Page 1 of 2
(this is gonna be a full on eastwinn thread (dread 2016) so buckle up)

so say you're listening to a nice happy song like 'this must be the place (naive melody)' by talking heads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1HQnJ2OtVw

(if you don't wanna listen to it that's fine, just bear with me)

ok this song is extremely positive, right? it's a love song, for one. i know a whole bunch of people who love this song as much as i do and they all agree that it's uplifting and what have you. here are the lyrics, see for yourself

Quote by this must be the place (naive melody)
home is where i want to be
pick me up and turn me round
i feel numb, born with a weak heart
i guess i must be having fun
the less we say about it the better
make it up as we go along
feet on the ground
head in the sky
it's ok i know nothing's wrong, nothing

oh i got plenty of time
oh you got light in your eyes
and you're standing here beside me
i love the passing of time
never for money
always for love
cover up and say goodnight, say goodnight

home, is where i want to be
but i guess i'm already there
i come home she lifted up her wings
guess that this must be the place
i can't tell one from the other
did i find you, or you find me?
there was a time, before we were born
if someone asks, this where i'll be, where i'll be

oh we drift in and out
oh sing into my mouth
out of all those kinds of people
you got a face with a view
i'm just an animal looking for a home
share the same space for a minute or two
and you love me till my heart stops
love me till i'm dead
eyes that light up, eyes look through you
cover up the blank spots
hit me on the head
ooh

"Taking the music from a simple instrumental vamp that he and his bandmates had cooked up during a jam session, Byrne strung together a series of short, loosely connected phrases in praise of domesticity." so says av club via genius.

right right but that's not really what i take away from it. lines like "i come home \ she lifted up her wings" and "there was a time, before we were born \ if someone asks, this where i'll be" remind me of the sort of 'maternal comfort' motif that i'm always coming back to. i hear more fear in it than anything else.

so i'm left with a very upbeat song that seems uncomfortably sad on another level. i end up feeling something complex in between and maybe that's why i listen to this song so much.

i often read people share similar sentiments -- that they like songs that are upbeat but have less-than-upbeat lyrics. you can share some examples if you like but i'm pretty sure it's real idiosyncratic so probably include a few words on that matter too. i'm just wondering what words you would use to describe this feeling.
the smiths
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

music is the best at giving you really conflicting emotions. The Antlers' Hospice is great at that, because it sounds like a sweet indie album but the lyrics are genuinely unsettling
Is it odd that music doesn't make me feel things? Like sure I can relate to a song or maybe it brings back a memory, but I never see it as much else than something I like hearing.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
i'm eating

but i'm losing

losing weight

again again

Quote by Fat Lard
was gonna dictionary of obscure sorrows it, but started feeling liberosis

tbh i hate that site

Quote by Joshua Garcia
Is it odd that music doesn't make me feel things? Like sure I can relate to a song or maybe it brings back a memory, but I never see it as much else than something I like hearing.

yes that is odd
I get this all the time
Such a sweet beautiful song
but then it reminds me of things that feed my insecurities through memories and then it makes me sad
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
i like to find the songs that are like that but aren't obvious
like everyone knows the smiths is super depressing and everything

but like this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wrsZog8qXg

idk what words i'd use. it's like a happy lie that you tell yourself because the frame it with reality is too much sort of thing
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
You know I'm a dreamer?
But my heart's of gold.
I had to run away high
So I wouldn't come home low

Just when things went right
doesn't mean they were always wrong

Just one more night
and I'm comin' off this long and winding road
Quote by whywefight
music is the best at giving you really conflicting emotions. The Antlers' Hospice is great at that, because it sounds like a sweet indie album but the lyrics are genuinely unsettling

its the best album i never want to listen to again

also passion pit is the fucking best at happy pop jams with terribly depressing lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6NqCRYy68s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFRUwL1rb6M
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
this song makes me feel nostalgic & wistful; I listened to it almost everyday for years w my sad boy friends

I think yr description is very good. the paradox between the accompaniment and vocals is what makes me enjoy most of the 80s music I listen(ed) to
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I know I post them a lot, but seriously, there's about ten Front Bottoms song that give me that feeling
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Will post something later. After work.

Big fan of upbeat music with downer lyrics.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by vintage x metal
this song makes me feel nostalgic & wistful; I listened to it almost everyday for years w my sad boy friends

I think yr description is very good. the paradox between the accompaniment and vocals is what makes me enjoy most of the 80s music I listen(ed) to
Wistful is the word imo.

idk I get that a lot from bands like Rachels but also from a lot of Joanna Newsom's longer tracks
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
ye i get it with a few songs

this one for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd9TlGDZGkI

why it happens i dont know but i have three possible explanations

1 some quasi-psychoanalitic thing where the song makes you feel sad for your own reasons but the content falls well within the realm which should make you feel happy from a moral and social standpoint, so your ego tries desperately to solve this internal conflict which manifests in your thoughts as the feeling you're experiencing

2 some žižek (maybe lacan) thing where the feeling of inexplicable depth is ideology itself. not in the popular sense that the song is telling you to agitate revolution, just that its content in some way touches the very point at which your mind gives the world meaning

3 it's a sad and happy song at the same time

i didnt really listen to it or read the lyrics tbh, i just like playing around with the idea. i know next to nothing about psychoanalysis or lacan so dont take this post too seriously

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
^ that is a song that does it for me, I can't believe I couldn't remember it
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Someone mentioned Passion Pit, but not Take a Walk?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZX6Q-Bj_xg

That's the most recent song I can relate to.

I'm drawn to songs like that as well, not entirely sure why. I want to say that it's because of the emotional complexity of the instrumentation coupled with the lyrics -- sure sometimes straight up sad songs are necessary, but throughout most of my day and my life I find myself a mix of emotions. Some things off in the future concern or worry me, something right now saddens, some possibilities excite me, etc; songs like this are almost an attempt at recreating that emotional palette that colors our complex humanity
My God, it's full of stars!
Makes me think of ruthless 80s wall street stockbroker guys.
And also when Charlie Sheen still seemed normal.
And everyone didn't think Shia Laboof was a giant douche.

This song was in both Wall Street movies.
I really don't think this is as rare as you think. These are just off the top of my head:

Breakup songs
B. B. King - Never Make Your Move Too Soon
Coyote Theory - Vibe
Fall Out Boy - Thnks fr the Mmrs
Fall Out Boy - Sugar, We're Goin' Down
John Legend - Used to Love U
John Mayer - Can't Take That Plane
Justin Bieber - Sorry
MisterWives - Reflections
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Empty Arms
Stevie Ray Vaughan - I'm Cryin' (the interesting part about this is that this instrumental arrangement is used twice for different songs: one to profess his love for his partner, and the other is about how the same woman cheated on him and stole his things)

(like, most blues songs, really)

Others
Brand New - Jaws Theme Swimming (I think you're familiar with this)
Foster the People - Pumped Up Kicks (a song about the effects of bullying)
The Foundations - Build Me Up Buttercup (I'm sure you're familiar with this too, but just in case, it's about unrequited love)
fun. - Some Nights (It's a song about anxiety [the feeling, not the mental disorder])
John Mayer - Stop This Train (a song about the fear of coming of age)
Outkast - Hey Ya! (probably familiar with this, but it's about bad luck in relationships)

I didn't link some songs because I'm sure you've heard those before either by general popularity of the song or you've mentioned familiarity with the artist/song/whatever.
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at Feb 14, 2016,
Quote by Joshua Garcia

no this is what i do as well
Quote by whywefight at #33834532
btw misterwives is still rad, especially Reflections

thanks for showing me them moneydolla

Did I guess right? If so, whoa.
Free Ali
huh I always thought I was weird for feeling this way about songs without lyrics

typically if I can dance to something it'll make me happier than something I can't dance to, but then there are EDM songs without any lyrics that I can dance to easily and they still make me feel wistful if not outright sad without any prior negative associations and I don't think they were intended to be sad......or were they?
cat
Quote by chrismendiola at #33834530

Outkast - Hey Ya! (probably familiar with this, but it's about bad luck in relationships)

fun. - Some Nights (It's a song about anxiety [the feeling, not the mental disorder])
I don't know why, but I have an intense hatred for this band
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
guitarxo: i have definitely felt this way about music w/o lyrics before, but i can't think of any examples.

Quote by chrismendiola
I really don't think this is as rare as you think. These are just off the top of my head:

Breakup songs
B. B. King - Never Make Your Move Too Soon
Coyote Theory - Vibe
John Legend - Used to Love U
John Mayer - Can't Take That Plane
Justin Bieber - Sorry
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Empty Arms
Stevie Ray Vaughan - I'm Cryin' (the interesting part about this is that this instrumental arrangement is used twice for different songs: one to profess his love for his partner, and the other is about how the same woman cheated on him and stole his things)

(like, most blues songs, really)

Others
The Foundations - Build Me Up Buttercup (I'm sure you're familiar with this too, but just in case, it's about unrequited love)
John Mayer - Stop This Train (a song about the fear of coming of age)

I didn't link some songs because I'm sure you've heard those before either by general popularity of the song or you've mentioned familiarity with the artist/song/whatever.

man you were spot on with the links except for 'some nights' (haven't heard that). 'hey ya!' is a good shout, that's a big one. another big one i thought of was 'no rain' by blind melon. i think that one is pretty universal but it made me realize that the untimely death of the vocalist affects the way it makes me feel.

it's essentially the same way with alice in chains tho i rarely discuss them here.

alright hold tight while i link up the ultimate conflicting feelings jam

really a shame m.m. are so hit and miss cause when they're a hit they're a real hit
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Eastwinn
it's essentially the same way with alice in chains tho i rarely discuss them here.

like i just recently reblogged this image on tumblr and it makes me feel a lot of things

& some of it is cause he reminds me of one of my brothers but ye

you know there are some pit people who follow me on tumblr but i seriously don't know who they are anymore
Page 1 of 2