Hello UG community. I have recently obtained a Peavey 120w JSX head and the cab and I have been doing some research on new tubes. Eventually I'm going to put in 6CA7's, because of the befeed up low end and mid response (which is perfect for the genre I play) But I would like to start with replacing the pre amp tubes first, considering this amp has a exponential amount of hum to it.
I'm familiar with
v1: Input / Shared
v2: Ultra/Crunch
v3: Active EQ for the Ultra + Crunch Channel
v4: Phase Inverter
So with that being said, what pre amp tubes do you think would best suite me and the doom metal genre I play in.
Please note I'm well aware that damn near every doom/ stoner band has Orange, Marshall, or Laney but this is what I was able to afford and this is what I have to work with. So no useless "Go get and Orange rig" comments please
Tune low and Play slow
i use mostly JJ12AX7's in mine, but i do frequently throw a tuns sol in the second position. JJ5751 in the PI. i have heard good things about the sovtek LPS as a PI, but i haven't tried one yet.

speakers make a bigger difference. min is sitting on top of a cab with a pair of T75's and a single eminence legend 15". i like it a lot with that speaker combination. however, i haven't mic'd it up ever. i don't use that amp for gigging, and don't do a ton or recording.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
i assume that you want to have that sludge sound so putting a tube that distorts less in the first position isn't what you want. any good quality tubes should do the trick.

no need to feel guilty as that amp does what you want really well. the active EQ will give you sounds those other amps can't really get. agree with trashed that the speakers you run it through will have more impact on sound. my Ultra does a good doom sound with my strat so you should have no issues getting a good doomy tone. it may not have the gain that some of the other amps you mentioned do but an overdrive will fix that (and give you a more focused sound.
OK. So I have heard that the JJ's aren't the greatest. At least not in JSX from some of the forums I have been browsing. From some of the complaints I have read, it's still a little bit to brittle. So Tung Sols maybe? What is your configuration you are running in yours?
Tune low and Play slow
As far as the speakers I really have no issues with them at all. I really want a 5150 cab. But this is a really good cab for right now, so fuck it. The reason I'm going with the tubes is because of the humming. It's pretty bad
Tune low and Play slow
Yeah I realize it's not the best amp for doom. I more or less want to just get rid of the hum. And take out some of the Ultra channel high gain. It's just a little to sharp for my liking. From what I have been reading, many people have gotten rid of the hum completely and really darkened the tone up just from changing the pre amp tubes. I have a wicked good fuzz pedal and already produce some bone crushing tone from the amp with the settings I have, I really just want to clean it up more. And I'm just asking for anyone's opinion on what pre amp tubes would work best for darkening up the tone
Tune low and Play slow
JJ's are of the more darker tubes, and from my experience quite rugged as well.

between amps that have JJ's in and spares, i probably have over 50 JJ's of various ages.

my general advice when recommending preamp tubes is as follows:

buy at least one 12AT7
buy at least one 5751
buy several JJ12AX7's
buy at least one mullard
buy at least one tungsol

that covers most of it, you have a decent variety for experimentation.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Hum? That amp has a built in noise gate, not sure what you're referring to.

Try 12AT7 or 12AU7 on the channels that you want to tame if you need less gain.
Maybe just an overall tube change will fix things as the tubes in it now might be old.
Peavey 5150 cabs suck, well the speakers in them do. Celestion G12h30 and G12m25 speakers (or clones) are the go to doom speakers. a cab with either of these or a combo of these would be my first

^ the JSX noise gate doesn't work like a stand alone noise gate pedal. My JSX sounded like a jet engine when not playing
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by trashedlostfdup

my general advice when recommending preamp tubes is as follows:

buy at least one 12AT7
buy at least one 5751
buy several JJ12AX7's
buy at least one mullard
buy at least one tungsol

that covers most of it, you have a decent variety for experimentation.

OK perfect. Finally making some headway now. I like how I specified in the original post that I don't want cab suggestions and that's what I get. So thank you for the PRE AMP TUBE advice.
Tune low and Play slow
Quote by diabolical
Hum? That amp has a built in noise gate, not sure what you're referring to.

Try 12AT7 or 12AU7 on the channels that you want to tame if you need less gain.
Maybe just an overall tube change will fix things as the tubes in it now might be old.

I don't think that noise gate actually does what it's supposed too. And even when I turn it on, still get a pretty bad hum.
Anyway as far as the 12AT7 and 12AU7 is there a particular brand you would recommend?
Tune low and Play slow
I know it sounds silly and like we are all JJ fanboys but really, try make the best non-NOS tube. I'd go to them for all my tubes unless you are willing to spend a considerable bit more on older NOS.

Sorry for the cab recommendations as well man, we just can't stress enough how much difference it can make. I can tell you this, I've played amps that I have HATED with certain speakers, and then I played them through a different set and all of a sudden I fell in love. The sharp, brittleness you're hearing sounds more like the product of the Peavey cab than tubes, but I understand budget restrictions.

In any case, JJ in most spots, if you want to spend some cash look into NOS Mullard, JAN Phillips, etc. I've found I'm partial to old GE tubes myself.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I know it sounds silly and like we are all JJ fanboys but really, try make the best non-NOS tube. I'd go to them for all my tubes unless you are willing to spend a considerable bit more on older NOS.

Sorry for the cab recommendations as well man, we just can't stress enough how much difference it can make. I can tell you this, I've played amps that I have HATED with certain speakers, and then I played them through a different set and all of a sudden I fell in love. The sharp, brittleness you're hearing sounds more like the product of the Peavey cab than tubes, but I understand budget restrictions.

In any case, JJ in most spots, if you want to spend some cash look into NOS Mullard, JAN Phillips, etc. I've found I'm partial to old GE tubes myself.

Well if the JJ's are good then why not. It really was only one or two forum posts where I heard that some folks were impartial about them. But if there is more people who actually really like them opposed to a small fraction who don't, then i don't see why not.
All good about the cab thing. Just from the research I have done there is enough people who actually notice how much high gain this amp has and change the tubes to warm it up. And are very pleased about it afterward. So I have no concern about the cab at all.
I used to have a Vox nightrain 50w head. It had chinese El34s in them and I switched them to some old Jan Philips tubes my buddy had from his old marshall head. And holy shit what a difference. I would like to get NOS tubes like some RFT's, but sadly I do have budget rescritions so I know that spending $50 - $60 on old tubes is out of the question. With the pre amps I can easily go out and buy one at a time to save myself some money from paycheck to paycheck
Tune low and Play slow