Hello ultimate guitar community ,
As the title says it all i am between buying a marshall 30 dfx or an ibanez tbx 30R i am not pretty sure which one i should buy ...
I am pretty aware of the great quality of amps that marshall produces but i was looking the internet and i saw IBANEZ TBX 30R
I mostly play metal ( metallica, system of a down , slipknot , slayer, avenged sevenfold ) but i also love playing some classic rock ( pink floyd , g n r , red hot chilli peppers , aerosmith )
So i am really intrested in an amp that has got a great distortion and a good clean channel
Any advice given would be nice
Thanks for your time !
That Marshall is an MG- Generally considered one of the worst amp lines relative to the name. Do not let just name recognition draw you in. Avoid the MG.

I do not know much about the Ibanez amp. From this demo it sounds okay but maybe a bit thin. However that is the most professional video I can find on that amp and that is not a good sign.

What is your max budget? I would think around $200 USD? I would suggest something from Peavey's Transtube line. I have played on some of their units and have always been pleasantly surprised. https://www.google.com/search?q=peavey+transtube&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

This one might be a good fit for you. 2x12 for some thump and resonance, should have plenty of gain, and has reverb built-in. You just might want some outboard effects like delay and wah.

Other users might be able to suggest something better. But at $200 you are not getting that much.
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 15, 2016,
Go used and for less than $100 you can get a Peavey Vypyr 30. Put a bit more money and you can score a Line 6 flextone II or III for <$200 and if your lucky a Line 6 Vetta 2x12 combo

The Marshall and the Ibanez are really crap amps, don't waist your money
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 15, 2016,
Quote by nion1232
Hello ultimate guitar community ,
As the title says it all i am between buying a marshall 30 dfx or an ibanez tbx 30R i am not pretty sure which one i should buy ...
I am pretty aware of the great quality of amps that marshall produces but i was looking the internet and i saw IBANEZ TBX 30R
I mostly play metal ( metallica, system of a down , slipknot , slayer, avenged sevenfold ) but i also love playing some classic rock ( pink floyd , g n r , red hot chilli peppers , aerosmith )
So i am really intrested in an amp that has got a great distortion and a good clean channel
Any advice given would be nice
Thanks for your time !

That's your first problem here, the Marshall MG isn't that good of an amp. It's got the name, so it sells.

Your budget of 200 dollars should be fine for something like a Vypr or if flashing lights aren't your thing, maybe a used Blackstar HT of some description? I'm in the UK so I have no idea of US prices. But 200 budget sould be a decent enough start, maybe some of the guys can help out here. But truthfully, if you can try them. Go right ahead. But it's generally regarded the MG has awful distortion and a meh clean channel. I've not used one for many years, so I can't remember how it sounds.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Thanks for all your advices guys it really made up my mind on what stuff to buy
Quote by nion1232
Thanks for all your advices guys it really made up my mind on what stuff to buy

and what is that?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
$5 says he got the marshall.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
$5 says he got the marshall.

He for sure got the Marshall
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Apparently the new MG is actually not total shit and an ok enough amp.
I would still use the money to get something better though.

My Vypyr was £70 from Crackhead Converters.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma

I tried one a couple of weeks ago to show my girlfriend the difference between SS and tube sound. They're just as bad as ever. I played one riff and she told me to turn it off.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
I tried one a couple of weeks ago to show my girlfriend the difference between SS and tube sound. They're just as bad as ever. I played one riff and she told me to turn it off.

My girlfriend does that and I have a decent amp
Quote by SpiderM
My girlfriend does that and I have a decent amp

Well thats not something I would be bragging about
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well thats not something I would be bragging about

It's only the internet, no one will read it
Quote by SpiderM
It's only the internet, no one will read it

This is a valid point
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Haha, Crackhead

Ah fair enough.

I tried explaining to my girlfriend the difference between solid state and tube, might aswell have been talking chinese, she is one of those "how do I turn on the electric guitar" types. It took her a while to comprehend that different amps and guitars can sound different.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Seeing Haha, Crackhead's username reminded me of a piece of advice a wise man once told me:

"You'd have to BE a crackhead to buy an MG."

Yup, they're that bad.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
I would still use the money to get something better though.

My Vypyr was £70 from Crackhead Converters.
Check out this video (sorry about the single channel). Most of the amps we have in stock at the store I work at are MG's. You can get reasonable bedroom tones out of them. But the same can be said for this Peavey Transtube my mom picked up for $20! And in every MG's price point, there is something better.
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 15, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
And in every MG's price point, there is something better.

There's the golden rule right there. They definitely work as beginner practice amps, but there's really no point in buying them when you can always get something better for the same or even a lower price.

Quote by KailM
Seeing Haha, Crackhead's username reminded me of a piece of advice a wise man once told me:

"You'd have to BE a crackhead to buy an MG."

Yup, they're that bad.

Got one when I was first learning the guitar at 15. Only amp I tried while I was there to get my first "real" guitar. Sounded great to me at the time because I was stepping up from a First Act amp from Wal-Mart. Had I tried literally any other amp in that store, I'd have probably realized that amps make more of a difference than guitars before it was too late. Yeah, this crackhead bought an MG.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Hahaha no i won't buy an mg marshall amp i was looking over a site with used amps ( i live in greece ) and i came across a peavey Bandit 112 for 100 euros ( which i believe 100 euros is 110 dollars i am not sure ) i searched and in other sites for a peavey amp but it;s really hard to find one here in Greece what are your thoughts on bandit 112 ?
Last edited by nion1232 at Feb 16, 2016,
it's not a bad little practice amp imo. if you like how it sounds go for it.

how much is a peavey vypyr 15 or 30 over there?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
vypyr 15 : 122 euro
vypyr 30 : 180 euro
but the thing is that ive found this amp in 1 store and they are not available atm for order