Hello,

I just got a new Les Paul-style guitar and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe that sound awesome together for clean, but the only pedals I have are a Boss DS-1 and a cheap Pyle wah that don't sound too amazing.

I'm in the market for mainly some dirt pedals that would work well with my rig. I'm looking to get 3 main tones: an edge of breakup SRV tone for rhythm, a singing blues lead tone, and then a 70s-80s rock Marshall-like tone, and I'm looking to spend less than $200 on pedals.

Do you think I should use that money to get 2-3 drive pedals, like a tubescreamer or other OD and some good distortion pedal, or do you think I would be better off going with a multi-effects pedal to get all those tones in one? Also, do you have any specific pedals that you can recommend especially those that would work well with my Hot Rod?

Thanks!
I always recommend to use physical stompboxes for preamp effects, like compression, dirt, etc. Delays and reverbs and such are fine in multi-effects form.

A TS9 will get you both the SRV and the Blues tone (pretty similar, eh?). For the Marshall tone that is a bit more tricky. The pedal that first comes to mind is the MI Audio Crunch Box.

You can also find a Fulltone Fulldrive in that price range which will cover the TS9 sound and has some other bells and whistles too.
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 13, 2016,
Maybe some kind of dual overdrive/distortion pedal or two overdrives?

I use two overdrives in conjunction, a Voodoolab Sparkle Drive and Budda Zenman overdrive, which has boost and overdive stage.

I think the Tech21 would be a good match as you can cascade two gain stages with it:
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/DistShootout/tech21doubledrive.htm

Jekkyll & Hyde does pretty much the same thing.

Also the Tech21 Character series - you might be able to get a Marshall in a pedal, perhaps the "British"
http://tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/characterseries.html
There is also the Carl Martin Plexitone which is a fantastic boost and Plexi in one, it might also cover all your tones but you'll have to manually dial the gain up and down as per your requirement (eason why I use stacked Ods).
Quote by Will Lane
I always recommend to use physical stompboxes for preamp effects, like compression, dirt, etc. Delays and reverbs and such are fine in multi-effects form.

A TS9 will get you both the SRV and the Blues tone (pretty similar, eh?). For the Marshall tone that is a bit more tricky. The pedal that first comes to mind is the MI Audio Crunch Box.

You can also find a Fulltone Fulldrive in that price range which will cover the TS9 sound and has some other bells and whistles too.

The Fulldrive is awesome, so is the Crunchbox. The Fulltone GT500 is a good choice too. One half is pretty much a TS clone and the other half is very Crunchbox like. Awesome pedal.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I have a HRD myself.

A Jekyll & Hyde is a good option: for not a lot of money, you get a well-built TS-style OD plus distortion. The only downside is the oddball shape. (I have one of these, as well.)

The Keeley Karana Blues Drive is another good option. The regular Katana is a great transparent OD, but I don't usually look for clean ODs. The Blues Drive version is thicker & grittier.

The Dr. No Drive-O-Matic is a tasty OD that seems to work better with HBs than singlecoils (could be my imagination, though).
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
+1 on the fulldrive. I paid $70 for mine. You can find them cheap.

+1 on the gt500, I have one of theese too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Neither is better. The Fulldrive is a tubescreamer clone with all the bells and whistles and a boost. The GT500 is a clean(ish) boost and a distortion pedal in one box. Both are very good, but they do different things. If being able to get a crunchy marshally sound is important then the GT500 is probably the one you'll like more.

That being said, I think I slightly prefer the MI Audio Crunchbox for that kind of sound, but it is a standalone distortion pedal and you'd probably want to get a 'regular' OD for the more bluesy stuff.

Really anything mentioned in this thread can do what you want, in the end it'll all come down to preference.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Neither is better. The Fulldrive is a tubescreamer clone with all the bells and whistles and a boost. The GT500 is a clean(ish) boost and a distortion pedal in one box. Both are very good, but they do different things. If being able to get a crunchy marshally sound is important then the GT500 is probably the one you'll like more.

That being said, I think I slightly prefer the MI Audio Crunchbox for that kind of sound, but it is a standalone distortion pedal and you'd probably want to get a 'regular' OD for the more bluesy stuff.

Really anything mentioned in this thread can do what you want, in the end it'll all come down to preference.

Spot on. i use my FD-2 a lot more than my GT500, but there are reasons why i use the GT500 when i need to. if you are looking to get a little on the heavy side, i would go GT500, but the FD-2 is a little bit more specialized.

two other options, i like my visual sound double trouble (two tubescreamers in one), and it is a good option. however, the route 66 may be a great thing for you because it has an OD and compressor. a little different.

i just picked up a fulltone catalyst, and it is pretty cool. you can find them for $60 all day. it is a clean boost OR fuzz (switch between modes). pretty flexible.

if i were you, i would say to get a visual sound route 66 and a GT500. you would be covered for just about everything. you would have a compressor, an OD, a second OD, and a distortion. that combination is hard to beat.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
One of the things about the Visual Sounds (now TruTone) pedals is that they're built like tanks. That means not only will they stand up to YOUR abuse, but also that they're fairly easy to find at ridiculously nice prices on the web...still in perfectly usable shape. Like I said, I personally have a Jekyll & Hyde, and I also have a H20 (chorus/echo), and they're simply invulnerable. AND they sound good.

Like the J&H, the Double Trouble and Route 66 OD circuits are based on TubeScreamers, and- like all VS dual pedals- both sides can be used individually or together.

However, I've heard some negatives about the Route 66, namely that the compressor side tends to the noisy side. So, while I really like VS pedals in general, I can't recommend that one.

Still, a DT would be a good option. With dual ODs, you can set them differently for different boost levels- say, one clean(ish) and one dirty- or simply stacked like I'm told SRV used to do with his TubeScreamers.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by gabrielmukobi

I'm in the market for mainly some dirt pedals that would work well with my rig. I'm looking to get 3 main tones: an edge of breakup SRV tone for rhythm, a singing blues lead tone, and then a 70s-80s rock Marshall-like tone, and I'm looking to spend less than $200 on pedals.

Do you think I should use that money to get 2-3 drive pedals, like a tubescreamer or other OD and some good distortion pedal, or do you think I would be better off going with a multi-effects pedal to get all those tones in one?

I have a tube amp that was modified slightly to get all of those tones within the amp itself.
The addition of a control that will allow me to dial the negative feedback from the standard amount down to zero allows me to get that edge of breakup sound from either channel. A change to the tone stack has the amp sounding like a vintage Marshall, but with more gain than any vintage Marshall ever had. Easy to find a singing blues lead tone there as well.

I have well over a hundred pedals at this point (two and a half flap-top bins full, packed densely). At some point it occurred to me that perhaps one of those Multi-FX gizmos might be cheaper (and more compact) than the sprawl of pedals, connectors, power bricks, etc. I'd been working with. A used Pod XT or X3 Live, for example, should be around $125-150, and even if you don't use the amps and cabs bits, you'll have a lot of built-in effects to play with and the ability to set up your own presets. There's just one cable in and out, one wall wart/power brick to worry about, and a built-in expression pedal, tuner, etc.

When you KNOW what you want (you can actually use the Pod as a guide to pedal types you might want to try individually), you'll be buying a lot more judiciously.
When you KNOW what you want (you can actually use the Pod as a guide to pedal types you might want to try individually), you'll be buying a lot more judiciously.

Agreed- that is actually a major part of how & why I use my Korg Pandoras and similar devices.

(I'm somewhere around 50 pedals and a DigiTech iPB-10... )

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 14, 2016,
especially for the Marshall tone in question, I am interested in a pedal too: wampler plexi-drive
Do any of you know about it people? sounded great to me on utube
Quote by Will Lane
^ I would have suggested looking into the Plexi Drive but TS' budget was somewhat too low for that. I would go with the Deluxe version, though, if you're interested in that pedal.

hey thanks, yes I noticed the budget issue, the deluxe version is not available in my country, how is that important if you oblige me with some info?
I have a Fender HRD II. I use a TS9 or a Zakk Wylde Overdrive. Both sound great. The MXR is darker and sounds more like a distortion while the TS9 has a greater mid boost. To get more gain I boost the signal with a compressor. My favourite one is the dynacomp. It allows me to have great funky cleans, overdrive and compressed overdrive that sounds similar to a distortion. As a vague rule that does not always apply, I prefer the TS9 with single coils and the ZW-44 with humbucking pickups.

For more gain lead work, I got a Proco You Dirty Rat. It does not sound like a marshall but it has its own cool sound. This version is a germanium diode clipping pedal so it is smoother than the silicone counterparts. It starts breaking up earlier, thus, has a bit of a volume drop compared to the silicone ones.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification