Hi guys,i was wondering what is the best pedal i could get to dial some metallica,pantera,Black sabbath....im playin on a esp lts ec1000 through a Peavey vypyr vip 1(will change it for a marshall or mesa soon) i was thinkin about a Metal Muff fron ehx

Feel free to suggest me some amp too!(and sorry for my bad english)
Catalinbread's Sabbra Cadabra ($169 new) will get you a long way to Black Sabbath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKtWcMdp3m4&sns=em
http://www.catalinbread.com/product/sabbra-cadabra/
http://proguitarshop.com/catalinbread-sabbra-cadabra.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeMFmkSo654&sns=em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nIjDLyUbY4&sns=em

(FWIW, a lot of Sabbath was played on guitars with P90s, not HBs or EMGs, so you might need to change some of your settings a bit.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 16, 2016,
If you are using a VIP 1, you don't really need a pedal. You can use the 6505, 6534 (my preference for metal), or XXX amp models. Pedals don't really translate well on modeling amps, so I think you would be wasting your money buying a pedal for a modeling amp.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Quote by Nolasludge
Pedals don't really translate well on modeling amps, so I think you would be wasting your money buying a pedal for a modeling amp.

That IS a good point.

But if/when a non-modeling amp enters the equation, the Empress Heavy is a nice option:
http://empresseffects.com/products/heavy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mO8CKGYpOo&sns=em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjVi38qIaVg&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Gotta agree with Nolasludge, you won't get the full effect of the pedal if you run it through a modeling amp. the pedal will be working against your on board amp models that installed with a computer. Not saying it won't work though, you may be doing a huge amount of tweeking on the pedal and amp. Keep saving your money and get a 30 to 60 watt tube amp if your playing at home.
If you're changing your amp soon, you don't want to be getting a pedal for your current amp (which probably doesn't need it anyway).

The money you spend on a pedal now is money you won't have to put towards your new amp, which with the right advice could get you all the way to the sound you want on it's own.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
As others said, don't buy any pedals for a Vypyr. It can do plenty of metal tones on its own that sound mighty fine for a solid-state amp. Chances are, any pedals you add to it (especially "metal" pedals) will make it sound much worse.

I had a Vypyr 30 for a while and those were my findings. I have a Boss HM-2 which normally works on any amp for getting an old-school gnarly Swedish death metal tone -- and it didn't work with the Vypyr. It just sounded like shit (in a bad way; when it's working correctly it sounds like shit in a good way).

Ultimately, I sold my Vypyr though because I already had a 6505+. I'm gonna go ahead and say it now -- modeling amps don't hold a candle to real tube amps. At least low to medium grade modeling amps.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Have you tried the software interface for the Vypyr? You should be able to coax decent to good metal tones out of it.

I don't think a distortion pedal is a good idea with the Vypyr.

For the Metallica thrash type of sounds go with the 6505+, GREEN Channel (Crunch enabled), gain around 7+, start with all EQ at 6. Put a tubescreamer in front of it if you want to (some sort of simple green pedal - don't know what that software calls it) gain at 0, level at 7+, tone at 5.

For another amp altogether, we need the typical thread stuff, budget, location, new/used, home/gig, other gear etc.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Last edited by metalmingee at Feb 16, 2016,
Yeah, adding a pedal to a Vypyr doesn't add up. It even has that functionality already included. Just turn the "inst/stomp" knob to "tsc" or "bst".
Just wait until you upgrade your amp before you buy a pedal. You may find that you might not even need a pedal w/a Mesa or tube Marshall, depending on which model you go with. If you need just a bit more grit (or tightness) than what the new amp alone can do, then consider throwing a Maxon OD808 or similar pedal in front for an extra push!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Heys thanks all of you guys for those fast and helpful answer. Ill stay with the vypyr for the moment! Ill continue to save up money to get a tube amp but what can be my best pick considering a budget of 1.5k i would prefer to buy new but if a great deal come in used range i could consider and i live in Montreal
Last edited by Nameless441 at Feb 16, 2016,
if you can gather $250, go for a peavey vypyr tube 60, it has power tubes and blows that vip away im sure. although i have no experience with the vip. those tube 60s always go used for around $250 on guitarcenter.com
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
if you can gather $250, go for a peavey vypyr tube 60, it has power tubes and blows that vip away im sure. although i have no experience with the vip. those tube 60s always go used for around $250 on guitarcenter.com

This is probably a lateral move. Save the $ and hook up the VIP Software. Go to the Peavey Forum for more help and settings.

For $1.5k Canadian? You should be in Used Mesa Dual Rec territory but will need a cabinet. A Rectoverb or Single Rec combo should work fine as well.

I found my Dual Rec Roadster for $1,100 USD and that was a steal of a price. Deals can be found if you look long enough.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Are you gigging or in a band? If you're just playing for fun, 60w may be overkill. You should be able to find lower-wattage but genre appropriate amps that will suit you fine for under $1000.

Yeah, 1.5k Canadian, you can get something really nice. I did a quick search, and if you can spring an extra $200, you can get a brand new 5150 III 50 watt head, and a used Marshall 2x12 cabinet. With that you can play in your room, or play in a band, and you would be set on an amp for a very long time. However, if the 1.5k is firm, there are other options, like a 6505, but I would probably go used. You can get the heavy tones of all the bands you listed with that, but the clean channel is mediocre. From what I've heard if you replace the V1, V2, and V6 preamp tubes with Tungsol 12AX7s the clean channel sounds a lot cleaner. You can also look at Peavey XXX or JSX used for a little more versatility with the clean channel. Other than those suggestions, you can always go to your local music store and play through every amp in your price range to find out what you like.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
With exception of the metal muff and a few others, most pedals with "Metal" in the name usually suck.

Being in Canada now is pretty well the worst time in history to ever be buying anything manufactured outside of Canada; unfortunately this means pretty well all amps. With the currency being so bad, everything's just skyrocketed to insane amounts. We're at 72 cents to the US at the moment, I guess that's a cent or two up from last time I checked.

With that being said, because the economy is so shitty, there's quite a lot of people selling their gear for prices cheaper than they would normally be comfortable with.
..I was watching my death.
With a vyper, nothing.
With another amp with a good clean channel, I find stacking a boss sd-1 into an mxr prime distortion works.
With the boss go drive a quarter up volume at 3 quarters tone to taste. The prime, distortion to taste. Usually 1/4 to 3/4 up tone to taste and volume at unity.
I can get anything metal wise from old school up to tight modern death metal, shrill black metal and heavy sludge and doom.
Costs about 80 for both pedals new. Used even cheaper.
Two of the best pedals for metal in my opinion are the Mesa Throttle Box w/ EQ and the MXR 5150 Overdrive. Both don't compress the sound so much to where you know that it's stomp box distortion rather than amp tone. The Throttle Box will give you more tweekability while the 5150 does an awesome job of giving you Eddie's signature tone with enough variation to make it unique to you. Xotic's SL Overdrive is another pedal that gives you amp tone out of a stomp box that has a huge bottom end and does not take up too much real estate on your pedalboard.
Since you mentioned Mesa, the Mesa V-Twin is even better, you'll have to look used.
Simply fantastic pedal, I think they discontinued it cause people were buying fewer amps after they released that

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mesa+v-twin+metal
Yeah your current amp should be able to get it. That's what's nice about modeling amps. I had a spider iv but i regret not getting the vyper. A much better practice amp. Especially in the metal side.
Heck, for how much some of these suggestions cost you could almost get one of the new randall ss amps for the price of a couple pedals.
They sound pretty good metal wise. Fairly cheap too. 300 for the rg1003h head. Find a cheap cab.
If you can save more the bugera amps are sweet. They have heads and combos. Their 6262 is their take on a peavey 6505.
A friend of mine has the 333xl and it's sweet. Has plenty of gain.