I want to put a new set of strings on my new Seagull S6 QI. I want a bright rich tone. What are the best strings that will help me accomplish that? Thanks.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
I just broke in a set of Martin silk core strings on my Seagull Entourage CW GT QI. It's not a super bright sound, but it's got a very rich tone and they're my favorite playing strings I've used so far.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Quote by 457undead
I want to put a new set of strings on my new Seagull S6 QI. I want a bright rich tone. What are the best strings that will help me accomplish that? Thanks.
Generally speaking, (Going from "dull", OK "mellow" to bright), the order is: silk & steel, phosphor bronze, then brightest is "brass".

What I mean by "brass", are alloys marked by "80/20". (That "brass" is actually "bell bronze", but I call it brass, as do some makers, to avoid confusing it with "phosphor bronze", something entirely different.

The difference between brands, isn't as significant as the difference between alloys. However with more experience, you could possibly develop a brand preference as well. Many players do.

New strings are bright, and get more "mellow" as they age. Point being, the player gets used to it and IMHO, starts to blame the dull, (sorry, I meant "mellow"), on the type of strings, rather than their age.

Couple of points: I've been gravitating toward 80/20 for 6 strings, but won't use anything but phosphor bronze on 12 strings. That probably helps me to eliminate some of the "too bright" from the twelves, and make the loss of high end less apparent when I pick up a six.

"Elixir", brand strings have a reputation for being pretty bright across the board. But, they're heavily coated, so they retain their initial brightness quite a bit longer.

To make a long story short, if you want "bright", first go with 80/20 strings, but give them a few hours to break in They really "sting" and lack a decent bottom end when they're brand new.

As always, "your results may vary".
80/20 start off bright, but tend to go dull faster than phos bronze. I've been using phos bronze mediums (13-56) on dread-sized guitars for as long as I can remember because they stay bright for a reasonable time. Silk and steel don't get above my horizon because they are a light gauge. I've recently tried aluminium bronze on one guitar, they are brighter than phos bronze and supposedly longer lasting. So far I like them a lot. Monels are supposed to be warmer and woodier-sounding than phos bronze; not my cup of tea at all, but seem to be getting popular with trad 'grassers. I've only ever tried coated strings on guitars in shops, and they have sounded thin and stringy to me; I've never considered buying them.

OK, two picks

John Pearse 13-56 phos bronze
Ernie Ball 13-56 aluminium bronze.
I got a set of John Pearse Phosphor Bronze Mediums and they were my favorite sounding strings I think I ever had. However 3 of them broke within a month during normal playing. I also change tunings often, which may have been the culprit for me, but if you stay in standard, or live in a more climate friendly zone you'd probably get better results (I'm also not great at stringing)
Quote by 457undead

Elixirs have a bright tone which I really like. They are expensive but they last a long time.
Quote by TobusRex
Elixirs have a bright tone which I really like. They are expensive but they last a long time.

I think I am going to go with Elixir, what set of Elixirs should I get though? Thanks.
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Quote by 457undead
I think I am going to go with Elixir, what set of Elixirs should I get though? Thanks.

Seagull recommends .012-.053 gauge strings for their 6 string guitars. I'd recommend the strings below:

Elixir® Light Gauge Phosphor Bronze NANOWEB® (.012-.053).

They last a long time too. I've been playing a lot on my new guitar the last couple months and the strings are just now starting to crap out. Well, not crap out, but they aren't as bright as they once were.

By the way...Congratulations. Looked up that model of guitar and it looks like a really nice one.
Quote by TobusRex
Seagull recommends .012-.053 gauge strings for their 6 string guitars. I'd recommend the strings below:

Elixir® Light Gauge Phosphor Bronze NANOWEB® (.012-.053).

They last a long time too. I've been playing a lot on my new guitar the last couple months and the strings are just now starting to crap out. Well, not crap out, but they aren't as bright as they once were.

By the way...Congratulations. Looked up that model of guitar and it looks like a really nice one.

Alright, I'll make sure to get those this week when I head up to GC. Thanks, I actually got this guitar last week new for a steal, $370.
Quote by lolmnt

Quote by snipelfritz
You'll only really find your ideal strings after years of playing, so after you try one set, try another, always experiment. I recently landed on DR EXPs, they're coated phosphor bronze like elixr, but I find them to be a bit more resilient and don't shed like a snake in heat like elixirs tend to do.
Quote by Fat Lard
post of the year, thank you
Quote by Jimjambanx
You'll only really find your ideal strings after years of playing, so after you try one set, try another, always experiment. I recently landed on DR EXPs, they're coated phosphor bronze like elixr, but I find them to be a bit more resilient and don't shed like a snake in heat like elixirs tend to do.
Are you sure you don't mean, "DR Dragon Skin"? ("EXP" is D'Addario's coated brand).

The reason neither vof those brands "shed", is because the coating isn't a tube as in the Elixir, "Nanowebs".

Those Elixirs do stay around for what seems like an eternity. My Taylor 115e (12 string), came with the Elixir Nanoweb PB. I bought it last June and it's not anywhere near where I would change the strings, at least on a 12.
When my strings start to get dull I clean them. Trash bag under the strings, over the fretboard, tooth brush, water and Ajax or Comet type cleanser, scrub, rinse, wipe dry and blow dry on cool. Strings are almost like brand new.
Quote by skido13
When my strings start to get dull I clean them. Trash bag under the strings, over the fretboard, tooth brush, water and Ajax or Comet type cleanser, scrub, rinse, wipe dry and blow dry on cool. Strings are almost like brand new.

You just scrub them still on the guitar huh? Clever. And lazy.

I like it.
Quote by TobusRex
You just scrub them still on the guitar huh? Clever. And lazy.

I like it.
I have found, (and this may be only superstition), that strings lose their "twang" faster, when you drop the tuning to slack, and then tune up again.

By this I mean, trying to set the action gradually, with several tune up, then release cycles, usually ruins the string set.

So, cleaning them in place, would be a way around this

I'm a little harder core, and if I were going to try this, it might be with WD-40 along with a couple of squirts of brake cleaner. (Dear god, don't go anywhere near the finish with that shit though).

Of course, someone may else may have different results.

On an even further fetched hypothesis, I would also swear the first string set you get with the guitar, lasts the longest, even if you replace them with the same exact thing.

This is also explicable if the guitar were stored in a dryer environment than I have at home. As the wood takes on water, the edge can come off the sound. < I've included this so I don't sound too awfully crazy.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 15, 2016,