Hello,

I am planning on building a Gibson Explorer-shaped electric guitar with Seymour Duncan Distortion humbuckers.

My touches will be:
~Jackson-styled headstock
~Sharper edges on the body (just at the points)
~Kahler flat-mount tremolo bar
~Shark fin inlays
~Locking nut
~Elbow cut

I however am lost on how I should paint it. I want to make it unique, not just a couple of stripes. I am open to suggestion!

Regardless of paint, how do you guys think my touches will look?
Last edited by ItsPoshJosh at Feb 14, 2016,
sounds like the Jackson Kelly with some mods.

www.wudtone.com is what I'd use if the wood has a nice grain
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
sounds like the Jackson Kelly with some mods.

www.wudtone.com is what I'd use if the wood has a nice grain

I'm using swamp ash, if I get a phenomenal-looking grain on the body blank I'll stain it.
Last edited by ItsPoshJosh at Feb 14, 2016,
Quote by ItsPoshJosh
Hello,

I am planning on building a Gibson Explorer-shaped electric guitar with Seymour Duncan Distortion humbuckers.

My touches will be:
~Jackson-styled headstock
~Sharper edges on the body (just at the points)
~Kahler flat-mount tremolo bar
~Shark fin inlays
~Locking nut
~Elbow cut

I however am lost on how I should paint it. I want to make it unique, not just a couple of stripes. I am open to suggestion!

Regardless of paint, how do you guys think my touches will look?

No, go back! These things always turn out badly! This is my Singer Adjustment Tool for when I have a singer that wants to lean on me. *Poke*

I think an elbow cut is probably useless on these, but you can bevel the edges and maintain the 'sharp' look. This guitar was assembled from a used Warmoth neck and a much-modified Warmoth body snatched from eBay (so I didn't have a choice on the inlays).

If you're going for something really interesting graphically, you might consider doing the same kind of "wrap" that they're using on Lamborghinis these days. Transit vinyl is tough, cheap, and you can have *anything* printed on it. If you clear over it, it will stay for the life of the guitar, but if you don't, you can swap it out for another bright idea later on. Companies like axewrap.com and axewraps.com (there are lots more) will work with you to print up something that works with the shape of your guitar. Exotic wood grains, crazy graphics, even fake relicing. You'll want to start with a guitar that's got a good (and probably glossy) paint job of some kind. The wrap won't harm the paint, and in fact will protect it.
Quote by dspellman
No, go back! These things always turn out badly! This is my Singer Adjustment Tool for when I have a singer that wants to lean on me. *Poke*

I think an elbow cut is probably useless on these, but you can bevel the edges and maintain the 'sharp' look. This guitar was assembled from a used Warmoth neck and a much-modified Warmoth body snatched from eBay (so I didn't have a choice on the inlays).

If you're going for something really interesting graphically, you might consider doing the same kind of "wrap" that they're using on Lamborghinis these days. Transit vinyl is tough, cheap, and you can have *anything* printed on it. If you clear over it, it will stay for the life of the guitar, but if you don't, you can swap it out for another bright idea later on. Companies like axewrap.com and axewraps.com (there are lots more) will work with you to print up something that works with the shape of your guitar. Exotic wood grains, crazy graphics, even fake relicing. You'll want to start with a guitar that's got a good (and probably glossy) paint job of some kind. The wrap won't harm the paint, and in fact will protect it.

I don't like that heavily modified body, I want to keep the Gibson '58 sizing and shape and make the horns a subtle bit sharper. Thanks for the wrap advice! Anything else?

Oh, and I might not do the elbow cut. I like elbow cuts and no elbow cuts, I was just interested in the elbow cut because body blanks aren't generally as big as the Explorer body.
Last edited by ItsPoshJosh at Feb 15, 2016,
Quote by ItsPoshJosh
I don't like that heavily modified body, I want to keep the Gibson '58 sizing and shape and make the horns a subtle bit sharper. Thanks for the wrap advice! Anything else?.

No problem preferring the original shape/size. I honestly didn't have that option and probably wouldn't have gone that way if I had. I have an Explorer-ish guitar (fancy woods, neck-through):

And I have a couple of these (this one is from the late '80's):

Quote by dspellman
No problem preferring the original shape/size. I honestly didn't have that option and probably wouldn't have gone that way if I had. I have an Explorer-ish guitar (fancy woods, neck-through):

That's a nice orange guitar, thanks!
Quote by ItsPoshJosh
That's a nice orange guitar, thanks!

It's actually much more "wood-ie". Shot under warm lighting conditions.