Hi all,

I own an Ibanez RG721-RW ; amazing guitar that I bought in December. Up until now its caused me no problems. However, recently I seemed to have noticed that on a clean channel and using the bridge pick up, when you play loudly it starts to distort. Obviously this is fine for when you want distortion, but when you're playing clean, you want it to sound clean! I tried different amps and changing the pickup used, but the same thing happens on ONLY the bridge pick up. Being relatively new ,its been set up well and Ive only just started noticing the problem. I know these are humbuckers and output higher, but it shouldn't be as significant as this.

Basically any ideas or things I try!

Thanks
Bridge humbuckers that are hotter don't stay clean most of the time unless you roll the volume and tone pots down.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thats what I assumed to, however I did try rolling down both. Could some resistor have blown or got damaged? Would that cause something like that to happen?
Quote by EpicGuitarGuy13
Thats what I assumed to, however I did try rolling down both. Could some resistor have blown or got damaged? Would that cause something like that to happen?

without hearing first hand it is hard to say what the issue is. the volume/tone trick would have been my first guess

Take any pedals or extra cables out of the signal chain and see if that helps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is right , there is a lot of compromise when it comes to guitars as if we ever find the perfect sound in the guitar that can do everything we'd all have far less reasons to buy them.

From years of re-wiring guitars you'll only run into two problems with potentiometers in guitars. Either it'll be over heating from re-soldering trying a million wirings or pickups. That or a scratchiness as they can get dirty; but like the fretboard there is maintenance required.

capacitors only certain kinds you run into problems with would be a beginner trying to solder in a say an actual 1950s sprague (vishay) bumblebee or any other heat sensitive capacitor like paper in oil ones. Other than that replacing tone capacitors or anything in between with them I've never, ever had issues with. With higher end capacitors use heat sinks of course.

honestly though when it comes to guitars, not just pickups as pickups get wayyyyy too much praise and glory what I tell people is two or three things

#1 - adjust the pickup height (or pole pieces if you're braver) to fine tune the sound of the pickup. Lowering the pickup will make it less higher in output, putting it closer is louder.

#2 - try modifying the wiring to better suit your needs, parallel wiring is very common for high output pickups if you hate hum but want an amazing clean tone.

#3 - or even though i talk down about pickups sometimes medium output may be more your thing; but honestly find me a guitar/guitarist that will have just one guitar and be 100% happy; like bands , foods to the smallest things we want different every now and then.

when it comes to modifcations
parallel wiring is my #1 suggestion , coilsplits if you're desperate as coilsplits are pretty good in clean settings

a much easier solution - if you never use the classic tone knob use an audio transformer such as the 42TL021 xicon transformer. it's pretty common in the guitar world what you can do with it as lots of mods exist out there the more i google this. Pretty much I use a transformer to take away output of a pickup, to my ears so don't quote me on it, it emulates parallel wiring in even 2 wire pickups where it was impossible without it. You can also attach this to a switch as well. This sucks away the muddiness of pickups in a more useful way for like modern metal and all , it's part of this special tone knob i'm putting together later this month as i liked the blend variant of it so much.

the worst idea yet an effective idea as this like everything else we add or do to the guitar there won't be cons, use a capacitor before the pickups hot lead to filter out the pickups output , giving the illusion that the tone is rolled down to say 5 or 7 (depending on how strong the capacitor is) but the con is although your clean may get better your output of your bridge pickup would be sacrificed.
Thanks guys, I may adjust the pickup height and see if that makes a difference.

Oh and I'm not too sure about modding this guitar at the moment, although my old squier stratocaster could be pimped out a bit :p

The idea of parallel wiring sounds interesting and I'll definitely look into it!