There's one venue my band plays a couple of times each year, and every time we play there I have a serious issue with buzzing whenever I have a drive pedal switched on, even more so when I have a couple stacked. I've never experienced it anywhere else, so I'm guessing the place has poor quality wiring which is causing the problem.

My kit is all in my sig, but for those who hide sigs:
  • Guitar - usually a Gibson SG Standard
  • Pedalboard (Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive)
  • Laney VC30
  • Zoom G3 & TC Spark in the effects loop.

The EHX Worm has it's own power supply unit. The Zoom G3 is powered by a Boss PSA240, and all the other pedals are run from an Artec Power Brick which is also fed by a PSA240. I use decent quality extension cables with surge protection & circuit breakers etc.

All I've come up with is either upgrading the Artec Power Brick or getting a noise gate, but as the Artec works fine for me everywhere else it seems a bit extreme and as the buzzing is quite loud I'm not convinced a noise gate wouldn't adversely affect my overall tone if I set it to have any effect.

I guess another part of the issue is that my current kit is as close to silent as you can get everywhere else we play, so anything I do can't be put to the test until we play there again at the end of April.

Any ideas/suggestions or similar experiences?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I have a dirty little secret for nasty venues (flatbed trailers with diesel generators, etc.):

I have a big UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) that works off a car-size lead acid battery. It was designed for finicky server rooms. It provides a prissy-clean output at an absolutely constant voltage. No hum, no whir, nothing. It's almost as if I were actually taking power direct from the battery via inverter, while the wall voltage serves to do nothing but charge the battery, and the two were somehow isolated from the other.

Simple multi-outlet "surge protectors" won't do anything for you.

You might look into one of the Furman or Carvin rack-mount power units as well. The Carvin AC-120s, for example, has a display that tells me what the *actual* voltage is on the main line at any given time, and that was the eye-opener that made me get the UPS for the sketchier venues. The AC-120s touts:

PURE POWER DUAL TRAP EMI/RFI AC LINE FILTER
The pure power AC120S EMI/RFI filters out all stray AC noise. This dual stage filter traps all the EM/RF noise on the AC line, if not in the first stage, then in the second stage - providing pure noise-free AC for all 10 outlets.

This is in addition to voltage spike/surge traps.

When you work in bars that have ice machines and neon signs on the same circuits you plug into, you have tons of AC noise. My setup is overkill, but quiet. And it's hysterical when a breaker goes out and I'm the only one in the band still making noise.
Guess I should have mentioned, I'm in the UK - all the results I just found for the Furman & Carvin stuff are US based. I don't have any other rack mount kit though, so that wouldn't be the most convenient option.

I'm curious about your UPS - all the ones I just found were for PCs etc & only lasted 15-30ish minutes. The next step up seemed to be a petrol powered generator! Is something like you described easily available in the UK for a reasonable price? It's definitely more extreme than I'm looking for, but I can see it may have its uses in the future.

Any other ideas from anyone?
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by gurg06
Furman power conditioners are available everywhere. Thomann have them. just put in on top of your amp or whatever! Then just get a few of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-cable-IEC-plug-socket/dp/B005FWRHNQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1455651292&sr=8-4&keywords=uk+plug+to+iec

Odd - google normally finds stuff on Thomann. Starting to find them now I've gone directly there rather than googling for results.

Still a bit pricey for my needs though, budget isn't really an issue but I also don't want to spend too much money on something I'm not 100% sure about.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington

I'm curious about your UPS - all the ones I just found were for PCs etc & only lasted 15-30ish minutes. The next step up seemed to be a petrol powered generator! Is something like you described easily available in the UK for a reasonable price? It's definitely more extreme than I'm looking for, but I can see it may have its uses in the future.

That's if the AC power gets cut. It still provides clean power indefinitely as long as it's plugged into the wall.
Quote by jaymz9350
That's if the AC power gets cut. It still provides clean power indefinitely as long as it's plugged into the wall.

Thanks, seems I did find the right thing then. Never looked into this sort of thing before, but having looked at a few of them they seem like a good affordable solution bearing that in mind
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud