i play pretty much every style, one day i'll be playing classic rock in e standard and the next i'll be playing death metal in drop B, are there any strings out there that will be able to deal with both extremes and being re-tuned every day or so?

using two guitars isn't an option atm because i don't have two guitars that are actually playable and i don't have the space or money for a new one.

guitar scale length is 25:5 inch

thanks in advance!
I'd use something like 12-60.

I think Rotosound make a set in such a size.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
E standard to B is a huge variant, I don't think your going to find anything that will be useable from one extreme to the other.

12-60 sucks in E standard, not undoable but I wouldn't use them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Unfortunately I think that it's a little too much. In order to play death metal in drop B, you would need strings with a lot a tension (at least in the low strings), so they would probably break when tightened to return to standard E (even if they don't, it wouldn't be good for your guitar's neck). At the other end of the spectrum, strings that are nice in standard E wouldn't be more than wet noodles in drop B (and, again, I'm not sure the neck would like that).

If you really can't have two guitars, I would:

1) use a guitar with a fixed bridge, so that you can easily go from standard E to drop D (it's a small jump, involving only one string, so any gauge would do, just make sure the low E string is thick enough; I'd say 52 or more),

2) and use a pedal like Digitech's The Drop or Whammy DT to go from drop D to drop B without touching your guitar's tuning. That kind of pedal gives good results for moderate drops like that (-1.5 step).
Guitars: Music Man JP7 2009 (piezo) and JP6 2013, Fender Stratocaster US 1991
Last edited by Yuka66 at Feb 14, 2016,
^+1 forgot about that
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Yuka66
Unfortunately I think that it's a little too much. In order to play death metal in drop B, you would need strings with a lot a tension (at least in the low strings), so they would probably break when tightened to return to standard E (even if they don't, it wouldn't be good for your guitar's neck). At the other end of the spectrum, strings that are nice in standard E wouldn't be more than wet noodles in drop B (and, again, I'm not sure the neck would like that).

Neither the neck nor the strings will care. You could probably pretty comfortably go up to 15s or 16s in E standard if those sets existed without needing to fear for the structural integrity of the guitar at all, even on a Gibson.

The issues are the feel and the set up; anything that feels reasonable in E standard will, as you say, feel really loose in drop B, and anything that feels alright in B will be really tight in E. You won't be able to get used to either if you switch all the time. Likewise, whichever tuning you set the guitar up for, the setup will be off in the other. Last but not necessarily least, constantly retuning probably won't do any favours to the life of your strings.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Neither the neck nor the strings will care. You could probably pretty comfortably go up to 15s or 16s in E standard if those sets existed without needing to fear for the structural integrity of the guitar at all, even on a Gibson.

I'd be a little more cautious than that and avoid such a sweeping over-generalization. The OP didn't mention what kind of guitar (s)he has, and some guitar necks can actually get damaged in the long run by frequent large changes in string tension. The problem being more the *frequency* of the changes rather than the fact that they are large.

I'm not saying that it will happen. But it's a possibility that has to be taken into account.
Guitars: Music Man JP7 2009 (piezo) and JP6 2013, Fender Stratocaster US 1991
i decided that i'll probably end up using 10 to 60's as i tend to play lower tunings alot more but i'll put myself in d standard for when i need to play rockier stuff and just play two frets higher, probably cheating i know but it will work until i get a new guitar in a couple of months
Quote by miles janes
i play pretty much every style, one day i'll be playing classic rock in e standard and the next i'll be playing death metal in drop B, are there any strings out there that will be able to deal with both extremes and being re-tuned every day or so?

using two guitars isn't an option atm because i don't have two guitars that are actually playable and i don't have the space or money for a new one.

guitar scale length is 25:5 inch

thanks in advance!

sounds like you need more then one guitar
Last edited by ad_works at Feb 15, 2016,