Hello all, Im Having Major problems trying to acheive different sound styles with my amps/pedals.
I usually learn all my songs unplugged on an acoustic with electric strings on then take it to one of my amps to try and get the sound i need for the song but i cant seem to get the sound at all.
Ive got decent amps for what i play ( Marshall 100w Valvestate, Fender 212 and a vox ac30 ) And the pedals i use are a boss me-25 multi , Graphic equaliser, compressor/sustainer/Ultra metal ( although i barely use these at all)
Any tips for trying to acheive different tones, Say from ACDC,Kings of leon, Metallica, Bluesy hard rock to rock in general with a bit of muse like stuff thrown in??
Quote by Tomrovbart
Hello all, Im Having Major problems trying to acheive different sound styles with my amps/pedals.
I usually learn all my songs unplugged on an acoustic with electric strings on then take it to one of my amps to try and get the sound i need for the song but i cant seem to get the sound at all.
Ive got decent amps for what i play ( Marshall 100w Valvestate, Fender 212 and a vox ac30 ) And the pedals i use are a boss me-25 multi , Graphic equaliser, compressor/sustainer/Ultra metal ( although i barely use these at all)
Any tips for trying to acheive different tones, Say from ACDC,Kings of leon, Metallica, Bluesy hard rock to rock in general with a bit of muse like stuff thrown in??

Man.... Kings of Leon to Metallica is a huge jump. Thats damn near two opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of tone...
Jackson Pro King V
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by pantallica87
Man.... Kings of Leon to Metallica is a huge jump. Thats damn near two opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of tone...

Yeah i play a wide variety of things, The marshall isnt too bad in terms of getting near ish to the heavier sound of the spectrum , my main problem is setting the damn things up.
i just got the 4 pedals and i have no idea how to fine tune the settings on them and for that to coincide with the amps settings
which fender model and which ac30 model do you have?

EDIT: Wait did I read that you're plugging an acoustic guitar into your amps? That might be the source of the problem if you're going tafter tones produced on an electric guitar...
Quote by flexiblemile
which fender model and which ac30 model do you have?

EDIT: Wait did I read that you're plugging an acoustic guitar into your amps? That might be the source of the problem if you're going tafter tones produced on an electric guitar...

Its a telecaster modern player with the three pickups, and im not sure what model the ac30 is , i dont plug the acoustic in i just learn the songs on it then ill take to one of my electrics ( usually my epiphone sg or my es 335 copy) p.s. the acoustic is a resonator with a proper metal covered pickup if that makes any difference?
I would imagine the ME-25 has something that will work for the 'Tallica sound. Try it in front of the Marshall with an overdrive setting (not distortion) on the ME-25, use the overdrive 2 channel of the amp, gain maybe 1/2 way up? Keep the drive low on the pedal and crank the volume or output. See what that does?
Does the Valvestate have the tubes in the pre or power section of the amp? Or am I totally off base, here?

The AC30 with an overdrive on the ME-25 may work for this, too. It may not be as "heavy" as you want, but mess with the EQ pedal a bit, too.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
sounds like you need to take some time and learn your gear. getting various tones isn't a plug n play situation and you want a pretty big variety of tones as well. first i'd suggest learning stuff like metallica in electric as that will work much better for you.
First you need to identify the tone your after in one of three general categories; clean, crunch, or overdriven. That will make things a bit easier. Generally Fenders are pretty decent at clean tones, Vox's are pretty good at crunch sounds (like Rolling Stones or The Who), and Marshalls are great for overdriven tones. That gives you a good foundation starting point.

I'd advise you try and get as close to the tone you're looking for using just the amp's drive, volume, and eq tone controls. From there you can refine the tone a bit more with and EQ pedal if necessary (it isn't always the case), then if you need the sound to be a bit more even or mashed together use a compressor. Between those two you should have a good basic sound and you can add other elements such as chorus, reverb, delay, or phaser to enhance the overall sound of the tone.

The key to effects is to be judicious in their use. As someone mentioned earlier you need to get a handle on what each category of effect does and how it's parameters effect the sound. Not every tone needs a lot of effects. As long as you start with a good basic amp tone you can judiciously add effects if, and only if, they're needed.