So, I recently purchased a Dean Markley CD30 amp which I truly love. The cleans are awesome (very similar to a Hot Rod Deluxe, which is what I was going for). The overdrive is also quite good, however, I find that it does get muddy and the low strings end up blending together more than I'd like. It also starts to kind of fizzle (if I'm explaining that correctly).

There is a very fine line between the tight articulate bass that I like and muddying up of the bass on OD. I'm able to dial in that articulate bass but the vast majority of sounds out of the OD are more muddled. Furthermore, I have a G&L S-500 which really seems to add additional bass, muddiness, and fizzle if I roll up the bass at all on the guitar. Essentially, I have to keep the bass on the amp and guitar turned quite low and nearly off to get more articulate bass on OD. It seems perfectly fine on the clean channel.

Play mostly blues, classic rock/rock (definitely not metal), and a bit of country. I like some crunch, but I want it more defined. As indicated, I'm looking for a tighter bass on OD but I want to keep the chimey high end.

The stock speaker in the amp is a Celestion Rocket 50. I've been doing some research and really like the sound clips of the Eminence Legend 1258. Any input on this? I want to keep those chimey cleans but I also want more of an articulate bass to my OD rather than muddy fizzle.

Thanks!
I do not know much about the amp except for what I just looked up about it, seems alright enough but maybe a bit lacking for $600 USD New (and discontinued it looks like). But the speaker I can tell you is definitely holding the amp back some.

I would suggest to get an American voiced speaker but depending on your use of the drive channel you might run into some voicing issues. It sounds like the clean is Fender voiced, but the drive is Marshall voiced. Which is pretty common for amps like that, for one I have a Valveking that is the same. Or maybe I am hearing it wrong, I can't find many professional demos on the CD30. Either way, a better speaker will probably help regardless of its voicing, just something to think about.

I wouldn't go cheap on the speaker replacement, move vertically in quality rather than horizontally. At $70 USD for the Eminence I would be wary. For reference the Rocket 50 is $55 USD. The first upgrade I think of is a Vintage 30 which is a common upgrade and not too expensive either, but others might be able to suggest something better.

Also are you using a bridge pickup for the higher-gain sounds? The low-cut in that position is often integral to keep high gain sounds from being muddy. For the clean/light breakup sounds using neck and middle positions, I would stick on just the clean channel and push it, rather than trying to get the OD channel to clean up.
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 17, 2016,
Thanks for the input - from what I've listened to, I tend to favor the american sounding speakers. I completely understand your point about jumping a bit higher in price than a $15 difference.

As you mentioned, the most articulate OD sound I get is on the bridge pickup but I was hoping to kind of open that up a little more to some of the other positions. Even on the bridge pickup, I have to keep the bass rolled off almost completely on the amp and then I turn it up just slightly on the guitar - that is a great sound and I love it but I don't want the other positions to be completely useless on OD if you know what I mean.
Quote by Twhjelmgren28
Thanks for the input - from what I've listened to, I tend to favor the american sounding speakers. I completely understand your point about jumping a bit higher in price than a $15 difference.

As you mentioned, the most articulate OD sound I get is on the bridge pickup but I was hoping to kind of open that up a little more to some of the other positions. Even on the bridge pickup, I have to keep the bass rolled off almost completely on the amp and then I turn it up just slightly on the guitar - that is a great sound and I love it but I don't want the other positions to be completely useless on OD if you know what I mean.
Right. In my experience with high-gain OD sounds, the bridge position is often the only way to get a tight bass response. The middle and neck positions will add too much mud. Those positions are great for thick, singing, fuzz-like leads, but for chords you'll end up with less clarity compared to the bridge. Of course this is being general.
Awesome! Thanks for the response. I don't feel like I'm even putting much gain on the amp in general. I completely understand there is a place for thick muddy sounds but I was just hoping I could pull out more tight bass sounds in varying positions. Thanks again!

Any other speaker recommendations are encouraged.
As far as Eminence goes, I own the Texas Heat and Swamp Thang, which reside together in a 2x12 closed back cab. I really like it. I've run amps separately through each speaker to compare. The Texas Heat has a little more mids, which help accentuate the crunch, and the Swamp Thang has a little more low end and is "smoother". I always recommend them. Love them.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Will Lane

I wouldn't go cheap on the speaker replacement, move vertically in quality rather than horizontally. At $70 USD for the Eminence I would be wary. For reference the Rocket 50 is $55 USD. The first upgrade I think of is a Vintage 30 which is a common upgrade and not too expensive either

The Rocket 50 is a low-priced speaker used by manufacturers to keep costs low and profits high, and it's available in bulk to OEMs at a far lower price than what you see on the celestion website. It's also seriously inefficient at around 95 dB (look for "sensitivity" specs on Celestion spec sheets). A Vintage 30 like the one Will recommended will be a solid 5 dB more efficient (louder with the same wattage input). A new one will have a bit more mids emphasis bordering on abrasive, but Vintage 30's famously mellow as they break in. A Vintage 30 has better bottom-end response as well, with a resonant frequency of 75 hz compared to 90Hz on the Rocket 50 and response that tails off far more slowly below 100Hz compared to the Rocket 50.
Eminence speakers are very good quality, they just charge a reasonable amount for speakers when compared to Celestion who charge $150+ a speaker.

WGS speakers and Weber speakers are both very good reasonable priced speakers (in the US)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Awesome! I do really like the sound samples of the vintage 30. It seems to be what I'm going for. I also read that users of the Hot Rod Deluxe (closest clean sound I have compared to my CD30) have had great tones come out after upgrading to a vintage 30.

Curious how that compares to the WGS Veteren 30 vs. Retro 30 . . .

Thanks again for the responses.
Quote by Twhjelmgren28
Awesome! I do really like the sound samples of the vintage 30. It seems to be what I'm going for. I also read that users of the Hot Rod Deluxe (closest clean sound I have compared to my CD30) have had great tones come out after upgrading to a vintage 30.

Curious how that compares to the WGS Veteren 30 vs. Retro 30 . . .

Thanks again for the responses.

The Retro 30 is more of a V30 clone and the Veteran 30 is more of an improved V30. The veteran 30 removes the hi-mid eq spike that is found in the V30 and it smooths it out a bit. The Retro30 has a brighter tone like the V30

www.avatarspeakers.com sell the hellatone 60 which is a V30 that has been broken in. the Celestion V30 sticker is still on the speakers under the avatar sticker
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i wouldn't touch a rocket 50 with a ten foot poll (not even with a condom). haha.

look at WGS on the cheap.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If your clean sounds great, then I wouldn't know what to tell you...

I had the same issue on my Ashdown Fallen Angel and I have quite a few speakers: Greenbacks, Eminence, the Celestion 70 watters and all sounded muddy on the distortion channel.

I ended up trying different power and preamp tubes, ended up with Chuguang 12ax7 on the dirt channel and Mesa el34s on the power tubes. The Chuguang preamp tubes were described as lacking bass which was fine with me in this situation and they seemed to lift the veil somewhat but I ended up getting a tech to look up the drive channel and he changed some of the values on the eq filter scheme which fixed it permanently.

If you have speaker out on the amp, maybe go to guitar store with your gear and test few cabs to see what you can get in terms of sound.

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/12AX7-ECC83-Tube-Types/Shuguang-12AX7-A

The Eminence speakers are fuller sounding so they'll attenuate the bass even more, so I think you might be more suited to look at Celestions.
I suppose a speaker upgrade wouldn't hurt. I'm liking what I read and hear about the Veteran 30. If the speaker doesn't fix the problem, then I could have a tech look at it or try some different tubes.
I guess my thoughts were that I can dial in an OD tone I like currently but wanted less mud on the amp overall and in different settings - I was thinking if I upgraded a speaker and it didn't fix the problem then I still have some tones I like; there is also the chance that it would clean up that mud enough that I found a few more options on the OD channel. Perhaps I should be looking into something else other than a speaker to begin with . . .
I wouldn't mind changing that speaker as it is NOT a good speaker

For really clean cleans Jensen is probably the best way to go. Maybe this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/jensen-c12k-100w-12-replacement-speaker?rNtt=jensen%20speakers&index=3