Submit an audit
5 28%
Find a trasnfer/new job
10 56%
Other
3 17%
Voters: 18.
Page 1 of 2
Has anyone really ever been as far to be discriminated against in the workplace?

How did you deal with it? Did you take a legal route to resolve the problem?

I believe I am being discriminated against in my job because of my age. In January I was given a long overdue promotion, but it wasn't to the level that I (and others in my department above me) feel that I deserve and have earned. I was never given a concrete reason why I wasn't promoted to the level I asked for, and it came to my attention that the director of my department said in a meeting on Monday that I wasn't promoted to the correct level because "he makes enough for his age". That made me furious.

Understand that when you work for the government, you don't get promoted to do new things. You do new things and after a while they'll promote you and start paying you for what you already do. It's backwards and bullshit, but that's how it is. So when I say I deserve this promotion, I mean that I already have responsibilities and duties that fall under that job class, but I am being denied adequate compensation for it.

I've looked into legal protections for age discrimination, but as far as I can tell, federal law only protects persons over the age of 40, as does Colorado law.

The legal route seems to be closed to me, so that leaves me with two options. I can look for a transfer/new job, which I am already doing and have 1 good prospect in the works, or I can go above my department director and submit an audit to the state human resources office and have them evaluate my job and pay accordingly. Submitting an audit is my legal right, but it will definitely make an enemy of my department head, because she can't stand to be wrong, so if I go around her and prove her wrong, she'll be furious, and then I'll have to work for someone who despises me.

Pit, halp. Real jobs suck.
Check out my band Disturbed
if you want more money transfer to a different department or get a new job.

don't piss off the people you work with, even if you're right.
relations are everything, same thing with burning bridges ...

i'd say find a new job first, get in the door, then submit the audit. If you don't get what you want, quit, and go to your new job. It's a long process, and will take time, but that's your "other" option.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

sadly i think promotions and/or pay raises have to do with personality compatibility with the boss. "meet the new boss, same as the old boss". even if you try to go after someone for discrimination, good luck proving anything.
Quote by k.lainad
i'd say find a new job first, get in the door, then submit the audit. If you don't get what you want, quit, and go to your new job. It's a long process, and will take time, but that's your "other" option.

That's kinda what I'm doing. I submitted a transfer application for the HR department. $500 more a month, closer to home, get away from my dickhead boss. Competition is tough, though, so I can't count on getting it.

Quote by seanlang01
Just quit.

I'm not going to quit without another job lined up.
Quote by StewieSwan
That's kinda what I'm doing. I submitted a transfer application for the HR department. $500 more a month, closer to home, get away from my dickhead boss. Competition is tough, though, so I can't count on getting it.

Line up another job, then quit.

You complain, people will get angry at you, discrimination intensifies. You do nothing, discrimination remains.

Tell em you quit, see if something changes. If they tell you conditions will be better, stay and test the water. If not, tell em to go fuck themselves.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
...but I agree, there's nothing better then telling a boss to kiss your ass, especially when you both know you're an asset and they continually deny you.
my friend works for the DOD and is going through the same bullshit. age discrimination increases as internal bureaucracy increases as well (which is why govt jobs can be the pits for young, highly competent employees)

I am definitely discriminated against due to my age/sex in academia (I am 24 and much younger than most other graduate students and lecturers... doesn't help that I'm a chick) but I can use it to my advantage sometimes to lighten the mood when people are crazy stressed, plus I'm finishing up this semester
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

If your other option is leaving the job anyway, what's it matter if you piss her off. Unless you're gonna rely on her for a reference or something.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by StewieSwan

Obviously start looking for one before you quit.

Not sure I believe the age discrimination bit, but I'm not in a position to determine that. So, why work at a place that values tenure over competence?
how long have you been working at this place?
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by ErikLensherr
If your other option is leaving the job anyway, what's it matter if you piss her off. Unless you're gonna rely on her for a reference or something.

Because I would be working upstairs lol

Quote by vintage x metal
how long have you been working at this place?

Lil over 4 years
oh definitely find a new job at this point IMO.
you have more than enough experience to find a decent position elsewhere (and it sounds like you already have found one.) obviously don't leave before you find a new job, but there is no reason someone your age should be stuck to a company after several years if they aren't treating you properly.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Bring a recording audio device with you and ask again about the promotion. Get a soundbyte. Mention that the reason you're given sounds like age discrimination.

If you don't get promoted, use the soundbyte as evidence.

It's a lot of work, but I wouldn't let someone do that to me and get away with it.

Actually, I would, but I like to act tough on the Internet.
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola at #33841249
Bring a recording audio device with you and ask again about the promotion. Get a soundbyte. Mention that the reason you're given sounds like age discrimination.

yeah don't do this, at least not until you check your state's laws
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by chrismendiola

It's a lot of work, but I wouldn't let someone do that to me and get away with it.

Actually, I would, but I like to act tough on the Internet.

try that without informed consent at a govt job lol
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

My old boss did that to our director once. She lost her shit. lol
Did she ever find her shit or was it lost forever.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did she ever find her shit or was it lost forever.

not sure she ever had it
Quote by StewieSwan

I believe I am being discriminated against in my job because of my age. In January I was given a long overdue promotion, but it wasn't to the level that I (and others in my department above me) feel that I deserve and have earned. I was never given a concrete reason why I wasn't promoted to the level I asked for, and it came to my attention that the director of my department said in a meeting on Monday that I wasn't promoted to the correct level because "he makes enough for his age". That made me furious.

The legal/audit route is closed. You have no evidence, just hearsay. You would only have a case if you can get the people in that meeting to testify in deposition or in court that it was said, or if there was a recording of the meeting (some companies do that to refer to later..)

Understand that when you work for the government, you don't get promoted to do new things. You do new things and after a while they'll promote you and start paying you for what you already do. It's backwards and bullshit, but that's how it is. So when I say I deserve this promotion, I mean that I already have responsibilities and duties that fall under that job class, but I am being denied adequate compensation for it.

Complain to the government about it.

The legal route seems to be closed to me, so that leaves me with two options. I can look for a transfer/new job, which I am already doing and have 1 good prospect in the works, or I can go above my department director and submit an audit to the state human resources office and have them evaluate my job and pay accordingly. Submitting an audit is my legal right, but it will definitely make an enemy of my department head, because she can't stand to be wrong, so if I go around her and prove her wrong, she'll be furious, and then I'll have to work for someone who despises me.

Pit, halp. Real jobs suck.

See above about the audit. You do need to consider, a new job could be worse than the one you're currently in. It is possible. I've done that.

You can't always tell how awful a place is until you actually start working there.
not much you can really do. you have to be able to prove discrimination. you did get a promotion so right there you're kinda on thin ice. not getting what "you" think you deserve and being discriminated against is a tough case. at 40 you really aren't that old either. do any of us get what we think we deserve? probably not.

don't quit your job unless you have another one lined up and believe that the new job will keep you. seniority still counts for something in many gov't jobs (or other places for that matter). in todays job market being the low man on the totem pole isn't a good place to be.

it is true that many do get discriminated against due to age. a friend that is a counciller at unemployment showed me a ton of stats that prove this. once you get past 50 good luck finding a good job (unless you have skills that are super hard to find).
Quote by monwobobbo
not much you can really do. you have to be able to prove discrimination. you did get a promotion so right there you're kinda on thin ice. not getting what "you" think you deserve and being discriminated against is a tough case.

No, I can objectively prove that I deserve it. The state system has very strict guidelines about what duties fall under what job class. It would be very easy for me to compare my job duties with the state guidelines and prove that I should be a higher level. That's the audit process. It would get me promoted, but it would piss off my department director, because I went above her.

Quote by badfish_lewis
Submit the audit; you're worried she will hate you but she already clearly doesn't favor you

She likes me and has given me cool opportunities before. I don't think it's a personal thing. I think she thinks she can get away with paying me less because I'm younger than pretty much everybody else in the department. There's definitely a budget angle to it.
Last edited by StewieSwan at Feb 18, 2016,
Try and get a transfer to a different department.

There's no point leaving a fairly decent job overall on the basis of one person. If its a culture that goes across departments then you should just go to the private sector, but if not, try and move departments first of all. You may find that you can get promoted into a new role in a different department because you have the skills for that grade (at least that's how it works in the british civil service.)

Also, you should consider getting support from your trade union, it's their job to protect you and support you when it comes to discrimination and bullying in the workplace.

Finally, you have to remember that taking on new responsibilities above your grade before you get a promotion is normal. They want to make sure you're capable of managing the workload and jobs required of you before moving you full time into that role. You also need to ask yourself if you're working to the standard that's expected of you at that grade. If you're taking on all of the responsibilities of a higher grade then you're in the right place to ask for a promotion to match your capabilities.

And don't be afraid to turn down work. If your workload is unmanageable because of extra duties they expect you to do that are above your role, let them know that you won't be able to get other stuff done. I know it's easier said then done.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

hi I have been discriminated against in the workplace for age, sex, and race/ethnicity. Age and sex based were easy for me to deal with either by ignoring or turning it to my advantage, while race/ethnicity was a lot tougher to deal with.

I think I would attempt to transfer if I were in your position since I wouldn't want to antagonize someone I might work with in the future and I would want to advance as much as possible. But if you really like your workplace and you can deal with it, I guess you might want to wait it out a little.
cat
I've had to deal with similar bullshit with being held back by petty superiors. You're lucky that you have the ability to find a new job.

Other than that, it's not going to be a thing that you can ever fully escape -- you will always be at the whims of someone else's fancy to some degree. Hopefully there's better things in your future

Quit working for the government

edit: I was "discriminated against" (not chosen for advancement when I should have been) because of wanting to do bigger and better things
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by OddOneOut
Try and get a transfer to a different department.

There's no point leaving a fairly decent job overall on the basis of one person. If its a culture that goes across departments then you should just go to the private sector, but if not, try and move departments first of all. You may find that you can get promoted into a new role in a different department because you have the skills for that grade (at least that's how it works in the british civil service.)

I'm trying to transfer to Human Resources as an administrator. I'm very qualified and have a good shot, but there are no guarantees obviously.

Also, you should consider getting support from your trade union, it's their job to protect you and support you when it comes to discrimination and bullying in the workplace.

haha

Finally, you have to remember that taking on new responsibilities above your grade before you get a promotion is normal. They want to make sure you're capable of managing the workload and jobs required of you before moving you full time into that role. You also need to ask yourself if you're working to the standard that's expected of you at that grade. If you're taking on all of the responsibilities of a higher grade then you're in the right place to ask for a promotion to match your capabilities.

I had duties way outside of my class for well over a year before I was promoted.

And don't be afraid to turn down work. If your workload is unmanageable because of extra duties they expect you to do that are above your role, let them know that you won't be able to get other stuff done. I know it's easier said then done.

Yeah, that's not gonna happen lol. I am one of 2 full-timers in this office.

Quote by Dreadnought
Quit working for the government

IMO the perks of working for the state outweigh the cons. I have a great retirement plan, health, dental, life insurance, paid vacation and sick days, plus I can keep all that stuff if I move to different cities within the state (provided I still work as state employee). Also, I'm making money as I sit here and bitch about my job on UG.
Last edited by StewieSwan at Feb 18, 2016,
Quote by StewieSwan
No, I can objectively prove that I deserve it. The state system has very strict guidelines about what duties fall under what job class. It would be very easy for me to compare my job duties with the state guidelines and prove that I should be a higher level. That's the audit process. It would get me promoted, but it would piss off my department director, because I went above her.

you can prove you are qualified not that you "deserve" a better promotion. has it occured to you that they didn't give a better promotion because the budget doesn't allow for it? oh and you have to do more well boo hoo welcome to the club. i'd love to feel bad for you if i (and most of the working world) didn't have the same issue. i do plenty of things around here that have nothing to do with my job description oh well. you have a job so be grateful there. all i can say is get used to it that is the way things are these days like it or not.
Quote by monwobobbo
you can prove you are qualified not that you "deserve" a better promotion. has it occured to you that they didn't give a better promotion because the budget doesn't allow for it? oh and you have to do more well boo hoo welcome to the club. i'd love to feel bad for you if i (and most of the working world) didn't have the same issue. i do plenty of things around here that have nothing to do with my job description oh well. you have a job so be grateful there. all i can say is get used to it that is the way things are these days like it or not.

Can you even read?
I feel lucky that I've worked in places where raises and promotions were mostly based on performance. My company promotes to management only after several personality tests and interviews. The first part of the process is anonymous, so applicants are based upon scores and experience.

Pretty fair.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I'm studying HR right now.

In Canada, workplace age discrimination is illegal from around 16 years (it varies by give or take a year in each provincial jurisdiction); the fact that you're only legally protected from age discrimination at 40 years + in the US is ridiculous; US employment law can be so so ass backwards.

The right thing to do would be to stand up for yourself and submit an audit. I don't see why you can't request a transfer if it doesn't work out in your favour though.
Quote by StewieSwan

Then, go for it. That's what the procedure is there for.

But that's a big difference than saying it was age discrimination. You have no evidence of that except hearsay.
Quote by BobBastard
Then, go for it. That's what the procedure is there for.

But that's a big difference than saying it was age discrimination. You have no evidence of that except hearsay.

No, hearsay is what a third party told you they were told a person said or did. In this case as I understand it there's a person who actually claims to have heard the person say it, directly and personally. That's not hearsay, it's direct knowledge.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
No, hearsay is what a third party told you they were told a person said or did. In this case as I understand it there's a person who actually claims to have heard the person say it, directly and personally. That's not hearsay, it's direct knowledge.

You are technically correct, the best kind of correct
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by StewieSwan
Can you even read?

yes i can read just fine. pointing at some book with guidelines doesn't prove that you "deserve" a promotion again it just proves you have the qualifications. perhaps you are to close to this to be truly objective. perhaps there are other reasons that they didn't promote you higher than they did (you did get a promotion right?)

i've been on both sides of the desk and am a fair bit older than you. things like "fair" or "deserved" have gone out the window in todays economy. i've spent many years in a corporate environment and have seen first hand that they could care less about you unless they can profit from you. gov't work is no different and often worse. you make a stink you will be gone i assure you of that. i also assure you there are ten guys behind you that would be more than happy to be an ass kisser and take your place.

i understand this sucks but get used to it cuz it ain't gonna change.
Quote by monwobobbo
i've been on both sides of the desk and am a fair bit older than you. things like "fair" or "deserved".

how about 'legal'? My boss is violating state policy.
Page 1 of 2