I have a 1994 Fender FotoFlame Strat that has quite a few finish cracks in it (I've read that it is the nature of these, as for it's a picture of a flame top under the finish and not an actual flame top.) I was wondering if the more cracks it gets, if it would lose value if I refinish it, or should I just fill in the cracks?
1994 MIJ Fender FotoFlame Stratocaster
2013 Epiphone MKH-7 Les Paul Custom
2015 Legator Helio HSC-200 SE Prototype
2013 Squire Vintage Modified Jazz V
2010 Schecter Omen 8
Line 6 POD HD500
This work?

Sorry for Potato quality pictures (if this even works)

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)
2010 Schecter Omen 8
Line 6 POD HD500
Last edited by brycebomb1311 at Feb 14, 2016,
You have to upload the photos to something like imgur, you can't post them straight from your computer.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Feb 14, 2016,
Kevin, I'm not quite sure if I should listen to you.... But you don't give a shit anyway.... Thanks for the advice though.
2010 Schecter Omen 8
Line 6 POD HD500
Umm, OK? That has more to do with opinions and such, but take it as you will. Unless you were just joking, in which case

For real though, you can't post images straight from your computer like that, you have to use an image hosting site. Something like imgur.com or photobucket.com is what you would want to use.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Umm, OK? That has more to do with opinions and such, but take it as you will. Unless you were just joking, in which case

For real though, you can't post images straight from your computer like that, you have to use an image hosting site. Something like imgur.com or photobucket.com is what you would want to use.

It was regarding your Signature, brother but Just wondering, I updated the original comment that had the incorrect links with photobucket links. Did it work?
2010 Schecter Omen 8
Line 6 POD HD500
Quote by brycebomb1311
It was regarding your Signature, brother but Just wondering, I updated the original comment that had the incorrect links with photobucket links. Did it work?

Gotcha, I knew you were referring to my sig, just didn't know how serious your were taking it

As far as those cracks go, leaving them, repairing them, or a total refinish is up to you. I doubt any of those options would really have any effect on the value of the guitar, assuming the repair or refinish is done properly. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in as well.
Looks like the cracks are all the way down to the laminate photo. Honestly I'd seal them up to make sure the wood isn't damaged and keep rolling. That guy is clearly a player, and I don't see much point in trying to preserve the value, it already is covered in aftermarket parts.

Those Fotoflames are sweet, I had one in red like that but with a rosewood board, one of my biggest gear regrets was trading it away
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Looks like the cracks are all the way down to the laminate photo. Honestly I'd seal them up to make sure the wood isn't damaged and keep rolling. That guy is clearly a player, and I don't see much point in trying to preserve the value, it already is covered in aftermarket parts.

Those Fotoflames are sweet, I had one in red like that but with a rosewood board, one of my biggest gear regrets was trading it away

I absolutely love this thing. I traded a Gibson LPJ for it. Was a little concerned on if I got ripped off or not, until I played it. It plays like absolute butter, and I actually love the thick neck it has.

I do not plan to sell it or trade it (at least any time soon, for that matter), but if I were, what do you guys think would be a good selling/trading price point?
2010 Schecter Omen 8
Line 6 POD HD500
it would likely be a tough guitar to do a refinish on without ruining the fotoflame. it is literally a photo glued to the top of the guitar and then covered over with finish. stripping it for a refin would destroy the paper picture.
it may be impossible to repair without destroying it as monwobobbo says.

i can't speak to it's value, i've never looked into them.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
A MINTY fotoflame might fetch $5-600 to the right buyer, they have become very popular recently. I wouldn't expect much past $300 for that guitar. Refin is pretty much not an option as has been mentioned. Like I said - it's a player's guitar.
Mainly, I was wondering if it would lose any value that it currently has (if any, being a Fotoflame in this condition) if I did completely strip it (Foto picture and all) and repaint it.
2010 Schecter Omen 8
Line 6 POD HD500
Quote by brycebomb1311
Mainly, I was wondering if it would lose any value that it currently has (if any, being a Fotoflame in this condition) if I did completely strip it (Foto picture and all) and repaint it.

yes and no. it's not worth much in it's current state from what others are saying. (again, i've never researched).

so if your $300 guitar is worth $200-250 after a refinish, is that a big loss to you? i mean, it's a guitar you play. an instrument.

refinish it and consider it "maintenance".
I get what you're saying. So essentially, I DID get the short end of the stick trading my Gibson LPJ for it, value wise? Even though I prefer the way this feels and sounds (that LPJ can't touch this thing).
2010 Schecter Omen 8
Line 6 POD HD500
Quote by brycebomb1311
I get what you're saying. So essentially, I DID get the short end of the stick trading my Gibson LPJ for it, value wise? Even though I prefer the way this feels and sounds (that LPJ can't touch this thing).

I have no use for an LPJ, sorry. Whatever you got for your LPJ (up to and including a stick of gum) was an upgrade. My Personal Opinion, of course...
Quote by brycebomb1311
I get what you're saying. So essentially, I DID get the short end of the stick trading my Gibson LPJ for it, value wise?

maybe on paper.

every play a piece of paper?

really thin tone.
Quote by brycebomb1311

value wise yes (despite the hate for LPJs). if you prefer that guitar then perhaps the trade isn't totally terrible. those photo flame guitars have limited appeal and if you refin it then it's no longer a photo flame and yes it would lose a fair amount of value (considering the value derives from being a foto flame). if you plan on keeping the guitar well then no biggie if you hope to get back what you put into it not happening.
Yeah don't refinish it in hopes of increasing value. If you feel like doing it just to do it, sure. It will probably kill any profit margin of you want it done right, but if this is a guitar you want to keep then it may be worth it.

I
In the long run, I would definitely love to keep it. It is honestly the best guitar I've personally ever played. I can now see why MIJ strats are (or so I've read) in second place after USA strats. It does hurt that I've been trying to trade up and up and up (in value), but it does take away from the sting that I might just hang on to this one.
2010 Schecter Omen 8
Line 6 POD HD500
Yeah the LPJs are paperweights. The Strat is a much better guitar.