Sorry if this is double posted, I accidentally posted in the sticky thread.

I've "played" guitar for 35 years, I'm 42. Given all that time, I suck. Mainly because I just play chords based on shapes and don't really understand the fretboard, though I do read a little music.

I'd like to get back into it, but this time understand what the hell I'm doing. I don't have huge amounts of time given work, family etc. I'm trying to practice 20mins a night, getting back into basic reading of music. I also have a book Guitar Fretboard Workbook which I've tried to work through over the years, but never quite stuck with it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CO4CVN4?keywords=understanding%20the%20fretboar d&qid=1455721774&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I like all kinds of music, rock, jazz, country bluegrass etc. If you were going to spend your time doing one thing to understand the fretboard, what chords to play under a solo, soloing etc. what would you spend your time doing? Resources? I'm tempted to try to concentrate on Jazz, because it seems to me that if you can learn the "basics" of jazz guitar you could apply that to any genre. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance, Aaron
Same here I am 46 I played got my first guitar at 13 and started getting serious at around 20, I managed to acquire some really nice gear while living with my parents.

At 34 or 35, with my band disbanded, I sold 90% of my gear (at a substantial loss because eBay and CL weren't really around yet) I was married with children and it just had to be done to pay bills.

Needless to say this took the wind out of my sails and I didn't pick up a guitar for about 6 years. Once I was financially stable I got the itch again the came down with serious Gear Acquisition Syndrome or GAS. Now I have 14 really nice guitars most of them I bought used ($400 or less) but in great shape which saved tons of cash I have a Peavey 6505+ half stack and a MESA Roadster Dual Rec 2X12 combo.

Finding time to practice is tough. It took awhile to knock the rust off of my fingers and I have managed to remember the majority of what I had forgotten, but I found that through the internet (YouTube, tabs sites etc.) I can learn about anything I want for free
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Feb 17, 2016,