costume set which is fine but let me focus on the music first and if you have no demos or tapes I can hear or no tabs how am supposed to learn the song for the audition *Facepalm* I find a lot of bands have too many egos Doesnt matter if you can sweep arpeggios or play 100s of chords if they dont like you they dont like you I went to an audition once they didnt even give me a chance to show them what I could do they didnt ask me any questions didnt even catch half their names its ridicuous this is most band on websites I have met a few people from gigs who play but 90% of them cost money so its a problem anyone else have issues out there?

Thanks
Stuck in a Haze.
I've never actually been in a band but hung around a few and been invited to play in some but didn't really have the time to commit to it. I think going places like dive bars and places where smaller venues are played is a good way to find people and actually get to know people and talk about music styles and experience with playing. To me audition type settings seem to hold to much of an expectation feel. But again, getting to know people before you just jump into something seems to be the better way to me. Just my opinion. I know age and location may have a little to do with working as well or not too. Living downtown somewhere or college towns helps.
Quote by easytoremember1
Hello People of UG,

For the people on here who actually play an instrument, is anyone else out there struggling at finding band members or people to jam with?

I mean I have heard most people say at how they never get any gigs or how the band disbanded after a couple of months but finding the members is the first thing you wanna do!

This day and age Its so difficult as now people have "standards and wont bother if you don't fit the category"

I.E they know what they are after it isn't you and they cant tell you what sound or whatever they are after

I have been to a few band auditions just to get screwed around I was in a studio with these people they literally shot down everything I was playing and went out for about 10 or 12 smokes in about 2 hours another band wanted to have a costume set which is fine but let me focus on the music first and if you have no demos or tapes I can hear or no tabs how am supposed to learn the song for the audition *Facepalm* I find a lot of bands have too many egos Doesnt matter if you can sweep arpeggios or play 100s of chords if they dont like you they dont like you I went to an audition once they didnt even give me a chance to show them what I could do they didnt ask me any questions didnt even catch half their names its ridicuous this is most band on websites I have met a few people from gigs who play but 90% of them cost money so its a problem anyone else have issues out there?

Thanks

I have played in 30 some bands, had to audition for roughly half of them. The rest my reputation preceded me. Even before the band broke up or I quit I was getting calls. I have never failed an audition. I say that proudly , righteous pride.
Never go to an audition not knowing the guitar parts of the song you are going to play with the band. if The band just wants you to show up and play your guitar for them fuck them . I did that once for a road band that had an ad in the paper. I just showed up for the audition and played a jazzy version of fool on the Hill by the Beatles. The sophisticates from New York ate that shit up . They thought they were better than everybody else because they from New York. East Coast elitism is another story though. It's like rebel pride with a different accent and attitude.
Another thing is being able to sing. I hope this was enlightening and helpful .
Quote by UltimateGuizar
Do you have any songs on youtube yope?
I'd love to hear one.

got recordings all over the cover and originals recording forum . If you hear it I did it ,no backing tracks ,save drum machine .

This guy needs help though . Hes just starting ,I done w/ bands .
I have always struggled to find musicians to compose music with, or jam with. I've been in one band, we got 3 paid gigs. Never again. The usual problem with the musicians I want to work with is they don't know what they want out of life. You gotta understand life and yourself before you go and try to take over the world. You HAVE TO practice. How are you going to be a professional anything without practicing to be the best you can be? Not only do they not practice, they just dont care. What songs do you wanna cover? "IDK". What style of music do you want to compose? "IDK". When do you want to practice? "IDK".

Shit like this is why we cant have nice things.

One day I will be in an amazing band that has everything and people will say shit, I didnt think jrcsgtpeppers knew what he was doing, I always thought he was delusional and on drugs.