Going into music uni I really need a new electric, my old one just aint cutting the mustard. I just spent 5k on an acoustic last year, so I really don't want to go overkill again, anything in the AU$1000-2000 is something I'd be happy with. However, the only two guitars I really want are well above that (strandberg and USA PRS).

I've found a nice looking PRS S2 for less than 2000 http://www.skymusic.com.au/PRS-S2-Custom-22-Blue-Crab-Smokeburst.html but I've heard a lot of varying opinions on S2s. I've heard some people say they're great value for a Maryland made guitar, and I've heard some people they're just a more expensive SE.

If anyone has any experience with these guitars, (no store anywhere near me has them in stock) what were your impressions? Are they worth the money, and if not, are there any alternatives that deliver the same PRS features? (sound, looks, playability etc.)

I primarily listen to prog metal and bands like Karnivool, Chaos Divine, Tool, Opeth, old Dream Theater, and I like to play a lot of jazz as well.

P.S. Please bear in mind I need to be able to get these guitars in Australia, lest I pay my leg in import tax and shipping.
Quote by Fat Lard
post of the year, thank you
look for a used CE. i have played one in the past and it was very nice, its USA and itentical to the CU, with the exception of the neck joint. Robb has a CE and he has always liked it.

the S2's are nice, but from my (admittingly) limited experience on the S2, wasn't wow'd as much as i thought i would have been.

i would look into an EBMM axis or even a JP model. they are next on my list. but it will be a while.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Check out some used PRS Custom 22/24s or PRS CE. Some of them cost the same as a new S2, but they benefit more.
About the whole CE thing, I wish I could look for one, but there simply aren't any in AUS, I looked everywhere. The only used ones are from the US, and once you take shipping, import tax, and Australia's weak as piss dollar, they simply go over my budget. Same thing with used USA models, very few of them in Australia, and the ones that are here are still over my budget. Same thing with MMJPs.
Quote by Fat Lard
Just found a used PRS McCarty for AU$1900, these any good?
Quote by Fat Lard
The CE22/24 are great guitars. They are identical to the custom 22/24models except they have a bolt-thru maple neck and 99% of them only have moon inlays not birds. Bird inlays on a CE model is extremely rare and PRS claims they have never made them but there are some out there *(probably special orders). But you get all the same hardware and electronics as the custom/standards

The McCarty is a very nice guitar, but they have a fatter neck than most PRS guitars I have played. their pickups are not really hot, they are more vintage style, but they sound very nice. for Au I'd say that is good deal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Jimjambanx
Just found a used PRS McCarty for AU$1900, these any good?

it's a great guitar. slightly thicker body than most USA PRS guitars, slightly more of a headstock angle, typically lower output pups.

think of it as what ted mccarty would do to a custom 22. or think of it as a seriously evolved or hot rodded take on a vintage les paul build sheet. because that's essentially what it is.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
it's a great guitar. slightly thicker body than most USA PRS guitars, slightly more of a headstock angle, typically lower output pups.

think of it as what ted mccarty would do to a custom 22. or think of it as a seriously evolved or hot rodded take on a vintage les paul build sheet. because that's essentially what it is.

Is the body thicker? I have only played 2 or 3 of them and it was well over 10yrs ago. I almost bought one over my CE22, but the CE22 just felt amazing to play and it was about $1000 cheaper
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Is the body thicker? I have only played 2 or 3 of them and it was well over 10yrs ago. I almost bought one over my CE22, but the CE22 just felt amazing to play and it was about $1000 cheaper

they (PRS) add more les paul features to the model. i don't know the back story on it but i would wager it was input ted made to paul in the process of designing that model. possibly not, i'm not sure when ted passed and when the model was conceptualized.

yes, the bodies are thicker by 1/8 inch.

the actual headstock is slightly thinner as well as having a greater angle to the neck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Feb 14, 2016,
Quote by gregs1020
they (PRS) add more les paul features to the model. i don't know the back story on it but i would wager it was input ted made to paul in the process of designing that model. possibly not, i'm not sure when ted passed and when the model was conceptualized.

yes, the bodies are thicker by 1/8 inch.

the actual headstock is slightly thinner as well as having a greater angle to the neck.

Well I do know that when Paul brought Ted in he changed the heel of the neck to a larger one on all models, so I can see it happening
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate