Recently my setup has been acting weird. When I play distortion, the sound often cracks and often when I play power chords the gain suddenly dies out for a while, the volume drops and I'm playing clean all of a sudden. This doesn't happen always, though.

When I actually am playing clean, it cracks like hell. This happens on all strings, all 5 pickup selections. I'm inclined to think this is a problem with my Stagg cable rather than my amp. It's been a while with the Stagg, I've been giving it hell (the spring has detached itself from one of the ends and hang uselessly near the middle). Sometimes shifting the position of the plug helps.

Do you think I'm right? In that case please recommend some reliable cable that will last longer. Could it be a problem with my amp?
i'd probably try the easy fix first- so the cable. where are you in the world? that'll affect what's easily available and decent value.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd probably try the easy fix first- so the cable. where are you in the world? that'll affect what's easily available and decent value.

India If the cable you have in mind is in stock on bajaao.com, I can get it.
Definitely sounds like your cable could be on it's last leg, are the cable ends encased in heat shrink or can you unscrew the covers to check the soldered connections?

Do you know someone who could loan you a cable to see if that is the issue? If not I'd would just buy a new one sounds like you are ready for new one either way.

If you find the cable is NOT the issue you may need to check the jacks on both your guitar and amp if you have a bent prong on a jack it can give a sketchy connection and is a simple fix. You should be able to carefully bend the prong back to make a tight connection.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Sounds like the jack to me. I've rarely had cables just fail.
I found a cheap-ass Rs.100 (slightly more than 1$) cable with a 3.5mm jack at the end, put a convertor bulllet-thingy on the end and it worked just fine with slightly more buzz than usual (ahem, $1) for the entire session. Guess it's the cable then. Yes I can unscrew them, the soldering looks fine as far as I can tell, but I am almost 100% convinced it's the cable.

Any suggestions for a good cable?
I'm throwing in a vote for a dead battery if you have active pickups
Nope I have passives.

EDIT: Not quite sure why you people aren't convinced yet that it's a cable problem, there seems to be plenty of evidence... But I'm very inexperienced so go on.
Last edited by josonmj at Feb 20, 2016,
Quote by josonmj
India If the cable you have in mind is in stock on bajaao.com, I can get it.

I'm not really familiar with anything on there, unfortunately. I know I'm not that keen on planet waves, but I haven't tried them for ages, they may have improved (or have different models since I tried them). But I didn't really like them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I found a pretty damn cheap cable by OnStage it seems to have lifetime warranty. Heard of them? They seem to be better known for their stands, wanted to know if this lifetime warranty thing is some gimmick.
I'm not very familiar with any of those brands except the D'Addario which are good cables. I would imagine the Ibanez cables would be good quality also.

So I would choose which you prefer the price/size of out of those brands.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by josonmj
I found a pretty damn cheap cable by OnStage it seems to have lifetime warranty. Heard of them? They seem to be better known for their stands, wanted to know if this lifetime warranty thing is some gimmick.

if it is like a lot of warranty's you must keep the original packaging, Monster was the only brand that would just do a straight in store swap but they are too expensive for what you actually get.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by josonmj
I found a cheap-ass Rs.100 (slightly more than 1$) cable with a 3.5mm jack at the end, put a convertor bulllet-thingy on the end and it worked just fine with slightly more buzz than usual (ahem, $1) for the entire session. Guess it's the cable then. Yes I can unscrew them, the soldering looks fine as far as I can tell, but I am almost 100% convinced it's the cable.

Any suggestions for a good cable?

Those adapters can't take much abuse. Chances are the internal contacts on the 3.5mm end are intermittently contacting the jack. You don't have to spend a fortune on a cable but buy a 1/4 to 1/4 mono guitar cable that; doesn't have molded connectors on the ends (a sure sign of extremely cheap construction) and isn't a "curly cord". Shouldn't be more than the $$ of a couple of sets of strings.
Moving on.....