Okay, so this is my big goal of life.

I've heard of composers, and a few guitar guys (aka Prince being the only one) who are familiar enough with music they can write songs, be it pop songs or little symphonies, with nothing but a page of standard notation and a pen/pencil.

I can't do this, and I am in total awe of those who can. I'd be able to compose so much more with only those two items as the needed tools to write music.

Can any of you guys or gals do this? Is it a normal thing? What kind of things do you have to practice to learn how and how long does it take?

Obviously I'm really obsessed with this and would LOVE to hear your answers - jokes are cool too, but I want so badly to learn about this.

I appreciate you all! Thanks!
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Founder of the Soundgarden Fan Club (Louder Than F*ck!). PM me to join.
This is going to make me sound like an idiot but I can't read music so I was wondering what is standard notation? Is that blank sheet music or something? When I just read the title I thought you were talking about just a pen and regular lined paper. Anyway I can't believe that people can do that.
I just want to know that I did all I could with what I was given.
I'm not sure about everything, but for guitar tab ideas, I found a notebook works great. Just draw lines for each string and jot down the frets?
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Thanks for the responses you guys - and, mr.******, don't feel dumb - that is a valid question!

I mean sitting down with standard notation and a pen and writing the way that dudes who write symphonies write - the sounds in their heads right onto the paper.

I know they often do this at a piano or other instrument because sometimes all our ears need to confirm a sound is to quickly play it before moving on. I'm fascinated by this and feel it would give an incredible amount of freedom to me. I just don't know what I should practice for it - probably a lot of interval studies and time signature/note duration studies.

Jesus I just feel the dopamine hit my brain when I think about being able to do that....
Also, bjgrifter, that would be really badass too! Just some way to record the music on paper would be ultimate. Do you ever try to play what you've written down and find you wrote it wrong? What did you do to be able to do that? Or maybe it came naturally to you? If so = hell yes, sir!
I can write 'fuck' but not 'r-etard' in the forums haha interesting... at least UG is looking out for our less fortunate people of the world hahaha
Also, you guys think this might be better in the music theory forum? Hmm...

Edit:

didn't see that edit button. Good lord - sorry for the what, quadruple post? Ugh.
Last edited by scottishmob at Feb 23, 2016,
Let me know how this goes. I don't have any advice to give you. Sorry. But like you I am really interested in this.
I just want to know that I did all I could with what I was given.
Quote by scottishmob
Also, bjgrifter, that would be really badass too! Just some way to record the music on paper would be ultimate. Do you ever try to play what you've written down and find you wrote it wrong? What did you do to be able to do that? Or maybe it came naturally to you? If so = hell yes, sir!

If I'm just playing around and think "Hey, that's pretty cool!" I want to remember it, and since I'm still learning, knowing what the hell I played for later is nice. I also have different tunings (CGCFAD, AEADGBE, DADGBE) I haven't written any tabs on a computer before and it seemed simpler to use something with lines in place to jot down riffs. A notepad seemed like the easiest way to do this. I just write the string tunings like a tab and put down the positions.

I don't really have any recording equipment outside the Rocksmith cable, so I haven't recorded anything yet.

My method of 'writing' generally involves me practicing a song I want to learn and the "If I did this...Oh, hey, that's pretty cool."

Keep in mind, I've been playing less than a year. I'd like to have a means of making music to give some backing to my lyrics. I find it easier to see stuff applied and then focus in with some theory.

This isn't to say recording is bad. I just like having a visual written down.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer