Hey Guys,

I have recently been offered a trade on my Reverend Charger HB (I have two other Reverends right now, and a PRS CE22 that is fulfilling my humbucker needs). The gentleman offered me a Fender '57 AVRI Stratocaster, and as I currently don't have a Strat, I'm intrigued. I'm not at all sure how to spot the authenticity of American Strats, so I thought I'd ask for some of your expertise. I've attached pictures for reference - looks legit to my bass player, who is a Strat guy, and I confirmed the specs with Fender based on the serial of the neck plate, just wanted to triple check before meeting up with him on Sunday to trade up. The pictures are those that he has sent me - I asked for a neck pocket and heel shot, and he said that this is a 57 AVRI, not an American Standard - I take that to mean that there aren't indicators of authenticity in the pocked or on the neck heel (or perhaps that he has never bothered to look there).

Thanks!
OffsetOffset
Last edited by SteveHOC at Feb 17, 2016,
where the trussrod adjustment is, is there a piece of rosewood or a allen key receptacle?

if its got a allen key, i am pretty sure that it is NOT a AVRI. but i can't tell for sure as its not overly clear.

i am not sure on the saddles too, but i could be wrong on that again.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
so fender said this serial number lined up with a 57 AVRI?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
thanks for popping in greg.

what is your thought on the saddles? i know that they aren't supposed to be the block, but i thought they were a different styled bent.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Man, I love a Strat thread.

The #1 thing I see people actually get wrong on fakes is the case. It seems easy, but people overlook it. The G&G is proper. The other thing people screw up on fakes is the maple neck tint, of which this looks correct.

For the 57' AVRI Strat, Fender contracted out to use the Gotoh vintage style tuners. Just ask for a pic of the back of the headstock. If they have "f" logos, then I'd be wary. If they're plain, I'd be very confident it's genuine.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by trashedlostfdup
where the trussrod adjustment is, is there a piece of rosewood or a allen key receptacle?

Isn't it walnut? Either way, if you look at the photos where that part of the headstock reflects the light, that reflection is unbroken, so the teardrop's definitely there.

The saddles look right to me; should say "Fender" either side of the slot on Reissues, as far as I'm aware.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Hey guys, thanks so much for the responses. I can definitely say that the truss adjustment is at the heel, and that the saddles are stamped "Fender". Fender verified that this Strat is a limited CAR run with a maple neck, which made me feel better. Glad the case is the real deal as well. I'll get a look at the tuners when I meet with this guy, but I feel pretty confident on it now. I was just a bit weary because value-wise, he's loosing about $500 and didn't ask for cash to balance.
OffsetOffset
Last edited by SteveHOC at Feb 18, 2016,
Nice, and if you don't like it feel free to let me know
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by trashedlostfdup
thanks for popping in greg.

what is your thought on the saddles? i know that they aren't supposed to be the block, but i thought they were a different styled bent.

jake is way better than me at spotting fake fenders.

the only thing i see wrong in the images is a slight finish crack (or hair possibly) under the neck plate.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020

the only thing i see wrong in the images is a slight finish crack (or hair possibly) under the neck plate.

at least i erred on the side of caution... lol.

i have only had experience with RI teles.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by gregs1020

I wish I had the eye for it, but I have zero experience with Strats (or American Fenders in general).

I noticed the spot under the neck plate too, but I probably won't shoot him down over that
OffsetOffset
Finish cracks will develop there from folks who put those neckplate screws on too tight. To avoid that you should really only put them on one at a time mostly tight, then work back around to fully tight, like putting on a tire.

I'm pretty confident it's legit. The neck-plate stamp LE was something they didn't do too often. And the only LE Edition neckplates you can buy from eBay or anywhere I've seen online are ones that are meant to be OEM replacements for your Select Strats or things of that nature. The problem with those is they all have the adjustment hole for the micro-tilt adjustment. They didn't do LE serials until well after the advent of the micro-tilt.

That means that if someone wanted to fake this, they'd have to have bought a Fender neckplate and stamp in the perfectly copies LIMITED EDITION and then a serial that magically checks out with Fender... all without punching through the chrome plating.

And then the attention to detail to even leave the CE sticker on there? People who fake Fenders usually don't have that attention to detail. That's for the Gibby fakers, haha.

The lacquer tint on the neck is right, too. The waterslide is in the correct position. It even says "Original Contour Body," on the headstock. Modern necks and waterslides generally say "Synchronized."

Get it. It's a great deal.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER