Hey guys, first post on the forum. I just started playing guitar a little over a year ago and I've gotten really into it. I understand a lot about the instruments themselves, but I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to amps and how they work. I've been practicing and learning through my dad's old bass amp, which he gave to me along with a bunch of old pedals (distortion, tube screamer, chorus, wah wah, other basic stuff). For the most part, I like the setup, I personally think it sounds good, but the big problem is portability. It's a big stack, so playing with friends is hard to do if we're at their houses. I just played my first live performance last night and my friends and I are starting up a band, so I think it's about time for me to go out and pick up a new amp.

As for what I'm looking for, I'm hoping to find a combo amp for under 1k, that can do good cleans as well as crunchier dirty tones. I play a lot of pop punk/punk/emo/midwestern emo as well as dabbling a bit in jazz, so I'm hoping for something that's pretty well rounded. I want to be able to play clean riffs and also play harder rhythms. Also, I'm hoping that it is something I can not only play live with, but record with, too.

Any recommendations as to what to try next time I hit up my local music store would be much appreciated. Also, I'm not opposed to buying used, so if there's an amp that sells for 1200 new and 900 on the used market, please mention that, too!
A Marshall DSL-40C might be what you are looking for. It should be able to cover all of the styles you are looking for, especially given that you already have a TS, the sky is the limit. The beauty with that one is that even brand new, you are a couple hundred dollars under budget. If you get a used one, then you are even more under your budget. That'll free up some money for things that, in my opinion, every guitarist in a working band should have. You may or may not already have these, but they all make life a lot easier for gigging: strap locks, guitar stand, pedal tuner, pedal board (pedaltrain makes nice ones), and a mic stand pick holder if you have easy access to a mic stand. Playing in your first band is a lot of fun, and with that set up you would be leaps and bounds more prepared than I was in my first band, haha.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
mesa rectoverb combo would be a good shot. or the mesa f-series, express series, or other models.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'm gonna second getting a mesa. For 1k, you can get a dual rectifier or an old Mark III depending on which tone you favor. Either will get you pretty much anything you want.
Yeah a mesa rectoverb 1x12 would suit you excellent. Also a Mesa Mark III 1x12 combo would be great.

here is a rectoverb combo for $850
www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Mesa-Boogie/Rectoverb-1X12-50W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp.gc

here is a Mark II 1x12 for $899
www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Mesa-Boogie/MARK-III-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-111444125.gc

also invest a few bucks and get a decent amp stand. It will make it much easier to hear yourself and reach the controls
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Carvin Nomad or Belair.

All tube.

Most are covered in a faux-tweed tolex (if you buy new, you have options there).

Used around $350 (Belair = 2x12 version). For example: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Carvin/Belair-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp.gc?country=us&currency=usd&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KEQiA6IC2BRDcjPrjm_istoUBEiQASrLz1viKEeNQjhyZ8HKPDcJ7-PhVcROose_PknTBgqIbiCAaAvvr8P8HAQ&kwid=productads-plaid^134292311322-sku^111567686@ADL4GC-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^66736785762

New about $599. 50W, EL84s. The Nomad is the same chassis with a single 12", slightly less expensive. Seriously loud, usable for any kind of giggling, miked or not. Gorgeous clean channel, "smooth" gain channel.

http://www.carvinaudio.com/products/belair

Basic, simple, relatively lightweight and compact.

Recommended: Find one with V30's. Also highly recommended: Hasserl Mods (google them) will transform the gain channel and more.
Amp stand is a good idea, a lot of people don't understand that the amp will sound better and clearer when it's aimed at your ears.

Quote by diabolical
Carvin v3

What's the general consensus about the V3? Is it a good amp, and what styles does it excel in? It's not terribly expensive, so I've been thinking about saving for one, or maybe the smaller version.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
Amp stand is a good idea, a lot of people don't understand that the amp will sound better and clearer when it's aimed at your ears.

What's the general consensus about the V3? Is it a good amp, and what styles does it excel in? It's not terribly expensive, so I've been thinking about saving for one, or maybe the smaller version.

The V3 is an OK amp, but nothing special at all. It doesn't excel at any one sound, it just does them all OK. Lots of amps I'd rather have

Personally I'm not a fan of Carvin amps that much. They are built nice for sure, but the ones I have owned or played had huge fizz issues that just won't go away.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Gotcha. I don't think they'd pop up in the used market here that often anyway, and it's kind of risky if I couldn't test it first.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I played the V3, it was great on cleans, great on crunch and serviceable on high gain, although it seemed a bit brittle, again depending on guitar. It would sound really full with mahogany guitars, aggressive for metal stuff with active pickups. Kinda seemed to be very close in sound to the Laney TT100 or some of the big H&K tube and Egnater high gain heads, more of a modern distortion sound.
The Vai amps are very good, they're probably more rounded in terms of tone. The Mk I Carvin Vai sig amp is pretty much a souped up JCM800, that can cover all the bases with OD in front. It has a very nice rounded off warmth that the V3 seems to lack, maybe a bit more "retro" sounding in that aspect. Haven't played the new Carvin Vai amps but I am sure there are plenty of online demos.