Page 1 of 5
Your senate sounds like dildos
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Yeah, this is interesting. Glad Obama is going ahead with it.

Senate is possibly going back to Democrats next year.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
It's payback time for what they did to Bork in the 80s. This is the ultimate test for the already abhorred Republican Senate.
Quote by whywefight at #33832436
The onion posted an absolutely barbaric headline on Scalia already. Absolute gold, would link if I wasnt on my phone

was it this

http://www.theonion.com/graphic/justice-scalia-dead-following-30-year-battle-socia-52356
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa

that's not even barbaric it's just straight up true

it was about time
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Imagine they successfully delay and then get a nominee from Bernie instead.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr

Delay for 4 more years. Ofcourse.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
The real life Devil finally got to him.

Natural causes my ass.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by i_lovemetallica
Your senate sounds like dildos

The ones talking are Republicans. This is the same party that was willing to let the USA burn as long as they "insure Obama fails". That line came from party "boss" Limbaugh himself, and the GOP sure as hell tried their best to insure it happened.

The hilarious part is this: Obama is likely less liberal than the next president. If the Republicans in the Senate tie up the process that will likely result in Hillary or Sanders putting up even more liberal justice candidates.

This is like a gift for the Democrats. Firstly an arch-moron who believed it unconstitutional for blacks to be considered fully human (Scalia adhered to the "3/5 of a human" description of slaves in the original Constitution) is dead. Secondly if the GOP tries to block a replacement SCOTUS justice they come off as petty crybabies (which they are!). It's a win-win for the Democrats.
Last edited by TobusRex at Feb 13, 2016,
^ Being Australian, most of what you said didn't make much sense to me, but the general gist of it seems to be that my original statement is correct.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by ErikLensherr at #33832495

Imagine they successfully delay and Hillary/Bernie nominate Obama
american politics is pr fascinating right now it would be cool if i had the ability to influence it but oh well
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I thought you were american bb joel

Can't say I'm mourning Scalia's passing
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
If he had died in like August or something, I could understand the delay, but it seems a little excessive at this point.

Also, a lot of those members of congress might find themselves out of work if they cause too much trouble. I'm pretty sure Oklahoma will be changing up its reps this year with how things have been going.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by CL/\SH
I thought you were american bb joel

bb joel is everything & nothing

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by i_lovemetallica
^ Being Australian, most of what you said didn't make much sense to me, but the general gist of it seems to be that my original statement is correct.

You are indeed correct.

Seriously the people who don't live in the USA have no idea about the Republican Party. It's a political party that denies basic scientific fact (global warming, evolution, etc). You wouldn't believe the stupid crap that comes out of those imbeciles mouths. I know what you are thinking: since they are saying imbecilic nonsense how are they getting so many votes? Simple: a good chunk of the American population are simpleton evangelical "one issue" voters. Throw in some nonsense about gay marriage or abortion, even if you plan on doing nothing about those issues, and voila: you are a Republican contender.
Quote by Shotgunmerc
Imagine they successfully delay and Hillary/Bernie nominate Obama

Haha...that would be amazing!

On another note: I hope Obama shows more backbone as a SCOTUS judge than he has as President.
Quote by TobusRex
This is like a gift for the Democrats. Firstly an arch-moron who believed it unconstitutional for blacks to be considered fully human (Scalia adhered to the "3/5 of a human" description of slaves in the original Constitution) is dead. Secondly if the GOP tries to block a replacement SCOTUS justice they come off as petty crybabies (which they are!). It's a win-win for the Democrats.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. That 3/5 thing is 100% wrong. I probably disagree with most of what Scalia ever said because I'm not a conservative, but that's just nonsense. Scalia was an originalist, in that when it comes to Constitutional interpretation, he believed it should be interpreted as they intended it. He did NOT believe it was a perfect document, or that it should never be amended.

He simply believed activist judges were a cancer. The court's job is to adjudicate according to the law as it is written, not as they wish it were written. There are 3 branches of government, checks and balances, separation of powers, etc. I don't fully agree that activist judges are a cancer, but I understand the sentiment. It cuts both ways. Everyone loves an activist judge who shares their beliefs, just like everyone hates an activist judge who doesn't.

Also, it's been over 80 years since a Supreme Court justice was approved within a year. The odds are highly against a justice being appointed by Obama, and the odds would be just the same were the Repubs the ones nominating the next justice.
Quote by TobusRex
You are indeed correct.

Seriously the people who don't live in the USA have no idea about the Republican Party. It's a political party that denies basic scientific fact (global warming, evolution, abortion causes cancer, etc). You wouldn't believe the stupid crap that comes out of those imbeciles mouths. I know what you are thinking: since they are saying imbecilic nonsense how are they getting so many votes? Simple: a good chunk of the American population are simpleton evangelical "one issue" voters. Throw in some nonsense about gay marriage or abortion, even if you plan on doing nothing about those issues, and voila: you are a Republican contender.

We have those in Australia as well, but I've never really understood the political divide in America.

In Aus we have two major parties, Labour and Liberal, and to this day, I have never seen anyone be made fun of because of the way they vote.....like, to me, Americans seem to get so upset over people's political preference.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
We have those in Australia as well, but I've never really understood the political divide in America.

In Aus we have two major parties, Labour and Liberal, and to this day, I have never seen anyone be made fun of because of the way they vote.....like, to me, Americans seem to get so upset over people's political preference.

That's because everyone thinks they're right when next to nobody actually is
Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
bb joel is everything & nothing

that's deep
Quote by justwanttosay
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. That 3/5 thing is 100% wrong. I probably disagree with most of what Scalia ever said because I'm not a conservative, but that's just nonsense. Scalia was an originalist, in that when it comes to Constitutional interpretation, he believed it should be interpreted as they intended it. He did NOT believe it was a perfect document, or that it should never be amended.

He simply believed activist judges were a cancer. The court's job is to adjudicate according to the law as it is written, not as they wish it were written. There are 3 branches of government, checks and balances, separation of powers, etc. I don't fully agree that activist judges are a cancer, but I understand the sentiment. It cuts both ways. Everyone loves an activist judge who shares their beliefs, just like everyone hates an activist judge who doesn't.

Also, it's been over 80 years since a Supreme Court justice was approved within a year. The odds are highly against a justice being appointed by Obama, and the odds would be just the same were the Repubs the ones nominating the next justice.

Actually I DO know what I'm talking about. You said it yourself..Scalia was an "originalist", and guess what slaves were considered in the original Constitution? 3/5's human. That was the compromise with southerners who wanted blacks to NOT be classified as human at all.

That being said at least Scalia was consistent. I can respect that about him at least. On the other hand he was corrupt and refused to recuse himself from cases in which he had a personal interest.

Scalia dying is very, very good for America. Now we can replace him and it is almost guaranteed to be an improvement (unless there is another person as inept as Clarence Thomas out there).
Quote by justwanttosay

wasn't that Kennedy guy approved in a year? I didn't feel like actually looking it up
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by i_lovemetallica

In the USA it's not just political, it's also got a bizarre religious component to it, thanks to the influence of evangelicals. So you have one party kissing the ass of evangelicals and writing legislation to pander to those idiots. Needless to say that offends a lot of people (like myself) who think that legislation should be based on pragmatism and reality, not wishful thinking. For example the evangelicals don't think global warming is a problem because "God isn't going to end the world that way". Seriously. And the GOP quite happily goes along with that lie because it appeals to their biggest campaign contributors denial of global warming (Big Oil). And that doesn't even touch on the other people it offends because the evangelicals are typically bigots. On the topic of Israel the evangelicals want to bind the USA to them NO MATTER WHAT ISRAEL DOES. Why? Because in Revelations (in the Bible) it is stated that any who "turn on Israel" will be cursed. Those morons want modern foreign policy to be determined by stuff written over 2,000 years ago (by a Jewish guy...but he certainly had no agenda! LOL!). Pretty stupid stuff when you think about it.

It's a very tightly wrapped ball of shit and frenzy. I envy you your healthcare system, btw!
Quote by TobusRex
Actually I DO know what I'm talking about. You said it yourself..Scalia was an "originalist", and guess what slaves were considered in the original Constitution? 3/5's human. That was the compromise with southerners who wanted blacks to NOT be classified as human at all.

Nope, you still don't know what you're talking about.

You're misunderstanding what originalism actually is. Originalism is NOT the belief that the Constitution is perfect or that the original Constitution was the best one. It's the perspective that when interpreting the Constitution for court cases, one should interpret it as it was written. HOWEVER, the Constitution was amended. Repeatedly. And the amendments are a part of the Constitution.

The rationale here is that the legislature should legislate, and the judiciary should adjudicate.
Worse still, Republicans vote every Wednesday to kill everyone's grandmother and throw orphans in the snow.
Quote by justwanttosay
Nope, you still don't know what you're talking about.

You're misunderstanding what originalism actually is. Originalism is NOT the belief that the Constitution is perfect or that the original Constitution was the best one. It's the perspective that when interpreting the Constitution for court cases, one should interpret it as it was written. HOWEVER, the Constitution was amended. Repeatedly. And the amendments are a part of the Constitution.

The rationale here is that the legislature should legislate, and the judiciary should adjudicate.

And you are making the assumption that I don't know what originalism is. I DO. That doesn't mean that Scalia was above reproach for his bizarre adherence to the 3/5s rule. He also thought women shouldn't be allowed to vote (because they weren't originally).

Originalists of the Constitution, by the way, are idiots. The world has changed profoundly since the Constitution was ratified. Scalia wasn't smart enough to notice.
Quote by TobusRex
In the USA it's not just political, it's also got a bizarre religious component to it, thanks to the influence of evangelicals. So you have one party kissing the ass of evangelicals and writing legislation to pander to those idiots. Needless to say that offends a lot of people (like myself) who think that legislation should be based on pragmatism and reality, not wishful thinking. For example the evangelicals don't think global warming is a problem because "God isn't going to end the world that way". Seriously. And the GOP quite happily goes along with that lie because it appeals to their biggest campaign contributors denial of global warming (Big Oil). And that doesn't even touch on the other people it offends because the evangelicals are typically bigots. On the topic of Israel the evangelicals want to bind the USA to them NO MATTER WHAT ISRAEL DOES. Why? Because in Revelations (in the Bible) it is stated that any who "turn on Israel" will be cursed. Those morons want modern foreign policy to be determined by stuff written over 2,000 years ago (by a Jewish guy...but he certainly had no agenda! LOL!). Pretty stupid stuff when you think about it.

It's a very tightly wrapped ball of shit and frenzy. I envy you your healthcare system, btw!

If you could jerk yourself off harder, you might tear something. All your statements essentially point back to yourself and how you're superior to a large portion of the country. All Republicans are idiots. All evangelicals are idiots. Weird how those are two groups that you consider yourself the opposite of. I don't think you're not those two things because they're idiots. I think those things are not you and therefore they are idiots.

it never ceases to amaze me how you can make me cringe when I think of how far to the left I sit in American politics. Like, your posts are representations of everything wrong with American politics. Ridiculously polarized. Uninformed. Self-important. Based on manipulative logic. Generally lacking in any empathy for people different than you are.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Rossenrot
Worse still, Republicans vote every Wednesday to kill everyone's grandmother and throw orphans in the snow.
Quote by TobusRex
And you are making the assumption that I don't know what originalism is. I DO. That doesn't mean that Scalia was above reproach for his bizarre adherence to the 3/5s rule. He also thought women shouldn't be allowed to vote (because they weren't originally).

Originalists of the Constitution, by the way, are idiots. The world has changed profoundly since the Constitution was ratified. Scalia wasn't smart enough to notice.

I'm making the assumption you don't know what originalism is because you have, for the third time now, demonstrated you don't know what originalism is.

How are you still not getting this? Scalia did NOT adhere to the 3/5 rule. If there was no 14th amendment, he might have ruled in favor of it, though he would obviously write in his opinion (as he often did), that it's not up to the Court to draft policy or change laws, but only to judge. He also did NOT say women shouldn't be able to vote.

Say what you will about the man, but he was absolutely brilliant. Like I said earlier, I profoundly disagree with his views as I'm not remotely conservative, but he wasn't an idiot. HE at least was capable of comprehending what originalism means.

And finally, the world changing profoundly since the constitution doesn't invalidate originalism. Originalism doesn't state the constitution shouldn't be changed. It simply states that until it is, it should be interpreted as it was written. I'm not a strict originalist, but I do think judges should probably keep away from judicial activism except in extreme circumstances (like civil rights issues).

Quote by BladeSlinger
If you could jerk yourself off harder, you might tear something. All your statements essentially point back to yourself and how you're superior to a large portion of the country. All Republicans are idiots. All evangelicals are idiots. Weird how those are two groups that you consider yourself the opposite of. I don't think you're not those two things because they're idiots. I think those things are not you and therefore they are idiots.

it never ceases to amaze me how you can make me cringe when I think of how far to the left I sit in American politics. Like, your posts are representations of everything wrong with American politics. Ridiculously polarized. Uninformed. Self-important. Based on manipulative logic. Generally lacking in any empathy for people different than you are.

You forgot profoundly ignorant. I hate the GOP. I mean, I REALLY hate the GOP. But somehow his posts just make me want to buy a truck, a gun rack, an American flag, a bumpersticker that says I support the troops, and another bumpersticker with some anti-Obama message on it.
Last edited by justwanttosay at Feb 13, 2016,
Quote by justwanttosay
I'm making the assumption you don't know what originalism is because you have, for the third time now, demonstrated you don't know what originalism is.

How are you still not getting this? Scalia did NOT adhere to the 3/5 rule. If there was no 14th amendment, he might have ruled in favor of it, though he would obviously write in his opinion (as he often did), that it's not up to the Court to draft policy or change laws, but only to judge. He also did NOT say women shouldn't be able to vote.

Say what you will about the man, but he was absolutely brilliant. Like I said earlier, I profoundly disagree with his views as I'm not remotely conservative, but he wasn't an idiot. HE at least was capable of comprehending what originalism means.

And finally, the world changing profoundly since the constitution doesn't invalidate originalism. Originalism doesn't state the constitution shouldn't be changed. It simply states that until it is, it should be interpreted as it was written. I'm not a strict originalist, but I do think judges should probably keep away from judicial activism except in extreme circumstances (like civil rights issues).

Think of the stereotypical conservative that thinks Obama is a Muslim communist who is going to make guns completely illegal and enforce Sharia law. They cannot be swayed by reason or evidence, but will swear up and down that everyone else is brainwashed.

The liberal version of that is TobusRex.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger

You are ignorant. You act all upset and horrified that I don't treat the Republicans as my intellectual equals. Guess what...they aren't. I believe in science. I don't believe that a giant invisible spirit man will make things all right in the end. What does that mean? That means that I'm an adult, and the entire damn Republican Party isn't.

I'm not liberal. I'm moderate. I'm socially "liberal" (more like "pragmatic") and fiscally "conservative". That's what Republicans call themselves right? Fiscally responsible? But they aren't...and I am. The problem is that the right DO NOT PRACTICE POLITICS BASED ON REALITY. The fact is the GOP has moved so ludicrously far to the right that anyone that isn't conservative is branded "liberal".

I suggest you take the time to acquaint yourself more intimately with Republican politics, you are hopelessly ignorant of their incompetence.
Page 1 of 5