I normally take my guitar to a tech about 45 minutes away. He has always done good work for me and charges a fair rate ($35) for setups and maintenance (fretboard cleaning, oiling, polishing frets, etc.). However, I would like to start learning how to properly adjust truss rods and work with bridges to lower the action and so forth. I know I can probably find all my answers on Youtube and forums alike, but I would also like to have a book to read and learn with.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I know Dan Erlewine has some out that are highly rated and am contemplating one of those. Thanks!
Guitar Player Repair Guide by Erlewine

From what I gathered, he's the guy that came up with the way to setup a guitar. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

I just got it myself, but I did so based on recommendations. I haven't checked out the DVD yet, but that is part of the appeal of the physical copy. It's like $25 on Amazon.

I know the Guitar Center in town charges $50 for a setup, so $35 isn't as bad.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
I have one called The Definitive Guitar Handbook by Rusty Cutchin, its pretty informational I found it on clearance at Borders for like $4.99
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by bjgrifter
Guitar Player Repair Guide by Erlewine

I picked up a copy of this not long ago; worth every penny IMO.
Thanks guys. Ordered that, a neck straight edge, and an fret/action gauge with all kinds of measurements. Already have feeler gauges so I should have the basics! Thanks.