The stupid thing is frazzled and I'm not sure what's gone wrong. Handy as I was trying to sell it as-well. I've accidentally ran a cable from one of the speaker outs into one of the effects jacks, and it didn't seem to like it. It still works, but the sound has lost its "balls", if that makes sense. It's like putting a blanker over the speaker. And good luck getting pinch harmonics to come out. The power tubes aren't obviously dead, they look fine, don't do anything when I tap them.

Help please, SOS, many thanks...
I'm confused as to how one "accidentally" runs a cable from speaker out to an effects jack?

In any case since it still works at all it's probably a relatively easy fix, but without opening it up it's going to be hard to be sure what it is.

In most cases I'd suggest starting with a couple of new preamp tubes and rolling them through the various positions to see if that helped, and if it didn't then changing the power tubes, but since there's going to be some costs incurred and you're trying to sell it that probably doesn't appeal too much.

Other than that I've really got nothing though.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
The jacks are identical, equally spaced and right next to each other, it's pretty easy to mix them up >.< The cable was obviously running through all my effects if that's what you're confused about, I mean I ran my effects from the effects jack and the speaker out.

The preamp tubes are £9 each and I've got squat all at the moment, this isn't going to be very nice. I don't suppose I can visually check if a preamp tube is dead if I remove the shields?
Even if tubes light up and do not amplify taps, that does not mean that they are fine. They can still be dead. You either have to use a tube tester or put them in an amp to see if they are dead.

Try plugging in directly to the effects return. Be sure to properly locate that port. If you get sound then your power section is working.

But likely you have blown something in the power section. Output transformers are known to blow when hooking things to speaker outs that shouldn't be there. And those are expensive.

Best thing is to let it sit for a while, get some money, and take it to an amp tech.
Plugging a guitar directly into the effects return gives sound, but extremely loud for some reason?

I'll see if I can use a tube tester anywhere.

Thanks
Quote by Will Lane
Even if tubes light up and do not amplify taps, that does not mean that they are fine. They can still be dead. You either have to use a tube tester or put them in an amp to see if they are dead.

Try plugging in directly to the effects return. Be sure to properly locate that port. If you get sound then your power section is working.

But likely you have blown something in the power section. Output transformers are known to blow when hooking things to speaker outs that shouldn't be there. And those are expensive.

Best thing is to let it sit for a while, get some money, and take it to an amp tech.

Quote by dragonzrmetal
It still works, but the sound has lost its "balls", if that makes sense. It's like putting a blanker over the speaker. And good luck getting pinch harmonics to come out.

??
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
??
Yeah, since TS still had sound but "it lost its balls" I don't know for sure if something power went out but just suggesting so since, from my understanding, using powered outs improperly is more likely to blow something in the power section.
Quote by dragonzrmetal
Plugging a guitar directly into the effects return gives sound, but extremely loud for some reason?

I'll see if I can use a tube tester anywhere.

Thanks
And with that, I guess not. Or maybe the PI.
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 18, 2016,
I would suspect that the fx loop driver tube could be dead.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/