I post a bit about the Washburn Wing series T-bird I bought USED some time agoago, which I had re-fretted with Jescar gold EVO frets and brass nut, unplugged it sounds awesome.. Much improved sustain. When I opened her up, I noticed that the trem claw ground wire was removed.. after plugging her in, there is a unceasing hummm. when you touch the strings the hummm disappears.. Ok, ground issue, I soldered a ground wire from the claw to the back of one of the pots (volume) and plug her in, ok no hummm, but when I turn the tone knob the hummm increase incremental with the turn.. at max the hummm is loud.. So it is set at 2.. I even put aluminum on the control cover back.. Do I need to shield the control cavity and 3-way switch cavity? Thanks.

Picture of the guitar:

I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Feb 13, 2016,
Hey,

I don't know I'd it would make any difference but on my guitar the earth wire from the claw is soldered to my tone pot as there's already quite a lot going on on the back of the volume pot. Search on Google foe a generic wiring diagram for your guitar and check it's all wired up right. Hope this helps.
Thanks but it is hard to find wiring diagram for Washburn wing series T-bird, as it's 30+ yrs old.. 84' made in Japan.. I am guessing the previous owner played with it or he got it from someone who did.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Feb 13, 2016,
Normally I would say that this is simply a lack of shielding and has nothing to do with the pots or the wiring but if your bridge isn't grounded then you have a wiring problem as well. Fix the ground issue with the bridge and see how much that helps. If their is still a significant issue with buzz then start looking closer into the wiring to see if there are other floating wires that seem like they should connect to something. Then resolder all the connections to make sure their are no bad joints. If it's still noisy shield the cavities of the guitar with copper tape.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Feb 13, 2016,
^^^definitely follow his advice. What I normally do to to my guitars is bridge straight to the jack, pickups to volume pot, jump the volume to the tone, tone to next tone, then to the jack. No floating wires/crossing each other. Make sure the shielding of the control plate isn't marred where the pots make contact.

Shielding the cavity is optional, but it does help. In that case you have to make a ground connection via overlapping the cavity lip where the plate makes contact or soldering a wire to the copper tape. You can solder straight to the tape or screw a terminal to the side and solder a wire to the o-ring. I can't remember what it's called specifically but they sell em at most hardware stores
Weird thing is that when I went to my guitar tech, there was no hum.. So, speculation is bad guitar cable. After I got home I tried different guitar cable and still had hum which gets louder as you turn on tone knob.. I went to different room and plug into different outlet but still has hum.. The house must have a lots of IR signal.

Only solution I could think of was shielding the electronic cavity.. Copper tape or shielding paint.. I have both, so I tried shielding paint and the guitar is quiet now..

Thanks again for all the help.
If your house sends the internet through the power lines then that can cause hum. Microwaves, florescent lights, can some telephones can cause issues too.
Not taking any online orders.
Sorry, I forgot to post what I did to solve the buzzing humming issue.. after I cleaned the pots with contact cleaner and re-soldered some wires, then I painted the entire control cavity with shielding paint, put aluminum shielding on the control cover (to ensure little to no electro-magnetic interference), and also shielding paint in the 3-way switch cavity. She is silent and plays beautifully now.