Beyonce Steals Footage from Bounce/Sissy Rap Documentary for "Formation" Video

Page 1 of 4
also just wanted an excuse to plug this to people who are interested bc it's a great documentary

https://vimeo.com/58423297

(if curious about the controversy, beyonce's team stated that they had received granted permission, but the filmmakers say otherwise and were surprised to see the shots in the music video. big freedia, an icon in the sissy rap genre, is featured on the track.)
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

She doesn't write her own songs, she isn't involved with development of music videos, she probably has someone driver her around in her own cars.

She was probably oblivious to it because she shows up, learns the moves and lyrics, and collects a paycheck in addition to the undeserved recognition.

Fuck Beyonce.

EDIT: Kanye's new record sucks, too. He doesn't know the difference between lyrics and a blog post.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by Rossenrot at #33837747
Remember when she lauded the Black Panthers at the Super Bowl

I don't know what Panthers she was watching, because they didn't deserve any lauding for how badly they played.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by JustRooster at #33837737
She doesn't write her own songs, she isn't involved with development of music videos, she probably has someone driver her around in her own cars.

She was probably oblivious to it because she shows up, learns the moves and lyrics, and collects a paycheck in addition to the undeserved recognition.

Fuck Beyonce.
yes this is how certain artists "work" nowadays, they are just personable brands

all the stuff is done behind the scenes and most of the time without their acknowledgement
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by JustRooster

Fuck Beyonce.

fuck a capitalist music industry tbh

beyonce steals a bunch of shit (as do all mass media artists) but she generally deals with it better than most, and she has been working over the past few years to gain more control over her production (the surprise album she released over a year ago is one example, which was made after she fired her father as manager.) I don't have a problem with her as an artist or as a person (and I quite like this video - culturally it's much more interesting than most) but she is a great example of our class-ruled media production machine
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

A mega pop act stealing something from smaller artists?

No. Fucking. Way.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
lol all you dad rockers kill me every time

who actually gives a fuck if she doesn't write her own shit? she can still out-sing anyone in the game without breaking a sweat. only thing worse are the people on her ass about advocating violence against police by supporting blm at the super bowl (lmao x2)

Quote by vintage x metal at #33837793
fuck a capitalist music industry tbh

beyonce steals a bunch of shit (as do all mass media artists) but she generally deals with it better than most, and she has been working over the past few years to gain more control over her production (the surprise album she released over a year ago is one example, which was made after she fired her father as manager.) I don't have a problem with her as an artist or as a person (and I quite like this video - culturally it's much more interesting than most) but she is a great example of our class-ruled media production machine

Personally I lost a lot of respect for her when she sampled audio from the Challenger disaster in a love song, then when the families of the Challenger crew said publicly that it was inappropriate and trivializing the deaths of their loved ones, she didn't apologize, and basically defended it by saying "It's okay because I was making it as a tribute and it's not important that the people it was supposed to pay respects to found it offensive"
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by MinterMan22

who actually gives a fuck if she doesn't write her own shit? she can still out-sing anyone in the game without breaking a sweat. only thing worse are the people on her ass about advocating violence against police by supporting blm at the super bowl (lmao x2)
Mint for president.
she should steal something that's not extremely boring next time
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by MinterMan22

Perfect post.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
A mega pop act stealing something from smaller artists?

No. Fucking. Way.

Quote by MinterMan22

yep

I think people often forget that media criticism is practically never black and white. consider roland barthes' "the death of the author" - a person's work can be a representation of themselves, but it is also it's own thing, living its own life (separate from the author/performer) once conceived. you can like a person's work and not like their practices. you can like a person's practices and dislike their work. you can feel contradictory feelings.

what I, personally, find interesting is the amount of criticism different artists face based on who they are. beyonce is well-known among media artists for stealing work, but all mass media artists do, and there are many lawsuits and controversies surrounding countless popular musicians. however, if people dislike beyonce for other reasons (e.g. she is crude and hypersexual, how dare she call herself feminist, she is just trying to be white w her blond hair, why is she singing about hot sauce, etc.), they are more likely to criticize her than, let's say, the Red Hot Chili Peppers or David Bowie or whomever
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Last edited by vintage x metal at Feb 16, 2016,
Quote by WCPhils
she should steal something that's not extremely boring next time

you didn't like the documentary?? boy that's the shit you abstain from saying to my face so that I continue to think yr cool. I'm a complete sucker for dirty south music and the existence of sissy rap has made me a significantly happier person lol
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Does the original sound exactly the same? I think sampling's okay if its from a song that's at least 3 or so years old, and borrowing lines from rappers to perpetuate concepts in a meme format is pretty common

And if they change the sample a bit in an artistic way. Like when my man Vanilla Ice added the dun dun dun dududu dun *ch* in Under Pressure
Last edited by Fat Lard at Feb 16, 2016,
Quote by MinterMan22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWH_w9SrMk8
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by vintage x metal at #33837837
you didn't like the documentary?? boy that's the shit you abstain from saying to my face so that I continue to think yr cool. I'm a complete sucker for dirty south music and the existence of sissy rap has made me a significantly happier person lol

Didn't even click the link, and was just being an ass and calling her music boring

Seriously though, I don't really like her music that much, but I don't get the outrage surrounding her stealing something (I doubt she even knew tbh). Everyone knows that pop music just rips off other things all the time. Why get outraged over Beyonce when it's everywhere, ya know?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Feb 16, 2016,
Quote by vintage x metal
I think people often forget that media criticism is practically never black and white. consider roland barthes' "the death of the author" - a person's work can be a representation of themselves, but it is also it's own thing, living its own life (separate from the author/performer) once conceived. you can like a person's work and not like their practices. you can like a person's practices and dislike their work. you can feel contradictory feelings.

I've been thinking about this with regards to pop stars, who don personas almost cyclically and can actually form a coherent construct through both their albums and public personae, and how that affects our perceptions of their authenticity. People trust your image more if you stick by it for a few years, but changing a part of yourself (whether for better or worse) will usually result in backlash. We want our icons to be sustainable. Nicki can be vulgar, Beyonce cannot, etc. And because pop stars seem to do the Bowie thing every so often, and because 90s counter-culture deemed them all "sell-outs", we tend to assume plasticity and therefore pretense.

Which is fucked up, art is art is art, but I also find myself questioning the authenticity of a sentiment in pop music. Beyonce's status is fucking unmatched, so how far removed is she from the South's "low" culture? And when she makes a video like that, and ties her persona directly to the art, is the author actually dead? What does that mean for what she creates?
Quote by MinterMan22

who actually gives a fuck if she doesn't write her own shit?

Anyone with artistic credibility and integrity. Also, anyone who uses the phrase "dad rock" is kinda cringe, bud. The meme is dead, quit surfing /mu/.

A thousand jazz musicians have taken riffs from "So What," but none of them would ever put up a front that it's their original content.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/90438/Ryan-Tedder-discusses-rumours-Beyonce-takes-credit-for-songs-she-didn't-write
Last edited by JustRooster at Feb 16, 2016,
what has happened

you don't like sad boys. you're talking about artistic credibility and integrity. everything in the world is cringey to you

cheer up bud
Quote by JustRooster
Anyone with artistic credibility and integrity. Also, anyone who uses the phrase "dad rock" is kinda cringe, bud. The meme is dead, quit surfing /mu/.

Honestly.

Plus, by now Dad Rock is like Soundgarden, Foo Fighters and Spin Doctors. Not fucking DC and Zep.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by JustRooster

A thousand jazz musicians have taken riffs from "So What," but none of them would ever put up a front that it's their original content.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/90438/Ryan-Tedder-discusses-rumours-Beyonce-takes-credit-for-songs-she-didn't-write

shhh is ok bb
Quote by JustRooster
Anyone with artistic credibility and integrity.

amazing
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Honestly.

Plus, by now Dad Rock is like Soundgarden, Foo Fighters and Spin Doctors. Not fucking DC and Zep.

Quote by tateandlyle
what has happened

you don't like sad boys. you're talking about artistic credibility and integrity. everything in the world is cringey to you

cheer up bud

(Invalid img)
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
shhh is ok bb

Quote by K33nbl4d3
amazing

Say what you will, I just don't see a counter argument to knowing they don't honestly write their own material besides "I don't care, they can sing it well."

That's fine, but that makes them a cover musician. The term "artist" can hardly apply. They're a brand, and often times a brand they had little part in developing.

This shit gets me so fucking riled. People say "what do you think Beyonce was saying in this video?" when it was co-written by three other dudes and she was just used as a medium.

Original content in our culture in general is just not valued. I get the same way about useless sequels and cookie-cutter superhero movies.
You guys think too hard about dumb and pointless shit.

"Artistic integrity" has there ever been a more pretentious phrase?
Quote by seanlang01
You guys think too hard about dumb and pointless shit.

"Artistic integrity" has there ever been a more pretentious phrase?

You sound like a teenager. It's been important to professionals for centuries. However, in the last 40ish years it has no longer become marketable.

I just don't get how a site full of guitar players is so ready to defend lowest-common-denominator pop. It's like you guys never stopped reading pitchfork.
Quote by JustRooster
Say what you will, I just don't see a counter argument to knowing they don't honestly write their own material besides "I don't care, they can sing it well."

That's fine, but that makes them a cover musician. The term "artist" can hardly apply. They're a brand, and often times a brand they had little part in developing.

I'm really not interested in labeling things art and not-art. No one should be. That's the most elitist, boring activity ever. It's hardly even critique. Scratch that, it couldn't be further from it.

This shit gets me so fucking riled. People say "what do you think Beyonce was saying in this video?" when it was co-written by three other dudes and she was just used as a medium.

Original content in our culture in general is just not valued. I get the same way about useless sequels and cookie-cutter superhero movies.

And? Art's always been collaborative. There's no such thing as original content.

Also leave movies outta this pls I don't wanna fight ok?
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Feb 16, 2016,
Quote by JustRooster
I just don't get how a site full of guitar players is so ready to defend lowest-common-denominator pop. It's like you guys never stopped reading pitchfork.

This site has like 3 guitar players (2 of which are Joshua Garcia) and the rest are tumblrnerds and neck knights of the social justice table
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
There's no such thing as original content.

Think about what you said for a moment.
Quote by Fat Lard
Does the original sound exactly the same? I think sampling's okay if its from a song that's at least 3 or so years old, and borrowing lines from rappers to perpetuate concepts in a meme format is pretty common

And if they change the sample a bit in an artistic way. Like when my man Vanilla Ice added the dun dun dun dududu dun *ch* in Under Pressure

it's not a sample, it's visual video footage from the documentary

I write about sampling quite a bit. being inspired is sort of like stealing (and I say this as someone who produces quite a lot of original artistic work.) I vibe off of other people's aesthetics and sounds and movements that I'm inspired by - or anything, really (mountains, sunsets, cats, whatever.) I think there is something beautiful and new-jazz about sampling

for me, though, this has nothing to do with artistic integrity and everything to do with class politics. don't steal shit from the poor without crediting them - plain and simple.

Quote by WCPhils
Didn't even click the link, and was just being an ass and calling her music boring

Seriously though, I don't really like her music that much, but I don't get the outrage surrounding her stealing something (I doubt she even knew tbh). Everyone knows that pop music just rips off other things all the time. Why get outraged over Beyonce when it's everywhere, ya know?

it's not even her music you dummy

I don't think anyone is 'outraged' (even the filmmakers' tweets about it were rather mild and they were just like "same shit different day") about the authorship stuff - people are outraged about the black panther malcolm x bootyshaking shit (but people are often outraged by blackness lol.) however, I do think artists need to give credit where it is due, especially large artists showcasing the aesthetics built by lesser-known artists. the filmmaker's took down their comments and thanked beyonce after her press team cited the documentary and the shots stolen, even though they lied in the first place about having permission already. they were happy the shit they made was liked and circulated, they just wanted to get some credit for it, and it doesn't hurt beyonce's team in any way to do so

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I've been thinking about this with regards to pop stars, who don personas almost cyclically and can actually form a coherent construct through both their albums and public personae, and how that affects our perceptions of their authenticity. People trust your image more if you stick by it for a few years, but changing a part of yourself (whether for better or worse) will usually result in backlash. We want our icons to be sustainable. Nicki can be vulgar, Beyonce cannot, etc. And because pop stars seem to do the Bowie thing every so often, and because 90s counter-culture deemed them all "sell-outs", we tend to assume plasticity and therefore pretense.

Which is fucked up, art is art is art, but I also find myself questioning the authenticity of a sentiment in pop music. Beyonce's status is fucking unmatched, so how far removed is she from the South's "low" culture? And when she makes a video like that, and ties her persona directly to the art, is the author actually dead? What does that mean for what she creates?

celebrity and pop music are, in today's culture, synonymous, especially with audiovisual media access at everyone's fingertips. complicates what we consider personal performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBk22UhcJIo

Quote by tateandlyle
i meant it seriously tho. it feels as if there's been an abrupt change in you

are you talking to me or JustRooster?
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by JustRooster

I'm thinking... yeh originality is a mythologized and impossible requisite.
Vintage, Ali thinks nothing you've ever done is original, and sealang thinks you're pretentious if you created it in earnest. Thoughts? I guess you should just delete all your threads in S&L.
Quote by JustRooster

Everything borrows from something else. No-one creates in a vacuum.
Page 1 of 4