Hello all,

I'm new here. I'm 33 years of age and have recently returned to guitar playing after a number of years off (used to play back when I was a teenager). I have returned with much enthusiasm and even picked myself up some new kit to bring my playing more inline with my current position in life:
2015 American Standard Telecaster
2016 Les Paul Standard T
VOX AC15HW1X amplifier

I look forward to getting into the forum and participating wherever possible.

While I'm here, I have a question regarding solo writing/improvisation over major chord progressions if anyone would care to assist.

My question might be considered general knowledge but I am having a hard time finding a definitive answer online.

I am wondering if music theory supports playing notes from the natural minor scale over a major chord progression with the same tonic. Which is to say, can I play the C natural minor scale over a C major chord progression?

The obvious answer that I find online when others have asked similar questions is that I should use the A minor scale because this contains the same notes as the C Major scale:
C Major - C D E F G A B C
A Minor - A B C D E F G A

This is great, and this branches into mode theory which is fantastic and all, but my question remains can I play the C minor scale over a C major chord progression (lets say I IV V) even though the C minor scale uses notes outside of C Major:
C Minor - C D Eb F G Ab Bb

As mentioned above, I haven't really found a definitive answer in my reading online but I have so far come up with the following possibilities:
1) This is not inline with music theory and therefore has no place in modern music
2) This is not inline with music theory but is used extensively in genres link blues. In fact, it's the clashing notes that give blues that sweet, sweet bluesy sound
3) This is actually perfectly inline with music theory and I'm being a muppet

Can anyone please clear this up for me?