"Every guitarist has to have one" referring to a mixing console... "32 channel at least. 4 buss"

Um, Just curious. Do I need a console for anything in particular wither live, recording, or just in the bedroom?

As right now I go Guitar>Focusrite Scarlet 2i4>computer>2i4>stereo aux input on my amp>stereo 4x12 cab.

Is there a reason why this is a "must have"?

I mean is there anything in particular I'm missing in not having this console?
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Feb 16, 2016,
I need everything.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
A bus is useful for grouping together instruments, specifically drumkits. In a studio you don't really need it but it can cut down on time being able to easily change the level of all drums with one slider.
It's far more useful in a live situation where you don't have the time to tweak individual drums and just want an overall control.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Maybe he meant every sound man?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist

I feel like this is right. I'd say Cathbard is wrong, but I'm afraid of Australians and owls, so.... yeah
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by jthm_guitarist

+1
I run live sound and a 16ch mixer is absolutely fine. I play guitar also and for guitar I don't need anything but my guitar and amp.

While it is good to have ni8ce PA gear it is not a requirement. I do agree that any decent band that is actually acting professional should have a nice capable PA
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think he's just trying to sell you a mixer.

"Every Guitarist has to have one" is cock. You need a guitar, an amp and a lead.

The give away is in the name "Mixer". You only need a mixer if you have multiple sound sources that you want to mix. If you only have a guitar and amp you have nothing to mix it with so you don't need a mixer.

I have used my mixing console with just my guitar rig, and recently added a simple six channel (level & balance only) unit in the rack; but I do a lot of looping and like to spread the loops across a stereo sound stage. The full mixer was a pain as you are forever switching channels and settings. I am now developing a little gizmo box to make it simpler without using the console.

It is great to have your own PA but that doesn't make you a guitarist, that makes you a guitarist and sound man. They are handy for jamming along with your favourite tracks.

If using effects a mixer with multiple buses can be employed to control the depth of an effect relative to the original signal, add tone and colour to the effect etc. But it is all fiddling about. You are better getting an effect that sounds good on its own and has control over the level/dry signal bypass.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Quote by Outside Octaves

I mean is there anything in particular I'm missing in not having this console?

You're missing having to walk around the massive POS in a small room.
Quote by dspellman
You're missing having to walk around the massive POS in a small room.

This is as true as it gets!

I will say that i have a mixer at home and at rehearsal. Sure I think its a must have for me, but I didn't have them for years.

For home use I hook it up to my PC. this lets me mic my amp and also use a Boss DR Rhythm drum machine. Also allows me to run my PC thru the mixer and out to my studio monitor speakers. So if I want to jam to YouTube jam tracks its super easy and mixing the levels to play quietly is fairly easy. Plus it all works with my DAW, so ya its "needed" for me.

For rehearsal we use it simply to hear the kick drum trigger and vocals into a 2 speaker PA system.
i use a soundcraft 32in mixer and i love the thing. busses are handy for drums whether live or recordings are nice. its nice for vocals too if you have several vocalists (i do it at my church).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by CodeMonk
You don't need shit.
My first electric guitar I plugged into my home stereo.

Ditto.

My first combo was a converted reel to reel tape player.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
The only thing every guitarist HAS to have is a guitar.

That's it.

Remember, the electric guitar (and useful electricity for that matter) is a relatively recent invention. Guitar is much older...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Outside Octaves
Um, Just curious. Do I need a console for anything in particular wither live, recording, or just in the bedroom?

if you play live this would be useful. that is all.

i actually just have everyone plug into my rack interface and send signal out to the PA and monitors. so i don't see this 32 channel mixer as a total necessity.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Well let's count up what a rock band would normally use.
4 vocal
2 guitar
1 bass
2 keys
6 drums

That's 15, so a 16 channel will just cut it. That's assuming that the keyboards guy is sub-mixing his rig, which is common. You may have to get inventive with the drum mikes but you could do it ok.
And let's face it, how many drums are you gonna be miking up in most gigs really? Kick, snare and hi hat maybe? You can live with a 16 in most cases. 32 channel rigs take up so much bloody real estate. They're just too damn big for most pub/bar gigs.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well, not necessarily, you can get digital boards that handle more channels in less space.
24 ch mixer gives you enough for full band with maybe a little room to spare.
16 is probably good enough, I've gotten away with much less, 8 ch.