Hi there,

I'm about to start putting my new guitar jigsaw together! Just a couple of questions of attaching the neck to the body I have....

So, I got the neck and body separately off eBay. As you can see in the pics....the body has quite a defined U shape cut away for the neck (Pic 1). As you can also see in Pic 2, the bottom of the neck is rounded.

1. Does the bottom of the neck need to sit flush with the bottom of the cutaway on the body?

In the 3rd pic, the end of the fretboard is ever so slightly too long and is just overlapping the humbucker surround. Would it be a problem to sand this off?

Thank for your replies :-)

Dave

Pic 1 http://s9.postimg.org/vx7nmm5pr/IMAG0041.jpg

Pic 2 http://s9.postimg.org/u2q7r4tbj/IMAG0043.jpg

Pic 3 http://s9.postimg.org/7cr2y5a3z/IMAG0045.jpg
Last edited by daveh6475 at Feb 19, 2016,
I just made my guitar last year. I want to help you set expectations first.

You are making a cheap guitar. I don't say that to criticize, and I'm sure you want to make it work as nicely as possible, but for your first project, especially using mismatched parts, you're probably going to mess something up.

Now that you expect it to be bad, there shouldn't be any harm in doing what it takes to get the parts together and learning what didn't exactly work.

When I made mine, I eventually learned that the cutaway was a little bit too deep on one side. The headstock had a miniscule amount of left-to-right flex that I couldn't see with my eyes, but occasionally showed up under string tension. A tight neck pocket is essential.

Taking small amounts of material off the heel of the neck might work out okay, but if the neck is loose in the pocket then your bolts won't completely stabilize it.
You also need to be careful about your scale length as well. If you shorten the neck by an eighth of an inch then the bridge will no longer be in the right position. It may make it impossible to intonate it.

Your best bet in all honesty would be to get a second body, the right body for your neck, and build that. Then later you could get a second neck to fit perfectly with the body you have. You'd end up with two guitars and the second one might play better since you had the extra experience.
Quote by paul.housley.7
I just made my guitar last year. I want to help you set expectations first.

You are making a cheap guitar. I don't say that to criticize, and I'm sure you want to make it work as nicely as possible, but for your first project, especially using mismatched parts, you're probably going to mess something up.

Now that you expect it to be bad, there shouldn't be any harm in doing what it takes to get the parts together and learning what didn't exactly work.

When I made mine, I eventually learned that the cutaway was a little bit too deep on one side. The headstock had a miniscule amount of left-to-right flex that I couldn't see with my eyes, but occasionally showed up under string tension. A tight neck pocket is essential.

Taking small amounts of material off the heel of the neck might work out okay, but if the neck is loose in the pocket then your bolts won't completely stabilize it.
You also need to be careful about your scale length as well. If you shorten the neck by an eighth of an inch then the bridge will no longer be in the right position. It may make it impossible to intonate it.

Your best bet in all honesty would be to get a second body, the right body for your neck, and build that. Then later you could get a second neck to fit perfectly with the body you have. You'd end up with two guitars and the second one might play better since you had the extra experience.

Thanks for your reply! You're right...it is cheap! The neck was £20 from china and the body inc. electronics was £40!

Okay, so realistically I'm not going to mess around sanding tiny pieces off it and trying to get it to fit in the pocket tightly for it not to work or impossible to intonate. It'd be more frustrating than it's worth and the neck would be a write off.

Next beginner question......

How do I ensure that I buy a new neck which will fit in the neck pocket of my existing cheap black LP style body or....
How do I ensure I buy a new body which will fit the current neck I have?!

Thanks for your reply, it's really helpful

Dave
Hi there,

I'm about to start putting my new guitar jigsaw together! Just a couple of questions of attaching the neck to the body I have....

So, I got the neck and body separately off eBay. As you can see in the pics....the body has quite a defined U shape cut away for the neck (Pic 1). As you can also see in Pic 2, the bottom of the neck is rounded.

1. Does the bottom of the neck need to sit flush with the bottom of the cutaway on the body?

In the 3rd pic, the end of the fretboard is ever so slightly too long and is just overlapping the humbucker surround. Would it be a problem to sand this off?

Thank for your replies :-)

Dave

yep. the neck pocket is tapered and that area where you have a mismatch, is where pressure is applied by the mating surfaces to force the sides of the neck heel in place against the walls of the neck pocket. when one makes a guitar the test of a perfect neck joint is whether you can pick up the guitar by the neck and the body won't fall out without the bolts in. it should be snug.

but, i guess it really comes down to whether or not that concerns you. anybody can make anything work given time and money (more or less). forum people perform modern day miracles of shade tree craftsmanship and call it good enough so it really depends on your expectations.

it seems like you have a strat like neck going onto a lp like body. did you check the scale length? center of 1st fret to center of 12th fret x 2 gives you the uncompensated scale length. basically this distance is where you'll put your bridge. do things measure ok with that body and neck combo?
Last edited by ad_works at Feb 19, 2016,
Quote by daveh6475
Thanks for your reply! You're right...it is cheap! The neck was £20 from china and the body inc. electronics was £40!

Okay, so realistically I'm not going to mess around sanding tiny pieces off it and trying to get it to fit in the pocket tightly for it not to work or impossible to intonate. It'd be more frustrating than it's worth and the neck would be a write off.

Next beginner question......

How do I ensure that I buy a new neck which will fit in the neck pocket of my existing cheap black LP style body or....
How do I ensure I buy a new body which will fit the current neck I have?!

Thanks for your reply, it's really helpful

Dave

generally speaking, strat neck, strat body. lp neck, lp body but there are exceptions. scale length is the driver. not every mfg makes neck and pocket joints exactly the same so you'll have to roll the dice on this one or fit them together before you buy. maybe you can take what you have to a shop and see what they can do for you?
Last edited by ad_works at Feb 19, 2016,
I did one like that, no problem. I left the gaps at the end because the fretboard extension hides them. You just have to be careful that the neck is in the right place for correct intonation.

There is still reasonable working space between the pickup ring and the neck pocket. I would just take the minimum necessary off the extension to allow seating with the pickup ring, if that is needed for correct intonation. - But it is really intonation that dictates what you should do.
Adworks answered your questions. The only thing I would add - you might get okay results by matching parts from the same manufacturer. Have an ESP neck? ESP body. Squier neck? Squier body.

It's not quite that simple, but that should get you closer.