Hi, friends, I need your help...

First, I have to say, English isn't my native language, thus I will probably make many mistakes.

To be brief, for my 18th birthday and my exams, in June, my parents promised me an Ibanez Herman Li EGEN8, as they know that I'm in love with DragonForce (please don't beat me). What's more, when I saw it in real life, I was speechless.

However, I also want an EGEN18, the guitar of my dreams. I thought to buy it in one or two years, that's why I don't really want another guitar...

That's why I need your help, I hope you can help me to make a choice, I don't care about prices. If you were me, which one would you take ?

I hope you will help me, but above all, I hope I havn't made to many mistakes...
If you justify your choice, I don't know if I could understand, but I'll try.

Thanks in advance !
I'm not clear on something, here. Do you have another guitar that you'd be playing until you can afford the EGEN18? Or would you be finding a way to get the EGEN18 now, instead of the EGEN8?

The first thing you need to be aware of is that your guitar hero tastes will change, and often, over the next few years. The second is that signature guitars rarely have great resale value if you decide to go another direction at some point. The third thing I suggest is that you never buy a signature guitar simply because you're in love with the artist. I'll only buy a signature guitar if it's got something I would ordinarily want in a guitar.

For example, I have exactly one signature guitar that I would buy (if I could find one at the exact same time that I had the money for it): a Gibson Neal Schon Les Paul. While I certainly respect the guy as a guitar player, I'm not after doing everything he's done musically, nor do I care for his personal reputation. Instead, the guitar itself makes sense to me for what *I* do. It has a smooth, carved neck heel, a neck profile I like, a pickup combination I've used and like, a Floyd Rose (becoming a bit more common on Gibson LPs), a Fernandes Sustainer set up the way I like it, a passive sweepable mids cut on a push-pull, a Sustainer Intensity pot, and a control setup that's got a master volume within pinky-swell distance from the bridge/bridge pickup. No other LP has even remotely this combination of goodies. Thus, I'd buy that guitar whether it had his signature or someone else's.

In the case of the two EGENs, there are some minor touches (the little handgrip indentations, the scalloped 21-24 frets), that serve to *identify* it as a signature guitar, but the guitar itself has little to recommend it in terms of sound or playability that you can't get routinely else where.
So perhaps the question you need to ask yourself is whether it's your attachment to Herman Li as a fan is pushing you to spend the extra money or is the guitar actually enough better/different to warrant it.

Here's one more example. I own a couple of Line 6 Variax JTV-89F guitars. The JTV-89F is the only one of the Line 6 guitars to come with a Floyd. It's also the only 24-fret guitar, the only one with hotter pickups, the only one with jumbo frets and a 16" radius fretboard and the particular combination of controls that it has. But there's a Korean version and an American version. The American version adds hipshot tuners, a hard case ($300 value), an extra battery and a few available colors beyond the two that are offered in the Koreans. It's three times the price ($1200 vs $3600), and it offers nothing else better in either playability or sound. Everything else is identical. I can afford either one. I was able to try both before I bought. I went with the Korean version and bought two of them. I have two cases on order from the same company that makes them for the American version. And since the batteries are standard video camera batteries available anywhere, I have a stack of them.

Worth noting: The EGEN18 is, unless you have one in hand, a special order item most places. It's very likely that, in a year or two, it will no longer be available new. If it's really what you want and you can afford it, buy now. I never got that Neal Schon sig guitar -- Gibson says they produced just 35 of them, and they refuse to produce another at any price. They were literally sold out in seconds, at an MSRP of $10K and a street price of $6500. It's almost impossible to pry one out of a current owner's hands (and one guy in San Francisco has two of them!). Neal has moved on to PRS and has a signature guitar there that's similar (ish), but I've already recreated the guitar using a different brand, and honestly, it's better than the Gibson version.
If prices are irrelevant like you said, I would obviously go for the EGEN18 as it has better parts and is made in Japan so it will be built better. I would also never get another guitar with an Edge 3 bridge that the EGEN8 has.
Quote by jackjb94
If prices are irrelevant like you said, I would obviously go for the EGEN18 as it has better parts and is made in Japan so it will be built better. I would also never get another guitar with an Edge 3 bridge that the EGEN8 has.

I have an Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos with the EdgeIII I'm not a fan and I hate that crappy cosmo black finish, I plan to order an Edge Pro to replace it, factory direct from Ibanez the Edge Pro is just over $300, I hate to pay that but I will if a can't find a used one on ebay because I want to keep Ibanez gear on it.

Back on subject I agree I would go for the EGEN18 if someone else is picking up the tab an money is not an issue, although I typically stay away from signature guitars unless they happen to have all the features that I want. Signatures typically cost way more and resell for way less unless you get lucky and find a fan who is willing to pay up.

But if your parents are willing to pay up and that is your dream guitar then go for it, and ask them if they want to adopt me!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by jackjb94
If prices are irrelevant like you said, I would obviously go for the EGEN18 as it has better parts and is made in Japan so it will be built better.

This is not a given. Korean work is capable of matching anything in the world at this point.
There was a point in the late '60's where Japanese guitars were reviled as cheap junk. This reputation stayed with Japanese guitars even as they began a run of extremely high quality work that made US-built guitars look like crap. Even when Yamaha and Ibanez and others were cranking out some of what we NOW know to be perhaps the highest quality production guitars on the planet, many potential buyers were shying away from them because the reputation from a decade before had carried over in their minds.

Some of the Asian (non-Japanese asian) plants are among the most modern in the world, and the people working in them some of the most skilled. Production guitar building is task-oriented, with some folks doing the same thing over and over and over. Meticulous attention and repeatability are key, as is strict quality control.

Some of the Korean guitars at NAMM this year were done as well or better than custom handwork available anywhere. It's time for a "reset" of the "where does quality come from?" thinking.
Honestly, id just take one of the S series ibanez's. Just find one with similar specs as the EGEN18, since the only differenec between the S series and the EGEN guitars is the handgrip thing.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by dspellman
This is not a given. Korean work is capable of matching anything in the world at this point.
There was a point in the late '60's where Japanese guitars were reviled as cheap junk. This reputation stayed with Japanese guitars even as they began a run of extremely high quality work that made US-built guitars look like crap. Even when Yamaha and Ibanez and others were cranking out some of what we NOW know to be perhaps the highest quality production guitars on the planet, many potential buyers were shying away from them because the reputation from a decade before had carried over in their minds.

Some of the Asian (non-Japanese asian) plants are among the most modern in the world, and the people working in them some of the most skilled. Production guitar building is task-oriented, with some folks doing the same thing over and over and over. Meticulous attention and repeatability are key, as is strict quality control.

Some of the Korean guitars at NAMM this year were done as well or better than custom handwork available anywhere. It's time for a "reset" of the "where does quality come from?" thinking.

I agree I have 5 MIJ Jacksons spanning from (# to 2010 and one 1989 MIJ Charvel and I can remember in the lates 80s early 90's when everyone said they were junk, their opinions based on the reputation of the 60s/70s Teisco instruments. Now the MIJ label is something that is sought after.

People get too caught up in the country of origin I have 2 MIK guitars that are on par with my MIJ Charvel/Jacksons for sure as well a Neck Thru B.C. Rich that is Chinese and an Indonesian Ibanez that compare easily to my Japanese imports.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge