Basically, inspired by the fantastic brightness of the blue LED on my MXR Analog Chorus (honestly my favourite thing about the pedal) and the rather pathetic red one in my newly bought TS-808, I've been thinking about replacing the LEDs in my pedals with brighter ones matching the colours of their respective pedals, partly for the practicality of being able to tell what's on no matter how dark it is but mainly because I like pretty lights.

How easy is it to replace power LEDs, does it affect the operation of the pedal at all, and how cheaply could I get someone with actual soldering skills to do it?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I'd look for resistors limiting current on your pedal's dimmer LEDs.
Soldering's pretty easy to learn, I started out when I was 12 or 13, granted now that I look back on my first project it wasn't all that clean.
..I was watching my death.
Sure, but I'd rather not make my first "real life" attempts on pedals, since I imagine there's much more potential to mess things up seriously than on a guitar, when the worst you can do is need to drop a few quid on a new pot or switch.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
There's nothing to soldering. Just be easy. It doesn't take a glob. And on pedals it may literally take a touch.

HOWEVER!, it gets technical. Red LED's take a less voltage than blue ones do.
I think reds are 4 volts while blues are 7-9volts. Doesn't seem like much but it may not have the juice needed to light it up. You might have to lower a resistor. Just as easy, but make sure you swap the right one.

If you don't adjust the resistor the blue won't light and you'll think it's broken.

Go for it! Just read up on modding the LED's. They're just pedals. You can replace them.

BTW, I know my stuff. 12 years electronics tech.
Quote by RedLabelRecords
HOWEVER!, it gets technical. Red LED's take a less voltage than blue ones do.
I think reds are 4 volts while blues are 7-9volts. Doesn't seem like much but it may not have the juice needed to light it up. You might have to lower a resistor. Just as easy, but make sure you swap the right one.

If you don't adjust the resistor the blue won't light and you'll think it's broken.

That vaguely rings a bell from school physics back when...

Quote by RedLabelRecords
Go for it! Just read up on modding the LED's. They're just pedals. You can replace them.

While I'm still trying to expand my signal chain on limited funds, the cost of replacing a pedal is a lot more than I'd like to be spending
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Its easy to replace the LED's - I would recommend practicing De soldering / Soldering to a PCB board first

I would see if you have some old crappy CD player or electrical gadget laying around - take it apart and use that PCB as your test board.

LED's do need different resistors for different brightness - Diffused LED's aren't as bright as CLEAR LED's.

Diffused LED's can take a 550ohm resistor ( 1/4 watt ) while the Super Bright CLEAR ones take a 2.2K Ohm resistor - typically.

the trick is matching the type of LED with the type included in your pedal and possibly having to change the resistor as well.

TBH - it seems like a pretty big undertaking.
Fender HRD - LTD.
Epi Les Paul 100 series Lefty w/ SD HRD
Fender Mexi Tele - Lefty
Martin D45 lefty
BlueRidge BR- 160 - 12 Lefty
Ditto X2 Looper
Ibanez TS-9, FL 301('79)
MXR Carbon Copy, COMP
Fulltone OCD
EB VP Jr.