Hi, I play guitar for 10 years and I decided that I have to buy a new guitar that will replace my telecaster. I am searching for a guitar that has a decent variety of tones, that I'll be able to play it from the calmest jazz to the heaviest metal. I search for guitar that have humbackers that can split to single coils and sound good without hamming.
Now I'm between two guitars:
PRS custom 24, that I learning about her for two years. It so beauty and mean, got her style and sound with awesome versatile.
And the other guitar is what I discover lately is the Majesty from music man. I hate signature guitars but this one can have its own sound from what I've heard. It is also beauty and a beast with a lot of variations because the game changer tec and has a great piezzo too that is awesome itself.
Because this two guitars are so expensive and to spend on this guitars is not so easy I want to ensure that I will get a guitar that will be worth every penny, and I won't regret. I search for guitar for experts that will be comfortable and sound the best with distortion. I really need help with decide. I haven't play the guitars yet but I want to hear how they are first from people who have them.
Thanks for your help!
I've managed to play a few Custom 24's. Good instruments, and if a PRS was what I was looking for at the moment I'd snag one in an instant. It certainly has a good variety of tones you can get out of it, but it might not be able to do 'the heaviest metal' while also doing 'the calmest jazz.' In fact, any guitar is gonna have at least a little trouble crossing such a huge divide, depending on what you're looking for out of each kind of tone you look for. The Custom 24's I've played all had a nice, warm sound, but retained edge and clarity when you kicked on the gain. I imagine that with a 25" scale length, it would keep that clarity at least until around drop C.

I haven't gotten a chance to play the Majesty yet, but I've played Petrucci's one older signature models, and it felt amazing. The neck was one of the smoothest I've ever played, and had one of the most beautiful humbucker clean tones I've heard. It didn't do exactly what I wanted it to do when I added some gain though, retained more of a roundness to it that works really well for lead tones, but just wasn't what I would personally go for in a rhythm tone. It just seemed a little too squishy for me. But my idea of a good heavy rhythm tone is very, very different from Petrucci's. I didn't like the vibrato arm as much on it as I did PRS's vibrato, but it's still pretty good. The PRS one just felt a little more natural to me. The piezo was a really nice touch, sounded decent enough and the toggle for it was in the perfect place. Easy to reach, but out of the way enough that you wouldn't suddenly engage acoustic mode by accident.

Both are good guitars, but do different things. If memory serves correctly, the Custom 24 is a brighter sounding guitar than Petrucci's signature models. And like I said, it might be difficult to find something that does both very clean jazz and really heavy metal equally well. My humbucker-equipped Telecaster does heavy pretty well. Even in drop A# it's tight and crispy sounding, while still having a good amount of bottom end. The tradeoff is that while it might sound fine doing a clean section in a rock song, it's just a bit too bright, with too much snap, to do a good and warm jazz tone without some extra work.

Are you absolutely set between these two guitars? Is there anything else you're interested in at all? I recently asked this forum about some guitar ideas for my next axe, and while I'd been looking at ESP and Ibanez initially, I'll probably end up going with Carvin/Kiesal at the suggestion of another forum member.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
I am searching for a guitar that has a decent variety of tones, that I'll be able to play it from the calmest jazz to the heaviest metal. I search for guitar that have humbackers that can split to single coils and sound good without hamming.

Tonal flexibility- indeed, the bulk of your tone- comes from your amp. Then your pedals. Tonally, the guitar you use is mainly about fine-tuning and active manipulation of your tone, not defining it.

So...what is your current amp?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Tonal flexibility- indeed, the bulk of your tone- comes from your amp. Then your pedals. Tonally, the guitar you use is mainly about fine-tuning and active manipulation of your tone, not defining it.

So...what is your current amp?

I have Marshall ma50 and also I use guitar rig 5 when I connect my guitar directly to my blackjack sound card.
I know to no guitar could have such varity of tones to play the two opposites genres but I want a guitar that will be for life and will sound awesome in any way and especially as leading guitar, soloing, shredding.
It also has to be comfortable enough for the higher frets, and to feel right with the arm
Quote by kumamilesbear
I've managed to play a few Custom 24's. Good instruments, and if a PRS was what I was looking for at the moment I'd snag one in an instant. It certainly has a good variety of tones you can get out of it, but it might not be able to do 'the heaviest metal' while also doing 'the calmest jazz.' In fact, any guitar is gonna have at least a little trouble crossing such a huge divide, depending on what you're looking for out of each kind of tone you look for. The Custom 24's I've played all had a nice, warm sound, but retained edge and clarity when you kicked on the gain. I imagine that with a 25" scale length, it would keep that clarity at least until around drop C.

I haven't gotten a chance to play the Majesty yet, but I've played Petrucci's one older signature models, and it felt amazing. The neck was one of the smoothest I've ever played, and had one of the most beautiful humbucker clean tones I've heard. It didn't do exactly what I wanted it to do when I added some gain though, retained more of a roundness to it that works really well for lead tones, but just wasn't what I would personally go for in a rhythm tone. It just seemed a little too squishy for me. But my idea of a good heavy rhythm tone is very, very different from Petrucci's. I didn't like the vibrato arm as much on it as I did PRS's vibrato, but it's still pretty good. The PRS one just felt a little more natural to me. The piezo was a really nice touch, sounded decent enough and the toggle for it was in the perfect place. Easy to reach, but out of the way enough that you wouldn't suddenly engage acoustic mode by accident.

Both are good guitars, but do different things. If memory serves correctly, the Custom 24 is a brighter sounding guitar than Petrucci's signature models. And like I said, it might be difficult to find something that does both very clean jazz and really heavy metal equally well. My humbucker-equipped Telecaster does heavy pretty well. Even in drop A# it's tight and crispy sounding, while still having a good amount of bottom end. The tradeoff is that while it might sound fine doing a clean section in a rock song, it's just a bit too bright, with too much snap, to do a good and warm jazz tone without some extra work.

Are you absolutely set between these two guitars? Is there anything else you're interested in at all? I recently asked this forum about some guitar ideas for my next axe, and while I'd been looking at ESP and Ibanez initially, I'll probably end up going with Carvin/Kiesal at the suggestion of another forum member.

Thank you for your help!! I am now only between this guitars because I've heard and play a lot of other guitars and doesnt felt that the that good ( ESP , carvin, ibanez, Gibson custom shop and etc.)
I know that there isn't perfect guitar for all genres but I want a guitar that will be for life, to give me the best satisfaction for this hugh price.
I currently writing and recording my own songs and they progressive metal style. I want a guitar that is the best for lead sound and for soloing, and comfortable too.
When I go clean I want it to be warm and round and still bit funky and when I go distortion I want it to be mean but very clear and precise.
I have a PRS CE22 (discontinued model) and it is a great guitar and it can do lots of styles very nice. I'm partial to PRS guitars, but you should go try them first and decide yourself
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You should also look at the Guthrie Govan model from Charvel ( or the older Suhr models)- they're both amazing guitars and very versatile.
Quote by yuvalmaster
Thank you for your help!! I am now only between this guitars because I've heard and play a lot of other guitars and doesnt felt that the that good ( ESP , carvin, ibanez, Gibson custom shop and etc.)
I know that there isn't perfect guitar for all genres but I want a guitar that will be for life, to give me the best satisfaction for this hugh price.

First item of business: I wouldn't eliminate guitar brands or styles based simply on a single (or even a couple) of instruments played. I don't know what your location might be, but you should be aware that the setup of an individual guitar can greatly affect its "feel." If you're pretty far from where these guitars originate, the guitars might be set up pretty far from their ideal. I live in SoCal, within a couple of hours of the Carvin, Taylor, Fender and Suhr factories are located, and I've managed to end up with seven pretty spectacular Carvins.

Second item of business: I rarely buy guitars with a pricetag in mind. Pretty much all of my guitars have been purchased with lifetime use in mind (I rarely sell one), including the $130 used one I bought a year ago. Even the guitars that have been over $4K and $5K new have required setup help.

When I went shopping for true versatility, I'd usually end up with some variation of an HSH pickup configuration with coil taps, phase switches, etc. But the last go-round I ended up with a pair of Variax guitars that are capable of sounding like a wide variety of traditional guitars, and are capable of playing alternate tunings (on individual strings) with as much as a full octave in either direction on each individual string.

When shopping for those guitars, I found that I could buy Korean versions at around $1200 (this is the JTV-89F) or American versions for around $3600. The Americans offered Hipshot tuners, a hard case and an extra battery in addition to whatever benefits being assembled in the US offered. I tried both, inspected both, and went with a pair of the Koreans. Haven't regretted a moment, though I did buy extra batteries and found the originator of the hard case (about $300) right in downtown LA!.

Good luck with your search!
Quote by yuvalmaster
Hi, I play guitar for 10 years and I decided that I have to buy a new guitar that will replace my telecaster. I am searching for a guitar that has a decent variety of tones, that I'll be able to play it from the calmest jazz to the heaviest metal. I search for guitar that have humbackers that can split to single coils and sound good without hamming.
Now I'm between two guitars:
PRS custom 24, that I learning about her for two years. It so beauty and mean, got her style and sound with awesome versatile.
And the other guitar is what I discover lately is the Majesty from music man. I hate signature guitars but this one can have its own sound from what I've heard. It is also beauty and a beast with a lot of variations because the game changer tec and has a great piezzo too that is awesome itself.
Because this two guitars are so expensive and to spend on this guitars is not so easy I want to ensure that I will get a guitar that will be worth every penny, and I won't regret. I search for guitar for experts that will be comfortable and sound the best with distortion. I really need help with decide. I haven't play the guitars yet but I want to hear how they are first from people who have them.
Thanks for your help!

You could look into Keisel/Carvins custom shop, the pricing is great and so is the quality, quite a few options and some awesome looking shapes.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Tonally, the guitar you use is mainly about fine-tuning and active manipulation of your tone, not defining it.

I disagree. You'll have a hard job making, say, a tele not sound like a tele and an even harder job of making a non-tele sound like a tele. For example.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the amp (depending on exactly what you're comparing with what) and even pedals can make more of a difference, but that doesn't mean that the guitar isn't important either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you hate signature guitars and it sounds like your heart is with the PRS, that sounds like the choice. You are probably going to have some buyer's remorse with whatever you get, but it will be a lot worse if you make your decision off of comments from a forum. For that kind of cost, try them (many times) before you choose.

I have a Music Man jp6, I wasn't looking for one (candidly, didn't know who JP was at the time). And although when my search began I wasn't even considering a PRS, I found a used custom 24 and was extremely close to buying it (beautiful guitar - played great), but at the same time, I noticed the jp6, and played them both back to back. I even left and came back the next day (was very worried the custom 24 might sell). The next day did the same thing. In the end, I couldn't put the jp6 down.

Today, I continue to buy guitars/equipment (can't help it), and I like guitars for certain genres but my favorite guitar - that I always go back to and play every chance I get is the jp6. You need to find that guitar for yourself.