So I'm getting my strat set up for Drop B/A soon, and was wondering what people think are the best gauge strings? Obviously they need to be heavy - the highest tuning I'll end up in is probably C# standard, but I'll mostly be in Drop B and Drop A. I was thinking either 11-56 ( http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=26&productname=EXL117_Nickel_Wound__Medium_Top_Extra_Heavy_Bottom__11_56 ) or just go full on 12-60 ( http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=31 )

Not sure if the 12-60 will be unecessarily heavy? I know people quite often tend to use 10-52 for stuff like Drop C, so would 11-56 be fine for going as low as A?

Cheers
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
I used a 56-12 for B standard and drop A, and it felt pretty floppy on a 25.5" scale. Id go for the 60 if i were you.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I use gauge 11-48. I play in Drop B with no problems. No need to go heavier.
For B standard and Drop A, I've got D'Addario .13-.62s on my Dean. For E Standard and Drop D, I've got .12-.56s on my Les Paul, and for E Standard and Drop D, I've got .11-.52s on my Tele. I just prefer heavy gauge strings to lighter. It comes down to preference. Sets of strings are cheap: buy a few, try each out for a few weeks, see which you prefer, and stick with it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
All answers will be preference unless we know what strings and tunings you currently use.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by K33nbl4d3
All answers will be preference unless we know what strings and tunings you currently use.

Yeah, i realise that, just trying to gauge opinion. At the moment I use 10-46 for everything, which at the moment is just 2 guitars in E and one in Drop C (although that could do with some 10-52 to be fair). I was thinking more along the lines of necessity for the heavier gauges rather than preference to be honest, as the extremely low tunings do kinda need those heavier gauges.

Quote by cornmancer
In that case, I think 12-60 would probably be your best bet.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Since you're getting it set up with significantly heavier strings than it initially came with, make certain that the strings you want will actually fit in the tuners, that the tech you go to knows how to properly file new nut slots and that you can accurately intonate the lower strings when it's all done. (Sometimes there's not enough saddle movement available, which is a nightmare!)

Good luck.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Since you're getting it set up with significantly heavier strings than it initially came with, make certain that the strings you want will actually fit in the tuners, that the tech you go to knows how to properly file new nut slots and that you can accurately intonate the lower strings when it's all done. (Sometimes there's not enough saddle movement available, which is a nightmare!)

Good luck.

All good points; if your nut isn't playing nicely even looking at the guitar is going to be a tuning nightmare.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
I took the guitar into the shop where the tech operates from (he doesn't work for the shop as such, just has his base there and they advertise for him), and he did mention filing down the nut to accommodate the new strings and such.

The people in the shop recommended the D'addario 11-56 strings, but I do have some concerns that they're going to flap around in Drop A. I will check to make sure the strings will be able to fit the tuners too

http://i.imgur.com/rNoiHAm.jpg

Alright those are my tuners, I read that vintage tuners are sometimes not tall enough for the thicker strings to wind around but these seem pretty tall to me (not that you can probably tell from the picture...)

Quote by cornmancer
Last edited by Hoodoo Child at Feb 18, 2016,
Just buy a set and try it. Or buy a 7-string. Problem solved.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I have 12-60 strings on a 24.75" guitar for C standard. The 60 is a bit loose for my tastes, but still plays pretty well. My guitar is also at the limit for how low I can set the intonation on the low C, so I wouldn't get anything thinner or thicker than that for this guitar.

If your guitar has a longer scale length than mine it will intonate better.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Those tuners will be fine. The great thing about vintage-style tuners is you can easily judge how many winds you'll get beforehand, and in the case of your bass strings that should only be one or two, to minimise the string shifting about on the post. The low E on my Tele (with vintage-style tuners) is a 54 and I'm certain the tuner could take a 60 no problem.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
I'd recommend the 12s, 11s are stupidly floppy in B tuning, but that was on a Les Paul, you might have more luck with the 25.5" scale neck. I've got mine strung in D'Addario 12s now. (Only because my local store doesn't stock Elixir 12s!)

I didn't have trouble with 12s fitting through the tuner holes, but I did with the nut, and it turns out the Epiphone plastic nuts don't take to filing very well, so I uh, completely blew that and dropped in a bone nut.
Cleartone has 14-80 gauge strings, which are the heaviest gauge I've seen so far. I wanted to try them out for fun. But I would go for 12-60 gauge or if you're feeling lucky 13-70, Cleartone has some of the best strings for drop tuning in my opinion.
i used 11-56 for c standard drop b, then again i use 9-50 for e/drop d.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Last edited by romeozdistress at Feb 22, 2016,
put the gauges in a string tension calculator. /thread.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
On my 7 string I currently use 11-58 in standard tuning. I've used a 56 before and it was fine even when dropping to A. I feel like you could probably go down to a 54 or 52, but it might start getting a little floppy.

I guess my guitar was made with lighter strings in mind since for a 58 on the low B to intonate properly I had to pull the little spring out that goes around the screw and back the saddle up almost as far as it would go and it just barely made it. Now the slot the string goes through in the saddle is slightly behind the hole through the body so it's a little annoying when restringing. I also had to widen the nut slot a little bit.