I finally got around to building a partscaster after the parts had been sitting around for a while. I followed a diagram from fender itself (3 p/up, 1 vol, 2 tone 5 way switch)
my problem is not in my soldering itself, as I am a vehicle mechanic, and can solder.

however, when the vol knob is in between 0 and 10, I have a real bad hum. at 0 and 10, it's minimal, such as a normal single coil hum. I was wondering if any of you have had a similar fault? cap on tone know to wrong lug or something? I don't know.

cheers guys!
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
describe the hum, the first question I always ask is does it go away when you touch anything metal , by the way if you can take a photo i'll see what kind of tones you have so I can help. If the schematic is based off of a fender strat as in both tones do the same thing this is what you want to go with.

but of course this is for a tone in the middle and neck positions only like classic strats and Ibanez RG style guitars, however if you have a more exotic harness send me a message and I'll help you out.

with this photo though regardless of a 3 pickup combination grounding doesn't change. I tend to ground pickups on the switch itself which on some guitars where the switch is a "mile" away this really comes in handy.

but pretty much
*ground is pot to pot a straight trail down
*the input jack should go to sleeve
*the strings should be grounded
*the pickups bare wires / south starts (on 4 wire pickups) should be grounded to the back of the pot

jackson guitars X to pro series (owned like 11 of them) tend to have ground loops where a lot of grounding is not done on the pots but as long as you get that trail out of the guitar and the bridge is grounded and finally the two right contacts are going on the switch you've done your job. To reduce hum copper shielding tape and an EMI/RFI reducing power bar goes a long way for apartments and so forth. Knowing these tips kept me from needing actives as some guys were so picky with hum in their guitars I had to learn these tricks.

Last edited by Tallwood13 at Feb 13, 2016,
cant get a pic at the moment. i hae a 500k for vol,and i have a cap on both tones.

the hum goes away when yes, i touch aka earth. same as when its not on 10. if i turn down, it goes away.
Quote by element4433

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
no problem i can still help.

ok the easiest thing to try. If you have a multimeter. Check the continuity of the pots/posts. You can plug the guitar in and use the second half of the guitars cable to test the wires. You also get a beep if you touch say a stoptail piece or tremolo. Continuity as we know is checking to see if there is a proper connection between wires.

with a guitar cable the input jack has 3 contacts just like our guitar stereo jacks.
tip - litterally the tip - hot lead - signal in
sleeve - the side closer to the cable - ground - signal out
ring - the black circle - for active pickups batteries

so touch say the bridge/stoptail or tremolo (whatever the guitar is) one prong to the bridge and one prong to the sleeve of the input jack and listen for a beep. Then the process of elimination begins you can check pot to pot

But if not grounding is an easy fix that I usually find the answer without taking a harness apart. In case you don't have a multimeter.

when you open the control cavity is there a wire inside there that you only see half that the pickups and input jack are not associated to on les pauls or the claw of a tremolo If so that is the first place I look.

on older guitars contact cleaner inside the pots eliminates scratchiness , but this isn't that hum right?

anyways let's see what others have to say too.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Feb 13, 2016,
i have grounded to the claw... i had a multimeter but some arse stole it. ill grab a test light outta my toolbox on mon. i have a cap on each pot. i might just buy a harness off guitar fetish or something..
Quote by element4433

Quote by Roc8995
No.