They are fine with typical guitar but if you have a SG or an ES 335 where the peg goes into the neck heel instead of the cutaway horn beware.

The strap locks are those kind that have the ball that you pull out to release them and a horseshoe that goes around the peg.

It puts stress on the horseshoe and it bends and it will lock or it will slip off. I think that's what was happening

I had my guitar on the other night, my expensive Gibson ES 339, the strap slipped off and I caught the guitar. It could've fallen to the floor , wouldn't that be nice? So I have it on again tonight in the same thing happens, catlike reflexes preventing disaster.

The first time I thought it was just one of those things but upon closer examination, after the second time, I found it was defective. It was bent, I put it back on and it was locked onto the peg, while pulling the ball up . I had to tap it pretty hard to get it off. Then when I put it back on so it wasn't like that it ,just slipped right off real easy,... Without pulling the ball to release.

I thought these types of strap locks were the best and totally foolproof. They probably are for most guitars but not for the kind that has the peg going into the neck heel, so big heads up on that.
I got straplocks on my cheap Epiphone Explorer. I also replaced the upper peg so it goes into the neck heel for balance reasons.

I figured that when you place the horseshoe on your strap you need to figure out how it will be stressed. On my explorer, I placed the horseshoe so that it is on the side facing forwards when you play.
Also the opening of the horseshoe is upwards so the straplock can't pull it's way out but always pulls the horseshoe down. Never had problems with it.
Maybe you try it like that. Hope I could help you.

If you did it like that, I think you should play around with the rotation of the locks on the strap.
What brand of straplocks are you using? If you cheap out on materials there's only so much you can expect; the Schallers I had on my Epiphone SG were completely fine after two and a half years, to the point that I'm still using them on my Telecaster.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Agreed. As I type there's a half dozen Gibsons up for auction on eBay with the headstocks completely broken off. Yeah.
Been using that style of straplock for years and never had any issues.

Are you sure you fitted them properly? Some pics illustrating the issue would be useful.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I gigged with those for years without a problem in both places. I only recently switched all my guitars to the oblong Planet Waves strap buttons.
You have got to be doing something wrong, those schallers are rock solid.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I have Schaller's on all my guitars including my Epiphone Sheraton that I have owned since the early 90's and haven't had that issue. I would warn that last year I bought a few sets of "Schaller" strap locks on Ebay at a "too good to be true" price, something like 5 sets for $25. I should have known better. They were listed as Schaller's and look exactly like Schaller's but come with no name stamped into them like the real thing. They are also not compatible with the real thing (the horseshoe type ridge is slightly thicker and the real Schaller buttons that you already have on your guitars won't fit into them plus the ball type end on them doesn't always lock into the hole and can slip out. Buyer beware. Not such a bargain.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Feb 15, 2016,
I'm just glad I caught it. I'm not rich and acquiring that guitar was not easy. It wasn't perfect either. The neck had a dead spot in the usual place in between the 10th and 13th fret . That's another story but it's right now. I would've been a little upset if it fell.
Last edited by yope at Feb 15, 2016,
Quote by Rickholly74
I have Schaller's on all my guitars including my Epiphone Sheraton that I have owned since the early 90's and haven't had that issue. I would warn that last year I bought a few sets of "Schaller" strap locks on Ebay at a "too good to be true" price, something like 5 sets for $25. I should have known better. They were listed as Schaller's and look exactly like Schaller's but come with no name stamped into them like the real thing. They are also not compatible with the real thing (the horseshoe type ridge is slightly thicker and the real Schaller buttons that you already have on your guitars won't fit into them plus the ball type end on them doesn't always lock into the hole and can slip out. Buyer beware. Not such a bargain.

yes , no name stamped into these
Quote by yope
yes , no name stamped into these

So you got counterfiets! Bummer. Where did you buy them? Real Schallers are like $16 CAD here and probably cheaper more so in the USA.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
So you got counterfiets! Bummer. Where did you buy them? Real Schallers are like $16 CAD here and probably cheaper more so in the USA.

I don't know. Most likely Sam ash, there's one down the street and I buy a lot of stuff there. It had to be a major outlet because I always purchase from them.

I don't know if they were marked as schaller. Are they patented? And only they can make them?

Now I'm wanting to take them all off my guitars and purchase the real thing.
Quote by yope
I don't know. Most likely Sam ash, there's one down the street and I buy a lot of stuff there. It had to be a major outlet because I always purchase from them.

I don't know if they were marked as schaller. Are they patented? And only they can make them?

Now I'm wanting to take them all off my guitars and purchase the real thing.

The ones I have are marked "Made in Germany Schaller US Pat DBP" on the horseshoe bit. Visible when they're attached to the strap.

I've seen unbranded copies, but can't vouch for their build quality. I can say that they were very cheap.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Yeah, cheap copies or fitted wrong me thinks.
If anything, they should work better on the neck heel as the load path would be better (sorry for getting engineery).
just buy those cheap plastic pieces that you put on and just twist. they work great if you can tighten them real good and never really slip
I'm a dirty fuckin' punk / i sell myself for a beer
i use schaller exclusively and haven't had a problem. strats, LP's, SG's, ibamez prestiges. haven't ever had problems.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yeah, be sure they are not knock offs , I used Schaller strap locks for years before switching to the Dunlop "StrapLok", I never had any issues with either brand

Of course if you want to be ultra safe and you are not partial to the paint on your guitar you could always use Eddie Van Halen's method available at any hardware store and cheap too!

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge